Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Animals on Stage

Posted 02-15-2017 11:36
    Hello,
    I am considering The Diary of Anne Frank as our fall play, and I am wondering how you have handled seemingly live animals (cats and dogs) on stage?  I've had one live dog (teacup in a hamper - no problem).  I once used a puppet for the cat in "The Baker's Wife," but it was a musical comedy, so it was played for laughs.  Any ideas for how to handle this challenge in a more serious play?

------------------------------
    Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-15-2017 13:13
    If you can find one, and your budget allows, you could get one of the "stuffed cats" you see at little knick-knack or thrift shops. They look like they're asleep and curled into a ball. That's what we used in our production of Diary.

If you have someone who can sew you could make a cat out of fake fur and using a pattern

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-16-2017 06:37
    I'm currently in the production process of The Diary of Anne Frank. We are using a live animal.  We are on our second cat and it's working wonderfully. I introduced him early to get him acclimated to Peter, the rest of the cast, surroundings and traveling in a basket. The key is to find a low key cat. It also probably helps that his owner is my student director and is used to be around  kids. Expose the animal to all loud noises several times and make it comfortable the animal.
    Our first cat was very high strung and didn't care for enclosed spaces.

Karon Branch
    Sherwood AR

• 4.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-16-2017 08:21
    I agree with the above in finding a low-key cat. When we did "Moonchildren", we had a cat in the final scene and she was really laid back--granted, all she had to do was walk down a hallway, onto stage, and get herded out the front door of the set, but she did wonderfully! :) My vote is go with a real cat if you can find the right cat. 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-16-2017 13:07
    I have used a live animal twice onstage in a musical. (Kind of a pain.) Our production of Anne Frank and subsequent professional productions that I have seen, have never used a live animal. Not really necessary and can sometimes interrupt the flow of the show due to the audiences reaction. That said, totally your call. Just my two cents. Break a leg! 

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 6.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-18-2017 19:04

Here’s some of my animals on stage stories:

I was working with a community variety show in a high school theatre I was managing at the time. We got through three days of tech rehearsals and we were on the last number on opening night, which was a barn dance. I was engrossed in something in the booth, and I didn’t look up until the last number had started, and there on stage were three llamas standing by the cyc!!! What?! Where had they come from?! Unbeknownst to me they had loaded them in backstage at the last minute without a by your leave. My first concern was that one would spit on the cyc! But then my concerns grew as the llamas were lead forward during the dance, by now obviously freaked out by the noise, lights and people. One llama was being tended to by a young child (I later found out, the owner’s child) and was lead down to the apron of the stage. This llama was prancing around, getting more and more freaked out. All I could think of then was that it would accidentally take a step off the edge of the stage, falling on an audience member in the front row, and breaking its leg. Thankfully none of these concerns came to be, but after that I banned all live animals from the theatre.

When I informed the group that they couldn’t bring the llamas for the remainder of the performances, they complained that they always had an animal of some sort. One time they had a rooster who pooped on the stage in the middle of an act. Who knew it would do that (!), so they had nothing prepared to clean up the poop with and the technicians had to use their hands. But, suddenly there was a cue to take with the fly system, so they just had to pull the ropes, poopy hands and all(!).

On a prior occasion I was designing lights for a high school play that called for a live cat. All through tech rehearsals the cat had been pretty mellow, but on opening night it sensed the audience and became nervous. In addition the owner had changed the cat’s food that very day(!). You can imagine what happened on opening night. Not just poop, but diarrhea. Somehow the cast managed to hold it together during the scene and get the cat off the stage, but they changed to a stuffed toy cat after that.

Beth Rand
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager
    HS Theatre Management Coach and Instructor - next HS Theatre Management Training course starts March 27
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 7.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-19-2017 14:54
    When I directed The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds in Florida years ago, one of the drama club members brought a baby rabbit for us to use.  We kept him in the classroom for the 3 weeks prior to the show, and that's when I discovered that at least some rabbits have the same dander as a cat.  I am extremely allergic to cats, so I sneezed and wheezed for 3 weeks.  The cast loved him, and our Tilly worked with him beautifully.  He was nearly fully grown by the time we performed the show.

Besides my allergic reaction, it was a good experience -- until the student took the rabbit back home.  They raised rabbits as a business.  His younger brother, who fed and watered the rabbits at home, failed to notice that the rabbit was back in his hutch, and the poor thing died from lack of food and water.  We found out about it when some cast members were inquiring about their sweet little rabbit.  They were traumatized, to say the least.

I've used stuffed animals and puppets since.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-20-2017 11:11
    I've used a couple dogs...Wizard of Oz and Annie. A couple chickens...Fiddler wedding scene. A cat...Oliver. And a camel...Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Our audiences loved the live animals and I have not had one problem. Super fun! Go for it! 

Angela Hillman
    Director of CAPA
    Livonia Public Schools
    Plymouth MI

• 9.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-20-2017 11:31
    My troupe used a live dog in a production of "A Lighter Shade of Noir" last year (I wasn't here). I heard it went really well. It belonged to a student so it was easy to get him acclimated to the cast. Go for it!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 10.  RE: Animals on Stage

Posted 02-21-2017 07:13
    I've done Mr. Roberts with live goats.  What fun!  We had stage crew dressed as extra sailors in case of any mishaps.  Also Talking With.... and a live cat--who was pretty calm.  That being said, doing Diary of Anne Frank, I did use a stuffed cat in a vintage looking carrier, so you really couldn't see a whole lot.  

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH