Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-26-2020 22:05
    We can only use one backdrop for Footloose.  Suggestions?

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-27-2020 07:34
    For those of us without a fly system, drops can be very problematic.  However, if you have a cyc curtain, just go with that.  Over a couple of years, through ticket sales we were able to purchase a cyc curtain and lights. We have no fly space so I have the cyc dead-hung.  It's the only back drop we use and it has worked in dozens of shows over the years - including when we did "Footloose" about 7 years ago.  Of course, the key is to be able to light it, otherwise it looks like a giant bed-sheet across your stage.

But even if all you have are simple black curtains or drapery, that can work as well.  The audience won't care if there is no elaborate backdrop - they just want to see their kids.  I've seen too many productions that insist on using inappropriate/badly utilized drops because there is money in the budget, or the director can't come up with a better idea. The drops wind up distracting from the performances and actually cause more problems than solutions.

However, if you insist on a single backdrop, either use a giant image of the show logo or an abstract image of musical notation/colors/geometric shapes (very 80s).  This will keep the theme of the show and put the focus on the stage.  Break a leg!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-27-2020 09:24
    For our production of "Footloose" last year, we purchased a muslin cyc, just like Josh has suggested.  We used LED strip lights, attached to the back of our unit set and it was very versatile.  The cost was very comparable to the rented drops we had used in the past, but the cyc we can use over and over.  It worked very well again this year for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" with the same strip lights. I highly recommend going this route!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 4.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-27-2020 10:14
    Thank you. What did LED strip lights look like? Do you have a photo of your production?
    Melinda

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-27-2020 11:12
    Photos from both are attached above, the second one being "Footloose".  I probably have better photos somewhere, but I don't have time to dig. 
     The LED lights (tape) we are using are similar to this product:
    https://www.amazon.com/MINGER-Changing-Lighting-Flexible-Decoration/dp/B07JP5375R

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 6.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-28-2020 07:05
      |   view attached

we used NO backdrop. Our orchestra sets up backstage, and the back wall is painted black.  They wore kerchiefs and cowboy hats in the Cowboy Bob scene, but otherwise were seen in the back behind the audience. 

i recurved great feedback- the audience loved seeing them perform when cast was not in the stage, and the black background made for a start contrast to the bright 80's colors of the costumes, especially the prom scene. I tried to attach a photo- let's see if I did it correctly...

Have so much fun with it!

Jen Stover
    Director, Souhegan Drama
    Souhegan High School
    Amherst, NH

• 7.  RE: Backdrop for Footloose

Posted 02-27-2020 11:10
    A local high school recently did this show with a set stage and backdrop.  They had the front sort of open, but added props for a table at down stage left for the scenes at the diner.  They pulled out benches and a pulpit for the church scenes at center stage.  The back half was raised with platforms with a small section on a scaffold for the scene in the old railcar.  The house scenes had a free standing flat (they actually had a fly that lowered a flat) at down right stage with a small table and two chairs that they moved on and off.  Worked really well.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL