Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Week-long Camps with Jr./Kids Versions of Shows

Posted 10-09-2017 11:24
    I work at a community theater and I'm looking to do one of those week-long performance camps, where you start the week auditioning for the kids show (typically a kids version of a Disney show), rehearse it all week, and then perform it for family and friends at the end of the week's camp. This would most likely take place during Spring Break or during the Summer. Has anyone ever led or run one of these camps? I'm wondering how it works for pricing and rights, seeing as you charge the students a fee for the week to do the camp and you don't charge admission for the audience members at the end of the week. Any feedback would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Chad Hoy
    Director of Outreach and Education
    Memphis TN

• 2.  RE: Week-long Camps with Jr./Kids Versions of Shows

Posted 10-09-2017 13:31
    You would just submit for licensing like any other production. Licensing works the same way whether you're charging for admission or not. Be careful to be clear about how much you charge for the kids/tuition, because sometimes that's worked into your licensing fees.
    Becca Lillias
    -------------------------

• 3.  RE: Week-long Camps with Jr./Kids Versions of Shows

Posted 10-10-2017 08:33
    The camp i work at does 2 junior shows in 6 weeks, so technically 3 weeks a piece, but the rehearsal time is down to about 1 wk and half plus tech after.  This very hard to even put a junior show on in this amount of time. I am amazed that the kids learn the lines, but its doable. I do full scenery in that time too. We do run with the tracks, but depending on the show, the tracks need tweaking.  I have been doing it for 4 summers now and its exhausting, I can't imagine only having 1 week.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 4.  RE: Week-long Camps with Jr./Kids Versions of Shows

Posted 10-11-2017 07:36
    We do this every summer.  The format has changed over the 10+ years we have been doing it, but here are a few things we have done most recently:
    1. We run two half-day camps (3 hours each, with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle)--elementary students in the morning, with high school students as counselors; and high school only camp in the afternoon.
    2. Both camps involve breakout sessions in acting, singing, choreography, and improvisation. (some years we have also had design/tech components)
    3. The past few years we have used shows by Pioneer Drama or the Young Performer's Edition of shows by Tams-Witmark.  Both provide quality materials at a reasonable cost.
    4. We charge $125 for the week for campers, and $50 for the week for the high school campers who also work as counselors.  This allows us to pay the camp staff, pay the rentals and royalties, buy t-shirts for everyone, and usually have a bit of money left over.

If you have further questions (or want more details), feel free to email me!

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com