Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-20-2015 07:14

Our production program is extracurricular.  Increasingly, parents make last minute appointments and pull students out of rehearsal or refuse to allow students to stay until the end of rehearsal because it doesn't meet their schedules.  I have contracts in place but those are largely un-enforceable. I would appreciate any suggestions of tactics anyone uses to handle these problems.

Nancy Curtis

Director of Theatre Arts

www.patriotplayhouse.org

State Board: Virginia Thespians

www.vathespian.org

Member: USITT/Chesapeake Region

An amateur rehearses until he gets it right.

A professional rehearses until he can't get it wrong.

• 2.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 05:35

Hi Nancy!

We also use contracts at my school.  I'm not sure what yours looks like, but for ours, they are allowed 1 or 2 unexcused absences (depending on the length of the production).  Once they hit that mark, consequences set in.  Typically it is losing a performance.  That means we use understudies from the get-go.  Everyone is aware of the set up, and the understudies work pretty hard to be ready. 

It has been awhile since we've had a major issue.  A couple of years ago we had a couple of performers lose a performance, but the understudies were ready. 

Something else that we have done the past two years is hold a parent meeting for the show.  They can be held either as part of a pre-audition/callout meeting, or as a meeting after the show has been cast.  This would be another opportunity to emphasize with parents the importance of the rehearsal schedule and for scheduling things outside of that time.

Oh, something else we do (and you might already do this), is have students list what conflicts they have with the rehearsal schedule before they audition.  This goes on their callout form that lists all the other particulars about themselves.  Our rule is that if we cast you and you have put those conflicts on there, those absences will be excused.  Otherwise, they will be unexcused.  This is good especially for those pesky ortho appointments!

I hope this has helped! 

Ray

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 06:43

In my contract that parents and students sign, it states "My child and I fully understand the time commitment we aremaking. We understand that missing rehearsals or adding conflicts after being cast may impact his/her ability to remain in their role"  I just have to not be afraid of enforcing :-)

Amanda Meldrum
    Drama and Music Instructor
    Allendale Columbia School
    Rochester NY

• 4.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 08:17

I'm in Middle School, but we use contracts as well, and get conflicts up front. Any un-planned absence is considered unexcused, and after three unexcused absences we assign an understudy. After five, I have the option to allow the understudy to take the role entirely. I'm having to make good on this right now. We have just assigned an understudy for a role, and will give him one performance. The actor originally cast will do all other performances, assuming there are no further issues. 

I also have one ensemble member who will not be in 76 Trombones, because she's missed every rehearsal where we've worked on it, and it's too confusing to add her in now. Ditto a different student and Shipoopi. 

We did a parent meeting after the cast was announced and stressed attendance. Frequent emails home work for me. I send an email each week, reminding them of our rehearsal plans for the week. When parents or students notify me of unplanned absences, I thank them and remind them that it will be considered unexcused. "Unexcused" seems to be a key word for some parents...they sometimes change their plans. ;)

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 08:28

Sounds like you're doing everything right, but it's still so frustrating.  This is the biggest problem with school theatre programs.  Sports don't have these issues because due to several backup players, athletes are motivated (as are the parents) to attend all practices for fear of losing their starting spot.

I compensate by explaining that if a kid misses or leaves - or just isn't making the show a priority - he/she will be moved to the "back line" or removed from a particular number.  The kids and parents always protest when this happens, but the contract that I give out, as well as the one you're using, clearly spells this out.  If the student has a lead role, they lose it.

I don't use understudies or double-casting due to time factors.  But if I have to have the stage manager perform on-book or have another student replace the lead, that's showbiz.

Break a leg!

--Josh

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 11:03

I have used contracts for years because of this issue. I also have a parent meeting after casting is complete. I cast understudies and they are responsible for all deadlines the actors are. I allow one unexcused absence, and 3 to 5 excused absences before the main actor is moved to understudy status. In my contract I also include grades, 2.0 average with no F's. I just had to be the heavy and remove two actors a week before the show because they had F's on their quarter report card. It's not fun, but it is necessary, especially in this time where kids are expected to do everything.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 7.  RE: Holding Students Accountable to Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-21-2015 11:46

We also use contracts. They have to be signed before auditions begin, and they state that if you miss more that 3 unexcused rehearsals you may be replaced. And I've done it. I replaced a kid during hell week once. I haven't really had much of an issue since. I also provide both a general rehearsal schedule and a track list that can be viewed online. Kids and parents know that they will not be at rehearsal unless they will be actively used. This has also helped keep the kids there when I need them. 

I've taken the initiative to call the parents of kids who are running into this issue. Usually this also helps with the problem. The parents are able to ask any questions about the reasons for the timing of the rehearsals and that tends to get them to have more flexibility about their future choices in scheduling. It doesn't always take care of the issue for that particular production, but I rarely have the same issue in future shows with them.  

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