Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need input on equipment/power for new drama space

Posted 12-01-2016 08:50
      |   view attached

I wanted to reach out to more of the technical minded folks out in the community about requirements for lighting, etc.  I'm in the lucky position where the are renovating and creating a new space in our school as a minature black box theater for seating of about 40-50, which will also be my new classroom.

The architects have come up with a nice design that I gave more input on (I've attached a picture of the orginal draft), but they needed me to provide more details on the equipment/power requirements they will need to build in. (Mostly the power/data).  

We will have a small control booth with a light and sound board.  Neither will be large because it's a smaller space.  As far as lighting, we talked about doing a bar or two or which I could hang 10 - 12 lights for flood/spot lighting, and then a separate one above the actual "Stage area" to provide the strip lighting.  I was told they'll just blackout the roof, so we won't have any normal classroom ceiling to worry about. (and the space will be painted all black, hurrah.)  I wanted to do LED lighting for just everything.

As far as sound goes, I was thinking two main speakers toward the audience, and another one so the actors can hear in the back.  It would actually be nice if I put some small speakers in the two dressing rooms as well, hrm.  Anyway, community, I would love to hear your input on all this.  

What sort of power requirements would need to be built in here? And for data, assuming that goes.  It seems like they're letting me build this out as I desire.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jason Lehman
    McDonough, GA

• 2.  RE: Need input on equipment/power for new drama space

Posted 12-02-2016 11:38

Think outside the box.  You have largely defeated the 'flexible space theatre' concept as you have carved-out spaces that you perceive you need.  You are trying to force a proscenium type theatrer layout into 'what's left over'.

• Although storage space is essential and important, I'd do whatever is possible to have that space external to the classroom.  Storage for sets, tools, paint, costumes, props and all other stuff non-essential to the show in production is just fuel for a fire and shin-busters during a show - get them out of the room.
    • Consider having a room specifically for costumes that is large enough to have a sewing workstation, ironing boards, fitting room, and washer / dryer.  Costume storage needs to be temperature and humidity controlled 24/7/365 or you will get mildew build-up and the costumes can be ruined.
    • The Dressing Rooms, albeit nice, need to be flexible in size depending upon a show's needs and male / female ratios.  Consider using moveable barriers / drapes and portable make-up workstations.  A wash sink to remove make-up is essential, and with the proper sink trap, it can be used to wash-up stage paints, too, so dedicated plumbing for this should be available. Mopping the floor is essential to keeping the theatre tidy and also important for hygiene if there is very much tumbling or dancing going on, so a mop-sink adjacent to the wash sink is also recommended.
    • The sound and lighting (particularly the sound) need to be out in the performance space so they can hear what is going on.  Mixing in a isolated box (even if it has operable windows) is a futile effort.  Put the sound workstation on a moveable cart / desk.  Lighting operators can be a bit more chatty if calling cues, but in a space this size, the need for anyone more than a Stage Manager to call a cue is questionable, so placing the lighting control workstation on a portable cart / desk can work, too.

This just leaves your office, which is fairly essential, so maybe keeping this is OK.

This leaves you with the entire remainder of the room to use as you need for each show.  Don't be afraid to 'mix it up a bit'.

You did not say how tall the roof deck and the bottom of the roof joists are from the floor.  This is pretty important to know if planning a lighting system.  A taller room might afford you the space for a walk-on wire tension grid, where a medium height space would be an opportunity for a wider space pipe grid, and a low ceiling space may necessitate a more closely spaced pipe grid to get the lighting angles you need.  The functional height of the room may also be affected by the presence of sprinkler pipes, HVAC ducts, and other piping / conduits that may pass through the space.

Like lighting, any speakers you need for effects can be equipped with safe and flexible rigging (no home-made fly hardware!) so they can be suspended where they are needed for each show.

The layout of receptacles for speakers, lighting power, lighting control, and other connectivity needs to be done so it does not interfere with the pipe grid.  Stringing cable willy-nilly around the grid is both a nightmare to sort-out and typically in violation of the NEC (National Electric Code), but also makes installing and moving lights and speakers around a real hassle, too.  Have proper receptacles installed above the pipe grid so portable cables are kept to a minimum length is the goal.  10-12 lights?  Really?  With a room this size you could more likely use 50-100 lights (again, it depends upon the height of the grid and the type of the lights, but a 50'x50' space with 10' acting zones is 25 zones, each with 3-4 lights each adds-up quickly, not to mention lighting the scenery).

A pipe-grid system can allow for drapery tracks to run the around the perimeter of the room (except NOT in front of EXIT doors) and provide a 'backstage' space for performers to move to scene entrances out of sight of the audience.  Other temporary masking drapes can be moved round as needed by relocating the tie-off batten below the pipe grid (again: use proper rigging attachments!)

Other considerations:

• This is a large rectangular space with flat parallel walls.  A proper acoustic design is necessary or you will just have an echo chamber.
    • HVAC noise can be a very real issue.  Most HVAC engineers have no clue about designing truly quiet air handling systems.  Having a noise control consultant review the design independent of the HVAC engineer's design is a must.  The amount of air needed, and hence the noise created my that air movement, is dependent upon the amount of stage lighting and the type of the stage lighting (incandescent or LED), so the cost of the HVAC system is tied to the choice and quantity of lights.
    • Flooring is important.  Concrete floors (even if covered with carpet or tile) are too harsh on the performer's joints.  It's not that difficult to install a slightly sprung floor above grade, but having the existing floor saw-cut and a recess installed to receive a fully sprung stage floor that is level to the surrounding floors is highly recommended.  If anyone whines about the cost, just remind them how much the school spends on athletic floors and sports fields throughout the school district.
    • Consider having light / sound locks at the entry vestibules - this can keep the outside disruptions in the adjacent hallways to a minimum.  Quiet hardware on the doors is good, too (doors don't have to be clattery annoyances - you actually can get door hardware that operates very quietly - it's only two to four doors - this won't break the bank).
    • Use Architectural can type downlight fixtures for the house / work / classroom lights (2x2 or 2x4 'troffer' type lights, be they fluorescent or LED, are a visual distraction in this type of room - they make BIG white rectangles in an otherwise black ceiling).  The lighting needs to provide near 100 fc of illumination (remember: the room is black, the curtains are black - so you can't rely on any 'bounce' to even-out the illumination).  The lights need to be individually dimmable (easy to do with LEDs) and be dimmed 0-100%.  Caution:  Many architectural fixtures only dim to 5% or 1% -- 1% of 100 fc is 1 fc, so this is way too bright for theatrical use.  Also remember that you need to clamp the lower operating level to 1/5 fc over the audience areas (NFPA requirement for safe egress!) - something to teach your lighting operators - Full Black-Outs are no longer legal.
    • If you use video to teach from viewing movies, rehearsal videos, or even PowerPoint, then having a display system that suits the room is very important:  a screen that is large enough to fit the room, and a projector bright enough to properly illuminate the screen, a lens to place the projector back along the wall instead of hanging in the middle of the room, and an easy way to get computers and DVD / Blue Ray signals to it.

Final advice:  Hire a Theatre Consultant to help your Architect get this right.  You only get one chance at this.  A Black Box Theatre is much more than just a Box painted Black.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 3.  RE: Need input on equipment/power for new drama space

Posted 12-02-2016 22:37

I can only speak to the lighting, although some of what I say will pertain to the sound system too. I agree with Erich, a black box theatre is so more than a box painted black (and the storage space is not enough!). The district may balk at hiring a theatre consultant, but they’re going to be spending much more money over the long run fixing ‘issues’ if they don’t. May I recommend Robert Smulling of PLA Designs or Tom Ruzika of The Ruzika Company. Who ever you hire, be sure to hire a theatre consultant who has had experience with live theatre. Some primarily have had experience with houses of worship and home theatres, but hang out their shingle as “theatre consultants”. Also be sure that the specific consultant you work with has themselves had theatrical experience. I once chatted with a “theatre consultant” spec’ing and installing a sound system in a 600-seat high school theatre, and he mentioned to me how he thought it would be fun to be in theatre! He had no experience of the theatrical process, yet the district hired him because he was the lowest bidder. Needless to say, we had years of ‘fixes’ the district had to pay for after that. 

