Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-09-2020 14:43
    I presented an online class for EdTA on the basics of SketchUp several months ago (April?), and just curious as to how many of you started teaching or using it, and whether you like it.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 2.  RE: Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-10-2020 07:57
    I just started teaching our Theatre course, which includes a small design unit. I stumbled upon SketchUp but haven't seen your class.

Is it available to stream or view somehow?

David Morrison
    English Teacher
    Bolingbrook IL

• 3.  RE: Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-10-2020 14:33
    I successfully taught it this year for the first time! It was a combination of your tutorial and a Set Design for Theatre Class video on Vimeo that gave me the confidence. I had my students use the vimeo tutorial for step by step instructions and most of them were able to produce something pretty cool looking. Hopefully, once I am more comfortable with this tool, I will be able to teach without the tutorial aid. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 4.  RE: Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-11-2020 09:09
    Hi George!

I didn't see your class in April. Is there somewhere I can access it? I'm planning for my Tech II class for spring semester and would LOVE to be able to integrate it!

Thank you,
    Chris Heckman

Christine Heckman
    Burlington IL

• 5.  RE: Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-11-2020 12:07
    Hi, and thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see interest in this fantastic tool.

Unfortunately, my April class is not available to email or stream. However, there are lots of tutorials online that'll walk you through the basics, although they are not focused on theatrical design.

One thing I stressed in my class, however, was that SketchUp is not a "primary design" tool. You want a very solid idea of what the set is, either in your head or, ideally, on paper, before you go to the program. Otherwise you risk (and I've seen it happen many times) laying out a bunch of straight lines, squares, rectangles, circles, cylinders, and other shapes rather than creating a proper theatrical set. It's the same as using a word processor to write the Great American Novel: the processor is just a piece of paper. The story comes from inside you..

If there's enough interest, say eight to ten people, I can always offer the class again. And I'll record it this time.  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: Anyone here using or teaching SketchUp?

Posted 12-16-2020 08:37
    Hi George,

I am interested in taking your class!  Thank you for offering to teach it again.

All the best,
    Sheila Newton
    Mansfield High School
    Drama & Choir Director

Sheila Newton
    Choir and Drama Director
    Mansfield High School