Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Guys and Dolls looking for horn parts

Posted 09-16-2015 19:59

Hi,

We are presenting Guys and Dolls this winter and we noticed the horn books do not include transposed trombone parts.  I was wondering if anyone has transposed parts for the trombone. 

MTI has nothing.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Kate Caton
    Drury Stage Company Diretcor
    N. Adams MA

• 2.  RE: Guys and Dolls looking for horn parts

Posted 09-17-2015 18:20

At the risk of embarrassing myself (showing my non-musician stripes) I'm not sure what you're asking...

There is a trombone orch book listed as part of the rental materials. And to my mind, asking for a transposition means that the book must be written by hand and therefore MTI does not offer a transposing service.

Therefore, are you asking if anyone has gone through the (Herculean) task of taking the orchestration (or at least the trombone book) and putting it into Finale or Sebilius at their own expense with the ability to transpose the book into a different key?

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Guys and Dolls looking for horn parts

Posted 09-18-2015 09:08

Looking for anyone that may have already taken the horn part and transposed it in bass clef for trombone. We have more trombones than horns. Sorry for the confusion. 

Kate Caton
    Drury Stage Company Diretcor
    N. Adams MA

• 4.  RE: Guys and Dolls looking for horn parts

Posted 09-18-2015 10:36

There is no need for transposition. Trombone parts are already written in "C". Unlike trumpets, clarinets, french horns, et al, trombone parts need not be transposed. The part can be read by a trombonists without the need for transposition.

Ed Fitzgerald
    teacher
    Virginia Beach City Public Schools
    Virginia Beach VA