But, back to the lighting. The first thing that jumped out at me was – LEDs. My advice – don’t even go there. If you’re asking for advice on designing a lighting system, you’ll next be asking for advice on programming LEDs once they’re installed. When considering LEDs ask yourself what sort of program will there be for stage lighting education? Will there be a vocational (CTE) tech teacher to teach the students on the correct operations?  What is your equipment budget? Could money be better spent on more traditional lighting fixtures than a few LEDs (even if they can serve different functions)? I once was asked to work in a middle school 100-seat proscenium theatre that had been completely – and only – equipped with LEDs, plus a lightboard no one could understand how to operate (you need a more sophisticated light board to operate LEDs). The theatre wasn’t used for the first year and a half because no one understood how to operate the lighting. Instead they performed their concerts and plays in the commons. 

I may be controversial when I say, state-of-the-art is not always the best choice for a high school theatre. But, when deciding on whether to spec LEDs ask yourself these questions:

• Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years?
    • Will there be vocational training for students?
    • How many students a year will want to learn to be lighting technicians?
    • Will the theatre be rented to outside users?
    • Who will staff outside events, professional staff or students?
    • Will outside users be allowed to use the theatre equipment unsupervised?
    • Who will restore the equipment each time in preparation for the next user?

Here’s a channel patch of just the cyc lights in a high school theatre I once worked in.

LED Cyc Channels

Here’s a channel patch of the cyc lights in theatres with incandescent instruments. 

Cyc channels

Which is in your comfort zone to deal with on a daily basis, and to teach to your students?

Another thing to consider is the light board. Many architects want to install a state-of-the-art light board. But if you don’t foresee your high school purchasing LEDs and having a professional career training program for a student lighting crew who will be learning light board programming, then there is no need to have a fancy light board. Leave that for when the vocational student gets to university or starts an apprenticeship. It’s most valuable to teach them why they are doing what they are doing before jumping into pushing programming buttons. Plan ahead for the educational plans for your theatre, and your operations budget, before spec’ing anything considered ‘state-of-the-art’ in a high school theatre.

Another thing to avoid is a small light board that has a multitude of functions. While a smaller less expensive light board with a lot of functions sounds like a good idea on the surface, some of these compact boards have so many functions that they’ve had to get very creative in how to access each function. There are so many steps, with functions hidden within functions, that it makes it too difficult for students, who come and go, to learn and retain how the board works. Be careful that the light board that you spec or purchase doesn’t have too many steps/modes to go through just to perform simple functions such as patching, recording, play back, etc. 

There is a school of thought that high school students should have the best technology available because they will soon go to a college or get a job where this technology is used and they will have a head start. However, in a high school setting, usually the need to have an easy to learn and operate light board, and instruments, overshadows the need to have the best technology (unless there is a professional vocational training program at the high school).

When spec’ing lighting equipment for a new black box theatre it’s important to “Design Backwards”. You first need to ask yourself:

• will you use the space as a proscenium or change configurations,
    • how many areas will you need in the space,
    • will you have washes from each side and how many,
    • will you have RGB downlights,
    • will there be a cyc on one wall,
    • how many specials might you need for any given show,
    • and so on.

Your whole rep plot needs to be planned out before you can determine initial equipment purchasing decisions. These decisions will in turn inform you where you need to place electrics and how many circuits to provide, what lighting instruments to spec, what type of light board the situation requires, and lots more.

