Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-06-2018 18:15
    Hello!

I was hoping to see if anyone has suggestions for resources (monologues, scenes, plays, games, etc.) that would be culturally relevant to my ELL students whose home language is primarily Spanish. Whether it be works from other countries translated to English or stories of Latine characters living in America, I'm looking for texts wherein the students are able to recognize themselves. The age range I'm working with is 5th through 8th, so preferably pieces without any overt bad language or sexuality to appease my admin. Thank you very much in advance, any and all leads would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Chris Wollman
    Burbank CA

• 2.  RE: Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-07-2018 11:46

If you're using it for classroom performances, have you considered The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. It is a novel, but is written in poem and vignettes and could definetely be a resource. Also, there is a Spanish version, so you're students can choose to do it in Spanish, or use it as a reference. There is also a stage adaptation by Tanya Saracho, but I don't see it available from any publisher. My high school action did it as a One-Act. 

I have not read these scripts, but I think it might be worth your time to take a look at Augusta and Noble by Carlos Murillo.

You could try Stand and Deliver based on the film, adapted by Robert Bella. It has scenes and monologues that could be helpful. 

There bilingual scenes in the play Learn Me Somethin' by Michael Schneider. It's a multicultural piece, and one of the families is Latino. 

I also came across the show The Blue House by José Cruz González. It didn't work for my purposes at the time, but I've wanted to revisit it. 

I am also and ESL Certified teacher, so I appreciate your efforts to be inclusive in your program.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-07-2018 12:49

Cuban Swimmer and Dog Lady by Micha Sanchez Scott. Fabulous magical realism about Latino life! You can do a lot of things with those two plays!
    --
    Lynn Quinn

• 4.  RE: Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-09-2018 07:42

• 5.  RE: Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-08-2018 16:37
    ​Mojada by Luis Alfaro is a Spanish immigrant story based on Medea. It's awesome. Check it out.

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 6.  RE: Culturally relevant material/texts for Spanish speakers of various backgrounds

Posted 08-09-2018 07:46
    One of the miracles of this art is it's ability to transport us to different times and places without leaving the theatre, allowing us to explore the unknown; so, I would caution against the mindset that ELL students cannot see themselves in traditionally English-language stagecraft. It may be a self-fulfilling prophecy which inadvertently portrays the message that "Shakespeare [or insert another English-language author here] doesn't apply to you," driving a wedge between connections they could have with some of our most celebrated authors. 

Just food for thought, I'm sorry if it sounded preachy. Of course, whichever script you choose, break a leg and may all your seats be filled!

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA