Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sanitizing Microphones

Posted 07-29-2020 09:51
    My school has purchased Blue Yeti mics to facilitate hybrid learning. I have been asked to find the best practices for cleaning them, as we will be sharing. I believe they will be stationary and teachers will only need to plug in their own individual computers as they move from room to room, but they would like protocols for cleaning, and none of the cleaners are theatre trained. Thoughts? Resources? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 2.  RE: Sanitizing Microphones

Posted 07-30-2020 06:46
    Rod Reilly posted on this a couple of weeks ago, it was a good post, please look it up

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Sanitizing Microphones

Posted 07-31-2020 10:42
    Jerry and Guy

Thanks for pointing Elisabeth to my previous post.  Didn't want to repost a response for fear of tooting my own horn.

Perhaps the best solution is for each teacher/user to just drape a disposable face mask over the mic and discard it when they finish, leaving behind a pristine mic for the next user

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 4.  RE: Sanitizing Microphones

Posted 07-30-2020 11:32
    This link should take you to the post Jerry mentioned:

https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=133&MessageKey=371315db-cddc-42b0-9a18-cbbeb3cb34f5&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer

As Rod pointed out in his post, the original link was a little questionable.  I did find this page with some actual recommendations from Shure: 
    https://service.shure.com/s/article/how-should-i-clean-my-microphone?language=en_US

Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown MD