Open Forum

View Only

Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

• 1.  Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-25-2017 15:28
    This interesting blog article provides some food for thought on this matter.

What do you all think? In what ways would free or reduced licensing costs impact your theater program?

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 2.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-26-2017 06:23
    I do not think this blog post is based on fact or good sense. 

There is an issue here aww that deserves attention, however. High poverty schools are lacking funds for many of the educational amenities of which theatre is one.

I do not know of one school that has stopped presenting theatre because of the cost of rights. Recent data indicates that there is more school theatre available than at any time in recent history.

Both EdTA and Disney Theatricals have recently developed programs to support theatre in high poverty schools.

From my experience, all licensing agencies will work with schools to lower the cost of performance rights.

To offer free royalties simply takes money out of the pockets of writers and composers. I suppose they might be willing on a limited basis but it would be their choice and not the licensing company.

• 3.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-26-2017 13:33
    I agree that there are faults with the blog article. But I thought it would generate an interesting discussion.

I agree with you that offering free or discounted licensing would have to be at the discretion of the the authors. There's just no way around that because you cannot ethically force someone to share their art for free. 

However, I do like the article's idea regarding a grant-like program for some licensing companies with the help of authors/composers, and external donors to essentially donate the cost of licensing (so authors and composers get their fair payment) to a few deserving schools who have applied for aid and demonstrated real need. I know that there are many licensing companies that make pricing adjustments for schools (bless you and thank you!), but these adjustments are often blanket discounts that apply to all schools (regardless of title 1 status or need) and may still not come close enough to affordability for some schools. Perhaps having an extra layer of financial aid for really struggling schools would be enough to give these programs the boost they need to be profitable and self sustaining, allowing them to eventually no longer need to apply for financial aid and ideally license and pay for shows autonomously.

On a separate note, I wonder how a program like this might curb the stealing of shows (producing but not paying for licensing). We all hear plenty of tales of schools and community theaters who steal shows (which is of course extremely unethical) because paying the licensing fees would essentially blow their entire budget. While we as theater educators know there are good plays out there with more affordable rights, most of the plays and musicals that are well-known and recognizable enough to draw in a strong audience are more expensive. If underserved schools felt like they could apply to get some serious financial aid to produce a famous full length play or musical, would they be less inclined to just steal it? Or on the flip side, would knowing one could potentially be awarded the rights for "free" give people more incentive to buck the rules and think, "Screw it, I was going to get it for free anyway, so who cares if I apply or pay?" I don't know.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting discussion nevertheless.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 4.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-27-2017 16:33

The blog article is certainly an interesting point of view. Yes, there are a few large companies that charge big money for shows, typically well known musicals.  Sure, you probably could spend a couple grand on royalties for a blockbuster musical title. But...

While the companies mentioned may have many excellent titles, there are quite a few other publishers and licensing agencies that offer strong titles at a fraction of the cost. No, these shows may not have been on Broadway (or even off-Broadway), but most Broadway and off-Broadway titles were written for adult professional performers, not young people. I understand wanting to do the latest hit because of its name recognition, but it's important also to consider that there are many shows out there that are no less exciting or challenging--and can probably provide a more meaningful theatre experience--but more age-appropriate.

So rather than asking for companies to reduce their royalties or give shows away for free (which isn't generally their call to make), many schools would be better served refocusing and/or expanding their searches.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-28-2017 14:53

I think it's about sacrificing short term high profits for the long term health of the industry.
    I think there are a lot of schools (particularly junior high schools where there are often no arts programs at all) that would do musicals and potentially launch theater programs if it weren't for the large up front costs involved. Most school theater programs are self sustaining clubs, which means all their money comes from ticket sales and fundraising. Often these are programs with no seed money at all, and the $3-4,000 required for royalties might be too scary to commit to, even if it was not required up front (which at least part of it usually is). No one knows in a new program if they will bring in any ticket money or how much. And if the show fails to sell tickets, who covers that $3,000 royalty bill? The teacher herself out of pocket? Or the admin of the title 1 school which will now have to find that money elsewhere? (this could well mean the teachers job if the principal isn't VERY understanding!)  Her entire program will sink or swim based on how many kids show up for auditions and how many butts she can put in the seats. The risk she is taking is pretty high. So maybe ease off on her a little?

If you are trying to start an arts program at your school, you definitely want a musical and you definitely want something the kids are familiar with in order to build engagement. Maybe in a few years you can try an unknown title from a lesser known publisher (many teachers do) but for your first few times out of the gate with uncertain student engagement and unknown audience support, you need a very VERY recognizable title. Disney is ideal for that, but even the Disney Junior series is not that cheap. Yes, MTI has some great programs to help out poorly financed schools but I'm not sure how many first theater teachers would be aware of them.

I think it would be in the best interest of publishers to do whatever it takes to help build new programs in schools and help floundering programs back on their feet. I can tell you from experience, most parents are shocked when they find out that $3-4,000 of their hard earned bake-sale money went to simply getting the rights to produce the spring musical. When that's half the budget for the entire show it doesn't make the publishers look like the good guys. I know that's industry standard or whatever, and that artists should be fairly compensated for their work, but to the general public it often looks like a greedy industry feeding off of needy children who just want to do a school play. It would definitely be worth looking at how to change that image. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 6.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-29-2017 09:05
    I am confused where this $3000 - $4000 figure is coming from.

If I am a struggling middle school or high school I am going to start small. I may not choose to present a musical right out of the gate -- they are expensive and hard to do. It would make sense to wait and build up interest, finances, and support.

If I am going to do a musical right away I am going to go small. Probably a two-show run with a limited budget and low expectations for attendance. I would expect to keep ticket prices low so everyone can afford them.

Using the MTI cost estimator, the rights-related expenses for a non-Disney show would likely be between $700.00 and $1300.00 depending on ticket prices ($5-10) and number of seats sold (200 - 300). Not pocket change for sure but far less than the $3000 - $4000 presented in this argument. 

If I sell more tickets than I have estimated, I am happy to pay the adjusted royalty based on the additional income.

All licensing houses will work with schools to lower the expense. You just have to start the conversation with them.

I wish someone from Disney or EdTA would chime in with information regarding their new programs designed to support schools struggling with theatre production.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 7.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 07-30-2017 20:38

If one is starting a theatre program at a school (and particularly an underserved school), the idea that one can only do this with a Disney/MTI-style musical strikes me as problematic.

One, of course, is the funding. If there's no dedicated budget, no funds stockpiled, and potentially no boosters at this point (plus it's likely in an area where boosters won't have access to the kind of funds/funders that wealthier districts may have), then it's going to be a very expensive and risky first effort. If it doesn't draw... But let's say that you cut a deal with a licensing house and get some sort of reduced fee on your blockbuster. After all, that's what this article argues for.

Two, if you're just starting your program, you have no history of performance, which means you likely have no way to gauge your talent pool. When I was teaching full-time--and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone--I typically selected shows, particularly ones with challenging roles (i.e. musicals or something like Brecht's Galileo), knowing that I had people who could handle those roles (while of course being open to someone showing up out of the blue who was an even better fit). What do you do if you pick your tentpole musical and don't get the cast? Further, in a new program, while there may be many talented performers, chances are they may need some training. After all, this is new to them. The time for that training is not necessarily in rehearsal for a show that has to make bank to justify its budget--and therefore requires a product.

Three, I just don't know that blockbuster musicals are the only way to generate student interest. Sure, it helps to have a recognizable title, but there are plenty of shows that could fit that bill. One could do a parody (Don Zolidis' plays of this nature are often very popular) or adaptation--maybe something they read in English--or even Shakespeare (free royalties!). Or what about a play on a topic that is relevant to that particular community? Also, ten-minute or one-act play festivals can be great because they allow for a lot of students to participate, which typically means a lot of friends and family attending--and they are good ways to build a program, figure out the talent pool, and prepare for bigger steps later on. A clever social media marketing campaign can help too, as can crossover with teachers of other classes, where applicable.

