Open Forum

View Only

Trouble with Tams Witmark?

• 1.  Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-30-2019 09:15
    Anyone have experience working with Tams Witmark? I have been trying to get ahold of them all week to figure out an issue with out license and have yet to hear anything back. I have called and can't ever get an actual person. I have emailed multiple places and never get a response. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Freaking out a bit because we audition in a little over a week and our scripts haven't arrived yet and no one will answer me as to what is going on
    --
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-30-2019 11:45
    I haven't worked with them in years because of this type of issue. I remember there was a thread on this before and one of their reps commented on it. I think the thread was called trouble with tams... or something like that. Anyway, that may be able to give you a direct link to a name of a person to contact

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-31-2019 09:50
    From my understanding of the situation, Concord Music now owns Tams, Samuel French, R & H, and The Musical Company. My experience with them the past year has been horrendous. I submitted a license request with R & H and never heard back from them. We had a contract to do Joseph and ended up cancelling the show and it took almost 6 months to get a refund on our royalty and rental fees. I was calling and emailing every week. The excuse that I kept receiving was that their CFO resigned and it was taking longer to get refunds processed. Then when they finally had it processed I had to wait several weeks for the CEO to supposedly sign the check. I am hoping it is a case of growing too rapidly and adjusting to the increased responsibilities. However, it definitely has me thinking twice about doing another show through them in the near future. I have heard about others having difficulties with R & H as well as Samuel French. I guess we are stuck with looking at shows from MTI or Theatrical Rights Worldwide for this year. My experiences with them over the past 20 years of directing has been phenomenal.

Andy Cantrell
    Director of Theatre/Teacher
    Findlay OH

• 4.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-31-2019 10:33
    We are doing "Cabaret" this year, so we're working with Tams. So far (knock on wood) we've been okay. I received my contract rather quickly and submitted payment without issue. However, we don't begin rehearsals until late-January, so we'll see how things go as we get closer to the time when materials should ship. If it's helpful, this is the email address from Concord that sent me our contract. Natty.Koper@rnh-tams.com She appears to be the coordinator of amateur licensing.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-31-2019 11:28
    They are  definitely an "old-school" organization.  I used them last year and had a few bumps, but everything worked out. I did all my communication online. Good luck!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 08-31-2019 16:44
    I worked with Debra Medina from Tams last year when I did Wizard of Oz. She was very helpful on many issues including a cancelled show due to the polar vortex.
    I do agree that it is now almost impossible to contact RnH or Tams by phone. Try email.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 7.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 09-01-2019 09:15
    I am am working with Tams Witmark on my musical right now and they are a little difficult. One of my issues with them is that they require a hard copy of the signed contract to be snail-mailed to them while it is a-okay for them to e-mail it to you. So what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. It is a minor issue (and a first-world problem) but I would like to get these things done as quickly and easily as possible.

I do not have trouble with Samuel French at all. I think this is because they assign me (and you) a specific rep to deal with so you call and talk to them instead of whatever random person answers the phone like at Tams and a few other places (I am looking at you Dramatists Play Service!). My rep at Sam French has told me that very soon she will be handling the licensing for all Tams  and RnH shows in addition to French properties so I am looking forward to that day.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearns.org

• 8.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 09-02-2019 07:22
    Mark,
    I had a similar issue with Tams and R& H about the snail mail copy of the contract, especially because one of them(I can't remember which one) wanted the check and contract together. With our payment system, they are moving to electronic payments, so I had so many hoops to try to jump through to get both pieces together.last year, our office sent both parts separately and it added an additional three weeks to get our materials because they "got the contract, but didn't have the check"  then I got notification that they had a check from us, but didn't know why or what it was for.

It is cumbersome. The sad part is that we don't have a choice of who to work with if we want a particular show.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 9.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 09-01-2019 12:20
    Hello Lisa,

As stated above, Tams has been the most difficult to work with when producing a show. I hope that with Concord, things will change.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 10.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 09-01-2019 21:26

• 11.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 09-03-2019 11:07
    Look forward to seeing the Website Kim.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 12.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 11-08-2019 20:42
    Hi Kim.

Exciting in seeing the new website, and thank you for explaining what is happening with the merger. I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 13.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 11-05-2019 10:34
    After 2 months of leaving messages with no response whatsoever, I finally received an email from Concord after threatening to never rent with them again (which I probably won't, anyway). So as everyone said, email them and you'll have better luck.

They claimed to be understaffed which is why they won't pick up the phone...or return messages for 2 months.

Matthew Levine
    Waynesboro PA

• 14.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 11-05-2019 11:05
    Maybe "claimed to be understaffed" isn't the kindest way of approaching this? It sounds like they're going through a big transition. It's definitely frustrating to not get a response, but maybe we can offer a little bit of empathy for the situation. Looking forward to seeing how things change once their new website launches. Hopefully things will get better for everyone.

Becca Lillias

• 15.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 11-05-2019 11:44
    I'm certainly not trying to be unkind. I certainly hope things get better for everyone, including them. I just wish there would be a bit more communication when we are in a time-sensitive profession....And perhaps I am harsh, blunt, and maybe even rude, but after someone cashes a check that you write them for well over $3,000 and then doesn't return calls for 2 months, I think frustration is the appropriate response.

Matthew Levine
    Waynesboro PA

• 16.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 11-09-2019 10:37
    Years ago I heard speaker break the ice by telling his theatre audience, "I hate Tams-Witmark."
    This was greeted by great sympathetic applause.
    It sounds like things haven't changed much...
    Let's all hope the consolidation and automation of the several companies now under new management of Concord Theatricals goes QUICKLY and smoothly.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 17.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 02-10-2020 13:30
    OMG. After 6 weeks, I sent a message to Kim Rogers, the Concord person who was all over this forum in the fall, encouraging us to contact her directly.

Here is the automated response: 

Thank you for your message. Kim rogers is no longer employed by Concord. Please contact Jenn Carter (jennifer.carter@concord.com) for further assistance.

As I live and breathe...

Anna

Annemarie Bean
    Director of Drama
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT

• 18.  RE: Trouble with Tams Witmark?

Posted 02-10-2020 13:36
    Contact rosemary.bucher@concord.com

She will help you!