Know what you will need in terms of a rep plot, and know the level of instruction you will be able to provide your students with. The type of equipment installed directly affects building functionality, student learning and faculty retention. I’ve seen too many extravagant high school theatre stage lighting systems go to complete waste and not be used to their full potential because the design was not suitable to the users’ abilities or budget. The school I mentioned above is a classic example of where simpler technology (a “two scene preset” manual board with standard gelled instruments) surpasses state-of-the-art technology when it comes to building performance affecting academic performance.

As it seems you are still in the beginning planning stages, a final word about black box theatres. Again, this may be controversial. A black box theatre has a high versatility factor; it can be re-configured to a proscenium stage, a thrust stage, or theatre-in-the-round. But, with versatility comes expenses. Each time the acting space is reconfigured the lighting instruments and drapes have to be moved to new positions. Most high schools don’t have the budget for the labor that this versatility requires nor the amount of instruments it requires. The costs take the administration by surprise, and the time requirements take the drama teacher by surprise, as it takes too long than (s)he has in class with the students to be reconfiguring the space. With no time and no money the space soon loses its versatility.

On the other hand, there are some benefits to a black box theatre. For instance, a black box theatre’s floor space can be cleared for classes and rehearsals to be held in there. A black box theatre is great for learning environments where tech theatre skills – particularly stage lighting - are a part of the curriculum. For instance, lighting techniques can be taught during a composition class, where the students hang and focus the lighting and create cues to a piece of music.

A black box theatre is more suited to a college or a university, which will have a technical theatre degree program, than to a high school, which has more budgetary and time constraints. For instance, one high school I worked at had a black box theatre and they hired me to create a lighting rep plot for them. Theatre-in-the-round and thrust stages require about twice the number of lighting instruments than a proscenium stage does because the actors and the sets must be lit from several sides. This theatre had been given a lighting package, but it was insufficient for the space potential, and the tech theatre class time was limited, so the Drama teacher decided to create a fixed proscenium stage within the black box space with flats as the proscenium walls. It would have been better for her to have a ‘little theatre’ than a black box, because she never did have the time or funding to use the black box as anything else but a proscenium theatre.

Beth Rand
    Author of: "High School Theatre Lighting for Architects" and "High School Theatre Safety Manual for Black Box Theatres"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    www.RCDTheatreOps.com
    Woodinville, WA

• 4.  RE: Need input on equipment/power for new drama space

Posted 12-07-2016 08:56

Hey there,

I'm not an expert on such matters, but I can tell you this from my own experience and the experience of some of my peers: This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get it right. So exhaust yourself in order to get it right. 

Get the advice of anyone and everyone whom you respect, and don't be afraid to send this out to a few professional tech theater people, and at the college level. They'll have certain insights as well that you haven't thought of. Just go in with as much knowledge as possible. No matter what, you may only get 70-80& of what you want, but the more you demand, the more you get.

David Engel
    Theater Department Head
    Fayetteville-Manlius School District
    Manlius NY
    facebook.com/fmthespians

• 5.  RE: Need input on equipment/power for new drama space

Posted 12-08-2016 08:37

I have to agree with almost everything said above.  We built a black box approximately 2 years ago. 

Although the district skimped on hiring a theatre consultant, I spoke with some acquaintances (Tom Neville http://www.auerbachconsultants.com/staff/tom-neville-astc/ and Bob Fowler http://www.interactiveeducationalvideo.com/developers.html) and got some valuable advice.  I wish we would have hired them! 

We love the Black Box and its versatility.  Yes, it takes some time to switch between shows and the band using it as a 3rd band room (We have a huuuge band.), and, yes, I forced the issue by selling the versatility and got the district to spend money on switchable/thru-power dimmers, an LED lighting package, and an ETC Ion light board.  

We hold 3 performances per year (other shows are in main theatre), solo/small group music recitals, my daily classes, and more in the black box.  My district must love it because they use it all the time.

My advice, shoot for the moon (LEDs, proper lighting board and grid, and everything else you can think of) this gives you room to "negotiate" and the worst you can do is land among the stars.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]