Ultimately, let's keep in mind that schools and their respective communities are diverse, and what is considered relevant and necessary by one group may not be by another. One prescription doesn't fit all.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 08-01-2017 13:14
    I would like to counter the idea that you need a big name show for your first production.  I developed a program at a public school with only $1800 in the club account.  I was very upfront with my students about the cost of putting on a big name musical.  I told the kids that we would produce quality shows together but I needed them to work with me for a few years to build up a program and a fund of money.  We started with a small show, Hard Candy, 4 chairs, two folding tables and 6 kids.  People came to see the show, the kids had a great time.  Then we produced a student written shakespeare adaptation.  Again people came, this kids had a great time, more kids got involved and more teachers.  4 years later we raised $20,000 and put on Into the Woods.   We did 3 performances with nice crowds.  The theatre interest meeting had 70 kids that year.  My program was great, the kids and I worked super hard but the program grew organically rather than jumping in with a huge show.  
    Now more recently I started at a school that had an existing program and budget.  I chose to start at that school with Shrek a big name show.  Then needs at this school were different.  The program needed a big jump and they needed to see that I was bringing big ideas.  At this school I already had faculty/administration buy in.  Again in 4 years my student interest has grown.  My musical interest meeting had over 70 kids my 4th year at this school.  
    So my point is that not every program has the same needs.  Not every path to success is the same.

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 9.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 08-01-2017 23:36
    I work at an underserved school in a low income community. Profit is never a consideration when producing a show at my school. We don't charge. Our departments aims to not be cost prohibitive to any participant or audience member. That said, I don't think it is the responsibility of authors or licensing agents to fund my desire to produce a big budget musical. I have to be resourceful. There are funding opportunities out there. I often am presented opportunities to present new works Royalty free. Right now Rogers and Hammerstein Theatricals is offering an opportunity to win a free license to present Be More Chill. The Shubert Organization is also committed to develop new Theatre programs in underserved schools, and have created opportunities to have shows significantly, if not fully funded. Licensing companies are not service organizations.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 10.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 08-02-2017 13:53

EdTA used to have a form we could send to the publisher to request a royalty reduction.  I did that once, and Arthur Miller personally allowed a reduction from $75 to $15 per performance for "The Crucible"--endearing himself to me forever.  I hadn't been at this school long, and we had to create all of the costumes and most of the set pieces from scratch.  We paid full-price for the scripts, of course, but that royalty reduction helped us to have a beautiful show early in my tenure at this school.  

I teach at a school where nearly 50% of the students are on free or reduced lunch.  We get a little money each year to support the program, but we only have 150 seats.  We can't charge much per ticket, because that would prevent too many of our potential audience members from attending a show. We can't charge anything if we do a performance for students during school hours.  Very few of my students can afford to pay all the costs for traveling to our state or the international festival.  So we budget carefully, and we sprinkle in original and public domain shows.

When we do Shakespeare, I download a script, make abridgements, and then format it in Word to print bookfold for scripts.  The script cost is a fraction of what we play publishers, and no royalties.

I have done the same for plays by Moliere and for "Under the Gaslight," the great old melodrama by Augustin Daly.  Last spring I adapted Edgar Lee Masters "Spoon River Anthology" into a one-act for our state festival, and we presented it at ITF as the Chapter Select from NC.  I did an adaptation of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" that always makes money.  And Ian Johnston, professor emeritus of Vancouver Island University, allowed us to do his lovely translation of Euripides "Medea" for no charge in our educational setting. 

The students and I collaboratively write the 25 minute shows we take to our elementary schools each fall.  We frequently use public domain sources as our jumping off point, such as Aesop's fables, folk tales, or James Mooney's "Myths and Legends of the Cherokee."

One of the most financially empowering things we do is use the profit from our spring collection of Thespian-directed short plays to pay for hotel rooms for our NC Thespian Festival.  Students increasingly write their plays in class with an eye toward that performance opportunity, and several have updated public domain plays.  This past spring, our collection of short plays was entirely student-written, so we had money left over to put toward the ITF. 

None of this means that we don't do contemporary plays.  We certainly do.  But we budget for them.  With our small space, we lose money on every single musical, so we balance that with a public domain show.  The same holds true for contemporary shows.  I make financial decisions after much discussion and voting in our Thespian troupe meetings, and I have the satisfaction of knowing that the students understand where money comes from and where it goes in theatre production.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 11.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 08-03-2017 08:21
    Thanks C.J. The application form, for royalty reduction, is available in the ITS website. Click on middle school or high school teacher in the menu bar, then scroll down to the Resources section. The link is in that list.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 12.  RE: Free or Reduced Cost Theater Licensing for Title 1 Schools?

Posted 08-08-2017 11:04
    David,

I cannot find this form. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! I teach at a Title I school and would love to reduce our royalty costs if possible. Thanks!

Ashley Ware
    Jefferson GA