Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Theatre Course

Posted 09-06-2018 11:44
    The choral music director and I would like to propose a Musical Theatre course next year. Just curious if anyone has a class like this, and if I might be able to get some ideas from you. It would be audition only with 50 or so students. It would be best if it fits A-G requirements for California. Thank you for your help!!

--
    Jana Petersdorf
    English/Drama
    Tulare Western High School

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (18 USCA § 2510). This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA § 2511 and any applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone and delete any and all electronic and hard copies of this communication, including attachments, without reading them or saving them to disk.

• 2.  RE: Musical Theatre Course

Posted 09-07-2018 08:57
    Hello,
    I co-teach a Musical Theatre course for 7th and 8th graders.  We typically choose a theme (Back to School, Dream Roles, Reminiscing, The 60s, etc.), pull songs that support that theme, then devise a narrative around the sequence of songs.  We end up with a 20-30 minute show that is given tech support by our Technical Theatre class.  It's a really nice collaboration between the students and great preparation for them once they get involved with our Upper School productions in 9th-12th grade.

------------------------------
    Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 3.  RE: Musical Theatre Course

Posted 03-11-2022 16:28
    Jana, did you ever get your Musical Theatre course A-G approved? I am a CA public high school theatre teacher looking to add a 7th period (after school) semester-long Musical Theater Production course to our school's offerings and would love some help getting started. I did find a few ideas in the forum and under resources, but to be A-G certified means there needs to be a literacy component, so I was wondering if that ever worked out for you?
    Thanks!

Summer Heartt
    Theatre Arts - Teacher/Director
    American Canyon High School
    American Canyon, California, USA