Open Forum

View Only

High School Musical or something else???

• 1.  High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-02-2017 08:49
    I am a choir teacher who has been given the task of doing an entire full-length musical on my own... This is my first year running a musical, and I really am looking for something that would be easy, and inexpensive.  We do not have much of a budget, but we have a great theatre.  I was thinking High School Musical for crowd appeal, virtually no costumes to purchase, and easy set.  The idea does sort of make me cringe though.  How do we feel about High School Musical, and are there other options I should consider?

• 2.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-02-2017 11:07

This will be an exciting time for you!! Your kids will love performing whatever you choose, and your audience will be people who love your students, so they will love your performance.  

Some things you might want to think about.
    -If you do High School Musical, you should probably be comfortable choreographing big dance scenes.  
    -If you choose a traditional or well-known musical, you will probably be paying $1500.00 plus in royalties, even if you are performing in a small theatre.  (Musical royalties vary depending on the size of the auditorium, how much you charge for tickets, etc)
    -If you would like a less expensive option, publishers such as Brooklyn Publishers, Dramatic Publishing, and Playscripts have musicals which are quite inexpensive to perform.  If you are worried about "name appeal," you will find several titles which have adapted familiar stories and added music
    -If you are worried about costumes, here are some things I have <g class="gr_ gr_1733 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="1733" data-gr-id="1733">done,</g> since my budget (like most of our budgets) is always stretched thin.  Go to Goodwill or dig through your school's costume racks and repurpose some costumes.  The Internet will give you several ideas:).  I have a book called "Elegantly Frugal Costumes" which gives suggestions of how to make period costume 
    -Because most musicals require several scene changes, using minimal scenery is perfectly acceptable.  Your audience has come to see your students, not your set.  
    (Sorry this post was so long)

------------------------------
    Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 3.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-02-2017 11:08
    You mention that you're putting together this entire musical on your own. Do you have a choreographer, or do you feel comfortable doing choreography? Because I believe that High School Musical is fairly choreography-heavy. There are a bunch of musicals with almost no choreography in them though (depending on how you stage them), if that's going to be a stumbling block -- City of AngelsJekyll and HydeMan of La Mancha (if you're looking for something male-heavy), Les Miserables, anything by Sondheim (if you're up for the vocal work) . . . 

Also, remember that literally any musical can be done on a budget. Every student has something in their closet (or can easily buy something) that's a vague approximation of a historical time period. Looking for Victorian? Grab a white blouse and a full-length dark colored skirt or white button-down shirt and dark colored pants. Bam. You're done.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-02-2017 11:40
    I concur with the choreography comments. Do you have a dance teacher or an advanced dance student on campus who can either choreograph or dance captain?

In terms of choices... I'd look at a show like Charlie Brown or Aida. They both have very limited set requirements and don't have a lot of choreography to worry about. Charlie Brown has great name recognition and Aida has great music and, once I pointed out that it was written by the same people as Lion King, had a lot of interest from the kids on my campus.

The most important thing to consider when choosing your show is to make sure you're really invested in the choice, even if it's a show that isn't as well known. You're going to be working this for a while and, especially for your first, you'll find it easier to work something you enjoy and are passionate about. Have fun with it.  :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-03-2017 08:23
    Dear Edwina!! The only con is lack of name recognition...but it's a super fun show, one set that is easily managed, contemporary clothing plus a few specialty pieces, and the props are SUPPOSED to look like kids made them. The music is wonderful, you can expand the ensemble as needed, or do it with a small cast. 

I did it last year (the Jr version) and my kids are still singing the songs. Here's a pic of our set. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-03-2017 08:48
    Thank you for the comments everyone!  I actually have someone who volunteers to do choreography for free(!).  
    Honestly I am a sucker for the more classic musicals, but this theatre tends to do a modern one, then a "classical" one every other year and last year they did Guys and Dolls( which I heard the dancing did not go very well in). 

Thanks for the comment on doing something I will enjoy.  It makes sense... I have a lot of students who want to try out or be a part of the ensemble.  I thought maybe Oklahoma?  I know I have strong male actor/singers but am unsure of the quality of women I will be getting, which is why I am staying away from musicals with strong female leads. Any other suggestions?

Sara Giambalvo
    Arnold MO

• 7.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-03-2017 10:31
    When it comes to sets and costume, involve the parents. They can build sets, paint and sew costumes. When it comes to sewing you will have a range of abilities from "I can sew on a button" to creating a costume from just a picture. 

For materials ask for donations from parents. What's the saying, "She that dies with the most fabric wins." For lumber needs, have a parent contact a construction company and see if they have any left over materials that they are willing to donate.

