Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Observation Lesson Suggestions

Posted 10-20-2018 15:42
    I am a first year Theatre and Musical Theatre teacher in a Florida public high school.  I need a strong lesson plan for my formal observation.  I will be observed in a 50 minute class---probably with a combination of Theatre 2 and 3 students.  Any suggestions and file sharing is appreciated!

Julie Dukes

--
    Julie Dukes
    Drama & Musical Theatre Teacher
    Fleming Island High School
    2233 Village Square Parkway
    Fleming Island, FL  32003
    904-710-9358

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. This communication may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 2.  RE: Observation Lesson Suggestions

Posted 10-21-2018 09:00
    What are you currently working on with your class?  What does your Theatre 2 and 3 class consist of?  My Theatre 2 class is acting and my theatre 3 class is directing.  They are often combined due to lower numbers, so when that happens I try to use the the theatre 3 students as directors for the theatre 2 students.  
    Do you use a textbook?  I found in my early years of teaching, it was helpful to follow the textbook because it was formatted in a logical progression (for the most part) (that being said I think Audience Etiquette needs to be at the beginning).
    Another resource to explore is Teachers Pay Teachers.  I have found free and inexpensive lessons that have been great.  
    And Theatrefolk has a drama teacher academy that might be worth exploring if you have a budget to work with.  
    I think its somewhat hard to answer your question because there are so many factors.

------------------------------
    Hannah Barnes
    Morgantown WV

• 3.  RE: Observation Lesson Suggestions

Posted 10-22-2018 05:26
    I always try to get admin to observe on a day where we are doing critique. They are not used to seeing students critique each other in a meaningful, supportive, honest way. It blows their administrator minds! So if your kids are trained well in critique, I'd recommend that. Works every time.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 4.  RE: Observation Lesson Suggestions

Posted 10-22-2018 16:58
    Do you do any Shakespeare?  Working scenes and/or speeches allows for a direct link to the English department to showcase collaboration and (I'll admit I love it) it's always a good go to piece of theatre to work on. I have a great cut of Julius Caesar Act 4 Scene 3 with Brutus and Cassius that I love to work with students.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