Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Tracks" by Peter Tarsi

Posted 06-15-2017 14:48

Has anyone done this play?  And is it too much for middle school students as a one-act competition piece?

Kendra Holyoke

Year 1, 2, & 3 Theatre Arts

Pine View Middle School

International Baccalaureate

Middle Years Programme 

Candidate School

(813) 794-4800 

• 2.  RE: "Tracks" by Peter Tarsi

Posted 06-16-2017 09:07
    A middle school performed it at the Massachusetts festival this year.  It is my understanding that the director did a lot of education and discussion around it.  As an audience member/educator, I thought that the students handled it very well, with many of them giving strong and convincing portrayals.  

Having said that, I think you have to know your students.  It certainly requires strong actors, with maturity.  Middle school students rarely can convince fully as adults (just as 20 somethings can rarely convince as young teens!) - but as a middle school teacher/director, I don't think we should limit them to just playing middle school students!!  Kids like to be challenged.

And my students, who were in the audience, really liked the play.

• 3.  RE: "Tracks" by Peter Tarsi

Posted 06-16-2017 09:10
    ​Hello!
    Yes! I worked on this show a couple years ago. It was an amazing experience.  I worked with high schools students and they seemed to enjoy the show's script.  However, it is a deep play with many adult undertones that my high school student struggled to grasp.  Especially the reveal at the end and the professor's student affair.  It was a little heavy.  If the students are mature enough to take on the concepts that are presented in the show, then Is ay go for it.  However, the adult elements might be difficult for the student to understand because they don't have the personal experience to relate to in their own lives.

Best wishes!

------------------------------
    Evelyn Carlile
    Drama Director
    Canton GA

• 4.  RE: "Tracks" by Peter Tarsi

Posted 06-16-2017 09:17
    I love this play and had great success with my high school students. I think it is do-able with middle schoolers if you and they spend the time to develop the characters and the message. Playing adults is difficult for younger students, but given time and research, can be done. They definitely have to delve into the meaning and message, though, to play it so that audience can understand, especially if the audience is also middle school.

Martha Louden
    West Virginia Chapter Director
    Shepherdstown WV

• 5.  RE: "Tracks" by Peter Tarsi

Posted 07-05-2017 15:42
    I would like to piggy back on this tread if I may. I always have student directors for our spring one-act and they have picked this show. The problem is that I really wanted them to choose a larger cast show since this can be a recruiting tool for younger/inexperienced actors. Do any of you have ideas of how we could include more students with meaningful roles? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA