Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Books

Posted 04-25-2022 06:58
    I have retired and need to downsize my personal library. All these theatre books and scripts need a good home. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Books

Posted 04-26-2022 11:34
    I had the same problem when I retired 5 years ago. I was able to give away some scripts to various people online. It was easy to mail them and I only asked for postage. I had a huge collection of tech books that I knew I would not use again and so I announced I would have a yard "sale" on a certain day and anyone in the theatre community here in Louisville could come and take what they wanted. FREE! I just wanted them to be used. NO ONE showed up! no one! 
    The next week a friend from Lexington called and asked if I had any left and he came over and took all of them for his library and his school's library. It was very frustrating. I even put a short video online showing the books available.

Good luck!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 3.  RE: Books

Posted 04-27-2022 10:40
    If anyone is near California, the California Educational Theatre Association welcomes donations from retiring theatre educators. Our annual library sale funds student scholarships and is a highlight of the annual CETA Conference. 

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre Arts • Chair, Visual & Performing Arts
    Past President, CA Educational Theatre Association
    He /Him /His

• 4.  RE: Books

Posted 04-27-2022 11:29
    John Perry, 
       That is so sad to hear as I thought of doing a rummage sale of books, props and costumes for just theatre people. What a waste of time.
    Trudianne 

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Books

Posted 04-26-2022 13:09
    I don't know if your state has a professional organization for Theatre Arts teachers.  If one exists, you might show up at their annual meeting and just spread out your books.  North Carolina Theatre Arts Educators, for example, always has a table at the fall conference for teachers to place or take books and scripts.  

You might contact your state's Chapter Director to find out whether it would be possible to bring your books to your state's Thespian Festival for teachers and/or students.

If you have a college or university nearby that has a teacher education program in Theatre, they might be happy to offer your materials to their certification candidates. 

Congratulations on your retirement! 

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 6.  RE: Books

Posted 04-28-2022 09:06
    Check out the website:  www.paperbackswap.com

This website serves as a matchmaker between people who have books to unload, and people searching for books.  I pay a nominal fee for an annual membership that allows an unlimited number of swaps.   You create a virtual "bookshelf" for the items you want to get rid of, and as folks search for items of interest, they can claim what you have.  You do pay to send the books to the "customer" (a little over $3 for media mail for most items) - but you get a "credit" on the website, which then allows you to claim a book for yourself.

Books do not have to be only paperbacks, despite the name.  You only pay to send books, never to receive.     We just went through a major HS construction project, and I've moved into 3 different classrooms the past 3 years - and this allowed us to clear some shelves and reduce what needed to be packed.  And then we selected new books to add to our classroom libraries.  I have a bookshelf in a spare bedroom at home for the items on my virtual bookshelf - so when I get a request, it's easy to pull it, wrap it and mail it.   We cleaned out the children's books my boys don't want to keep forever (saving our most favorites, of course) - and all those mystery/romance novels I've read over the years.   I have almost 100 credits - and I've been searching for scripts and project books to add to my theatre library now that I'm settling into my new space.

You can clear out your scripts, textbooks, etc... and then use those credits to receive novels and things to read in your retirement!

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor High School