Hope this helps. Comes from years of running a non-profit theatre.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-03-2017 10:48
    How many strong females do you have? If you have a plethora of strong males I'd look at Les Mis. You need 3 strong females and good choral females for it so it's a great way to showcase the make talent and has great name recognition

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-03-2017 12:25
    We did a show called, Back to the 80's(MTI).  The plot wasn't the best but the songs were a lot of fun. All 80's hits that the majority of students already knew- made most rehearsals effortless.  Costumes were easy.  We used one backdrop throughout the show and props, platforms and lights were used to create scenes.

Joanne Oakum
    Drama Program Director
    MMI Preparatory School
    Freeland PA

• 10.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-06-2017 08:37
    Thank you so much everyone!
    I REALLY loved the suggestion "Back to the 80's".
    I know its not very well known or standard literature but with all the 80's nostalgia(stranger things, Star Wars, etc.) my kids would LOVE it.  They love 80's music for some reason.  I appreciate all the suggestions you guys were SO helpful.

Sara Giambalvo
    Arnold MO

• 11.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-04-2017 12:48
    Here are some of my favorite musicals:
    Peter and the Starcatcher
    The Drowsy Chaperone
    Les Mis - School Edition
    Disney's Beauty and the Beast
    Little Shop of Horrors 
    You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
    Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella
    Disney's Little Mermaid
    Disney's HS Musical
    Seussical 
    The Fantastics
    Shrek
    The Addams Family
    Pirates of Penzance
    Into the Woods
    Footloose
    Hairspray
    West Side Story
    Bye, Bye Birdie
    Once Upon a Matress

Some are large cast, some are small. Some have difficult music and/or difficult choreography but in my opinion, they are all appropriate and successful at the high school level! Good luck deciding and casting! Play selection and strong casting is a big portion of the process. Ask for help! You would be amazed at how much talent is waiting for you in regards to your students and parent/community volunteers! :)

Beverly Quinn
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Serrano High School
    Wrightwood CA

• 12.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-05-2017 10:37
    Love the list from Beverly, but just a word of caution.  All musicals are challenging - even High School Musical.  I just directed it last spring and had the challenge of trying to find a basketball hoop for the big game at the end. Also you do need to find those uniforms----

if you need to make money and give a jump start to your program - do GREASE. The kids love it, the music is fun and it is the only show that I had to turn people away at the door. The only draw back is the message at the end of the show.

The most simple show from a set perspective and easy costumes, in my opinion, is The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  It is so much fun, silly, and truthful.  It has a small cast but I have heard of productions that invite local celebrities in to be the spellers from the audience and that helps to fill the house. 

Break a leg!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD

• 13.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-05-2017 10:11
    Hi, 
    as a first year choir teacher with no other staff designated to help with the production we did Seussical and it was a blast. We did mostly unison singing and the choreography can look awesome even when simple. There is a large amount of flexibility in voicing and style. The story is told almost all in song and that made being a choir teacher helpful. I'd love to talk more about how we pulled of costumes, props, and sets if you need more.

Tanner Oharah
    Choir and Theatre Director
    Buena Vista CO

• 14.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-05-2017 11:58
    If you have a small cast, what about Godspell?

I saw 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at a community college last year and I was screaming with laughter the whole way through it!

Les Mis school edition is also an idea that's making me excited thinking about it for my school! Thanks, everyone, for these awesome suggestions.

- Arden

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 15.  RE: High School Musical or something else???

Posted 11-06-2017 11:31
    Late to the conversation, but just a couple of additional things to consider:

1) For choreography, YouTube is amazing. A lot of things can ahem provide inspiration for your own production. But if you have a choreographer as a later post suggested, then you'll be fine. 

2). When you're paying the higher price for a more well known musical, you're paying that extra price because you will get that money back, especially if you have a large cast. The name recognition is a big deal. 

3). Since you're a choir teacher, have you considered 'Evita'? It was really hard for us as we (my wife and I) aren't music/singing experts. But we had a great vocal coach. A lot of people shy away from it because of its perceived difficulty, but if you have some strong males this is a great option. Out of the five musicals I did in my last position, this one was probably one of my most satisfying, and a lot of that is because of the story and the quality of the music.

I agree that you can do pretty much any musical on a budget. Our first was Wizard of Oz, which, after licensing fees, I think we spent under $500 on for everything we needed (lots of people have Wizard of Oz costumes that you can borrow for free, I discovered). We also did West Side Story, which again, we didn't pay much for except the license. Zorro was also lots of fun, though you need some good fight choreography and ideally a trained stage combat instructor to help out. 

We also did Shrek, which is a bear for expense because of costumes. (That would be the musical that falls outside of the 'pretty much any musical on a budget' comment).

I also second '25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee'. Super cute and I think is becoming more commonly known. It is very low rent for costumes, the musical itself is very sweet and affirming, and there's (as someone stated) great opportunity to shoehorn in local celebrity or teachers, or even, say, the football coach, in the spelling contest sections. It's hysterically good fun.

Whatever you choose, I agree that it's gotta be something you're passionate about doing. There's so many good suggestions here!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON