Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Layering sound from multiple devices on zoom webinar?

Posted 11-14-2020 08:02
    I've got a show up (a live radio play, livestreaming via Broadway on Demand using zoom webinar) with some fun sound -- lots of transitional music and effects from QLab, some foley from the actors' zoom tiles. Early on we found that we couldn't ever have sounds from more than one device at a time -- so there's no underscoring for example, or times when cast members can effectively overlap voices, or speak during a sound effect. I thought that was just the way it was... but at our opening night last night a theater prof from a local university said that she doesn't know how it's done, but she thinks a project she's involved in has been overlapping sound successfully. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW?

------------------------------
    Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 2.  RE: Layering sound from multiple devices on zoom webinar?

Posted 11-15-2020 11:40
    Following. Doing the same with BOD/SHOWSHARE with Zoom recoding. IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE A LIVE RADIO . . . Using live dedicated Foley artist. Trying to see how it works with one of our actors who plays harp and guitar to play live for the transitions. For the sung commercials; dividing the lines and individuals sing without accompaniment.
    Creating a digital show program slides with actors’ headshots as a preshow.
    I welcome hearing other’s creative ventures in this world.

Gai Laing Jones

• 3.  RE: Layering sound from multiple devices on zoom webinar?

Posted 11-15-2020 13:15
    It's slightly different if you're host or participant, but go into Settings and scroll down to In Meeting (Advanced) and switch to allow Original Sound if you're the host.  All the participants then need to go into their Audio settings (I believe in Advanced options) and switch to Original Sound and adjust the Echo Cancelling to the lowest level; I think that's what it's called but can't remember for sure and can't access that panel right now, but you'll recognize it because it's the one where one of the options is Aggressive.  

This'll let you talk over people, and you can play sounds via screen share that others can talk over.  There are still lag issues, and you'll have to mess with distance from the mics for audio quality for anything that's not being produced by the computer that is logged into Zoom, but it works!

Ellen Koivisto
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: Layering sound from multiple devices on zoom webinar?

Posted 11-15-2020 14:49
    Hi Ellen,

This is such good news! I copied and pasted your reply into my notes because I had no idea you could do this! Just couple of other questions: is this for Zoom Advanced or for Zoom Webinar? I am a drama teacher, but I do not have Webinar. Also, this would work for music playing under a scene and for sound effects, but I'm sure would NOT work for actor singing together because of the lag, correct? Many thanks!!!
    Karen Nielsen

Karen Nielsen
    SALT LAKE CITY UT

• 5.  RE: Layering sound from multiple devices on zoom webinar?

Posted 11-16-2020 14:58
    Hi Karen,

Check with you school or district re. the webinars.  Our district holds the zoom license for everyone, and our admins have access to webinars (it's how they do community meetings and back to school night, for instance).  Our admin let us borrow her webinar ability for the shows.

But changing the settings works for everything, it's just much more obvious on webinar.  When we rehearsed, we did so on regular zoom and were able to do the layering, though with more cutting out than happened in the webinar.  The cutting out is when the echo cancelling programming decides something is background noise versus intended communication.  Recently, for instance, we had a student playing "Linus and Lucy" on a piano and the sound of her turning the pages was louder than the music; she hadn't done the switching to original sound or the change in echo cancellation yet.  

We discovered that you have to mess around with placement of different sound sources in relation to you mics.  Oh, and make sure that everyone has the most up-to-date version of Zoom.  But, yeah, it works!  And, yes, you absolutely cannot use it for live singing where the music source is at a different location from the singer.  We had students play their own music and sing to that, and that worked.  It requires quite a bit of moving things around physically until you get the best sound combination, but it worked just fine.  And, of course, it only works for solos (unless you've got a group of singers who live in the same house, I guess.) 

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.  

Ellen