Open Forum

View Only

I'm a senior, I deserve it!

• 1.  I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-28-2018 15:40
    ​Hello theatre community,

I have a question on how you all deal with this situation. We have a large and successful theatre program. We put on three shows a year (two musicals, play). We invest a lot of money in these productions so that every student actor and technician is a part of something.

We happen to have very solid theatre programs in our middle schools and they feed our high school program.

Recently, we have had this black cloud of poor behavior and unprofessionalism from some of the upper classman. They have made very negative social media posts about not getting roles. Not fair because they are a senior. They have put in their time. Underclassmen should never have leads, so on and so on.

How do you handle this?

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 2.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 08:35
    Great question. This really strikes a chord with me. I feel like I deal with it every year.

I think students go through a phase of detachment in their senior year. It typically happens after their last show or when they realize their time in our troupe is coming to an end. Regardless of how involved with the program they had been, I sense a certain unhappiness in the final couple of months. This can be expressed at castings, choice of shows, the underclassmen, our program, and often me. I use to take it personally, and it still can hurt my feelings. But I have come to think this is just the process of separation. Generally, the kids have felt vested in the program, and are sad that they are leaving the program. They don't know how to deal with this change in their lives. The way they handle the loss is what I see.

Social media has made this more difficult. There are so many great things about social media, but it also gives these students a chance to share their unhappiness with a larger audience and gain a voice. While I still don't take it personally, it is more hurtful to have this negativity expressed on social media. I'm not sure there is really an answer to this question. People can say whatever they want on their own social media. When a troupe director has nothing left to offer a student, a natural place to extend this detachment or accelerate the separation is on social media.

I have tried to caution students of posting negative things on social media (you are always auditioning - future directors and employers could see your post - they may not go away - theatre is a small world.) I have also emphasized that these students are part of a legacy at our school. They should be proud of their work. They have built the foundation for what we do next. And I discourage them from tearing down their own work by posting disparagingly about their own program.

I think it is likely to keep happening. When I was in college, I disliked one of our guest directors. It was probably peevish and juvenile. I dropped the show as the assistant director. The head of the theatre department called me in to his office. I was also the assistant director for another guest director. The department chair took the other show away from me. It made me really mad. If I had social media at 20 years old, I am not sure what I would have posted.

I have tried to make up for dropping the show for nearly 30 years. 

A couple of years ago, a former students came back to see our scene shop. The student broke down in tears and apologized for the terrible behavior they displayed as a senior. I was stunned. This student was one of my favorites. If I thought deeply about it, I probably could have come up with something they did wrong as a senior, but I really couldn't come up with anything. I told the student that they were normal and that their was no reason to still feel bad. It is my job to deal with all sorts of students behavior. The student may have felt bad about the situation, but I see it every year. 

And a couple of years ago, I apologized to the director whose show I dropped. He also told me to let it go. But as a side note: this director has never cast or hired me as an adult. That might be the real lesson.

I think we need to be willing to let our seniors go through their own natural grieving process, as their time in high school comes to an end. I just think we need to work harder to help students through this change of season in their lives. We also need to continue to caution them on how to properly use social media.

I also think we could look to EdTA's Core Values in leading these discussions with our own students.
    People Matter
    Strive for Excellence
    Work Together
    Be the Person with whom You want to Work 

The last one may be the most important in this situation.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 3.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 10:58
    What a valuable discussion strand.
    My Thespians discussed this periodically, cause we often had seniors who once they received their college acceptance letters, they mentally and emotionally checked out. We devised a win-win situation into our production season. The final play of each year was known as a production which featured the seniors and hard working upperclassmen. I chose a play to showcase the upperclasspersons’ talents. At the beginning of second semester, these students indicated how they wanted to take part, as a technical designer and/or running crew or actor.
    Because it was their so called final play, they bought into making it theirs. After the curtain call, we honored each senior involved, with brief accounts of their high school theatre contributions. And they took their final bow.
    As part of their separate class work, we also had senior projects.
    And as a third innovation I connected with their elementary teachers to send writings of their present elementary students. The seniors were in charge of dramatizing the writings and devising a production of the dramatized elementary writings. As part of the final week is school we toured elementary schools.
    It is amazing how seniors want to do their best performance for the former elementary teachers.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 4.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 10:48
    Hi Crit,

I agree with the other comment that seniors tend to go through a detachment phase, especially in the spring, which can be hard to handle. Two years ago, all my seniors celebrated the unofficial "senior skip day" during our tech week. We had a long conversation about priorities and responsibilities. Also, the "I deserve this" attitude can lend itself to a long and important conversation about something similar: hazing and the toxic culture that's cyclicly perpetuated by upperclassmen inflicting pain and embarrassment on underclassmen because they were hurt and embarrassed when they were young (i.e. we earned the right to do this).

I think another way to go about addressing this issue is to look into more student-driven, ensemble-based projects for the spring semester, which can allow all students to take part and have their voices heard without any resentment: Neo-futurism, adapting children's books, student-written mini-musicals. Basically, take the "lead role" out of the equation, and have them focus on the work and their final time together instead.

Evan Mitchell
    Hillsborough NC
    Cedar Ridge High School

• 5.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 12:19
    This is two issues, really:
    1. Seniors feeling that they deserve a lead because they're seniors.
    2. Groupchat backstabbing.

I have had to deal with both of these.
    the online aspect is no different than the usual gossip that happens right after casting, except it is online and spreads faster to a larger audience. I try to ignore it as much as possible, but when a student (who got a lead) comes to me complaining about what people are saying about her online, that's bullying, and I've had to step in. Mostly, though, it fades away in about a week after casting.

There's a speech that I've given so many times many of my students know it by heart:
    "Casting is a math problem. I know you think it's personal, and I know it feels personal, but it's not. It's math. I have X number of students who tried out. I have Y number of parts. I try to make X fit into Y without a remainder. Sometimes we will have to double up on parts. Sometimes we have to expand the number of parts...but we always get there. Add to this the concept that not all actors are interchangeable for all parts, and a pattern appears...some people are better suited for certain roles. I really don't care if someone is a freshman or a senior, as long as they are well-suited to the part. This is a school. We're all learning here. Let's have some fun."

Also- I have had some success with a "casting committee"...if you can get another teacher (not a parent or a student) to sit in on casting, it gives a different feeling to the process. You'll still be making the final decisions- but it lends some gravitas to the process.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 6.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 13:41
    I'm not a teacher and haven't had to deal with this, but I've seen similar behavior in areas other than theater, so I'll throw in my two cents' worth.

What I've noticed is that it's a matter of perception: some people assume that things are done (or should be done) for a reason that they believe exists, and then they proceed to act as though the reason, and the assumption, were correct. If the reason they believe exists is not recognized and stopped up front, then they have no reason to think otherwise.

Schools are supposed to train people for the real world; they're not supposed to be a universe in and of themselves. I've spoken with athletic coaches about this, and they've indicated that their kids are trained to play sports the same way as in the real world, except of course for recognizing that the kids may be smaller and not as strong. In the real world, actors are cast for a variety of reasons (fit for the part, chemistry with others, and so on and on), just like most of you probably cast them. But if this isn't made clear up front, and if the idea of "getting the lead" is prevalent, then of course some kids are going to make assumptions and act as if their assumptions were correct. I've been around non-school theatre for over thirty years and I've never heard an actor referring to a role as "the lead." I've heard it on TV and in the movies ("Hey, Mom, I got the lead in the school play!"), but never in real life. So, IMHO, maybe this is a term that needs to be thrown out right up front.

I've written about this several times regarding my field, which is set design. I've seen any number of kids come out of a college "tech theater program" and go work in a real scene shop, and get a serious case of culture shock immediately. Some of them have had no clue how to build even simple scenery, use tools correctly, or hold a paintbrush. And I think getting that culture shock is really sad.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 7.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 13:29
    Hi Crit -

I totally empathize with what you're going through. I think there have been some great ideas floated your way.  I LOVE Billy's straight-up "it's math!" speech!

Let me add that Social Media has forced me to rethink how I run our Theatre program.  SM has created a new world that we are all struggling to learn how to deal with and use responsibly.  I have made Social Media part of our program and taught kids about the reality of posting things online: once your inner monologue is posted, it's published for all to see FOREVER - so think before pressing send or enter and if possible, get a good nights sleep first - you might want to edit or delete in the morning.

My Thespian officers and my fellow theatre teachers have also created "The 10 Commandments of Social Media Etiquette."  We give this to all Thespians and keep it posted in the classroom and greenroom. I have received many emails asking for a copy of the document so I replied to those emails and started a new post called "Social Media Etiquette"  with the document attached for everyone to see.  

I have included another document: "Thespian Code of Ethics" which we have all of our Thespians read and sign.

I hope these are helpful!

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell CA

• 8.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 17:16
    I have an audition agreement everyone signs when they audition. It includes a line about understanding that everyone has an equal opportunity to be cast in any role. If I'm aware of students with attitude issues, I approach them (individually or as a group) and discuss how there is no senior preference when casting. All roles were open to them when they were younger. All roles are earned and the feeling of entitlement will not serve them in the future. If they have a problem with my policies they don't have to participate. It may sound harsh, but I'd rather not work with attitude problems.

Best of luck!

• 9.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 17:32
    I would imagine that all of us experience this on one level or another. I agree that it is mostly a natural part of maturing and moving on for the student. We are best to ignore it as long as we can,

In recent years, I have had a growing number of seniors who will not accept a non-lead role in our musical. It is always because they didn't anticipate so many schedule conflicts or that they have a lot going on at home, etc, but really it is because the part they were offered was not big enough to match their obvious talents. I am trying to overcome this int he long run by talking about it a lot with the underclassmen.

This year I had a student drop out of the musical with less than three weeks to go. I expressed my concern to the parent about what this might teach the student about taking responsibility and fulfilling commitments; I was told in no uncertain terms that this student had learned how to take responsibility and fulfill commitments years ago.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 10.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 18:57

1)  Make behavior and attitude a part of the contract students and parents sign before or after casting. My contract clearly states warnings about social media and the consequences of any behavior seen as affecting the ensemble and safe space you need to create. We talk through the contract at our first rehearsal and I really emphasize proper behavior and attitudes. I have removed 1 senior from a show, and had to talk to a few others.  Be willing to follow through.  

2) I don't know if sports analogies work, but coaches bench players all the time due to attitude issues or players not working hard in practices. I also know very talented players who did not advance to Varsity due to these reasons. I also have known of athletes who did not even make the team their senior year due to feeling they deserved the spot, rather than working for it. We had an athlete last year who broke all sorts of state records and was not picked up by a major university due to her unsportsmanlike behavior on the field that recruiters saw.

3) All of your students deserve to have a great experience and feel accepted and safe.  Don't allow upperclassmen to interfere with that. Talk to them individually and talk to the whole cast when necessary. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 11.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 19:21
    Many factors go into the challenges and joys of working with seniors. Here are some things I often discuss with them and what we do to work on situations:

1. Remind seniors that it's natural to feel that they have outgrown the program or are underappreciated. It's healthy, as it's probably a sign that they have matured and are ready to move on to new things. No matter how much we think our programs are like professional opportunities or we want them treated as such, the fact is that they aren't, they are high school theatre, and it's healthy for a senior to be ready to move past that. They probably feel this way not just about theatre, but about school in general right now and that's okay. They get to choose if they want to do theatre with us and if the joy of doing it outweighs the parts they don't like. If it doesn't, it's okay to move on from it early, if it does, then we recommend they focus on the joy and get absorbed with the magic of it that made them want to do all of this in the first place when they got to high school. Nostalgia often works here. 

2. We regularly cast students from all grades in all roles, and so they may get a huge role they really wanted as a freshman and not one at all the next year. By doing this all of the time, everyone is less sour about it, because they themselves watched seniors not get roles they wanted. We remind them about how other seniors have handled it (both the good and the bad) and how that made them feel when they were and underclassman. If they want to be part of the program, they care about the troupe, not just about themselves inside of it and we remind them about this. 

3. Public and instigative dissention isn't tolerated among out troupe members. Our students have it written in their constitution and it's taken pretty seriously. Social media discussions about troupe matters aren't permissible and are grounds for going inactive from the troupe and being removed from a show. We are pretty tight about social media within our troupe as it does impact our program as a whole. This doesn't stop students from bickering to one another, but it cuts down on it going public which can cut down on it spreading. We aren't perfect at nipping the behavior all together in the bud, but having social media clauses and dissention mentioned frequently at meetings, listed in show participation contracts, and within your troupe constitution and by-laws can help.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 12.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-29-2018 21:21
    It appears this is something many of us struggle with. Students in our program now refer to what they call the 'senior curse'...which is when 'that' senior everyone expects to get a certain role does not. I have had a Thespian Honor Society President actually quit mid-year over this. That was many years ago now, but it is actually part of the lore of our program, and pointed to by other students as revealing lack of character on her part. I work hard to make it clear that we are casting a particular show, not a showcase. Otherwise why bother with auditions at all? I also make a point NOT to make casting decisions on my own. Being very overt on this matter for seven years running (in this school) seems to have made a difference. You can't take personally they manner in which a student handles disappointment. Ultimately it reveals more about their character, and if it is enough to make them quit theatre, then perhaps they are better off figuring that out now. 

I am also open about the fact that directors (panels) make 'mistakes' casting shows as well. How many of us have cast that actor who was great in auditions, but was in the same place at opening? Or have taken a risk on a young, untested actor and had it backfire? It's all part of the process. 

As the amount of student written and directed work grows in our program, more students are faced with this casting challenge and that has helped as well. It's generally the seniors who are taking on this work, which satisfies them and allows me to work (second semester) with the younger up and coming students.

Tom Schulz
    Singapore

• 13.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 07:52
    I know a lot of people have responded already, but hey, one more can't hurt. 

I went through a similar situation on high school, but social media didn't exist, so ranting publicly wasn't an option like that. But the question was, did they not get the parts because there were other people better for the role, or did they not get it because of their attitude prior?  

In my situation I was a senior, and it was a small school and I got most of the leads by default. It was always between two of us males. So, my senior year, we did a Shakespeare play, and I was not cast as the lead. I was cast as a small bit part that was in the show like twice for two seconds. I was mad, and annoyed and didn't understand. The director pulled me aside on her own and explained that it was time to start giving roles to the younger students to start grooming them, I had my turn. Which if course, I was a senior and it really annoyed me, it was my last chance to do something amazing in high school. I still remember that time, and it depends on the day, but I mostly now agree that she made the choice for a reason and I had to just go with it. I was hurt and lashed out to my parents. I do think that lashing out socially, unfortunately is starting to me a normal thing, but its definitely still not appropriate, and it is clear that they didn't think of the consequences before doing so.  I think there will be a short time where they are annoyed, but eventually they will see why your choices were made. And if not, its just something they will have to deal with.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 14.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 09:39
    Any student who auditions should have an equal chance at a given part. Seniors, if they have put in the work, shouldn't have a problem getting a part over another younger student. Therefore, simply being a senior should not be enough to get a part. 
    Upperclassmen who post negative things about others in a cast don't last long in productions. You only have to recast once or twice before that behavior no longer happens. Instead of rewarding seniority with roles, reward those who are positive, have a good work ethic and don't post negative things online.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 15.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 10:04
    Two issues here: One is the question of seniors having seniority in casting decisions, and the other is the reality of social-media drama.

To the second, I think we should all continue to give careful thought and discussion. It's worth talking about with your students, including in your troupe's guidelines, and advocating about at every opportunity. It's a scary world in which students can be bullied and manipulated at all hours of the day.

To the senior-entitlement question, I think communication of your policy can nip that, too. The 'math' conversation referenced earlier is a great one. That said, it's each teacher's own choice on whether seniors should be given precedence.

When I can, I do, simply because for most of them it's their last time doing anything like this, and if they've participated for years they have probably matured their skills enough to deserve it. That said, if the lead role is a younger character than the rest of the cast, I can't justify casting a senior for a role they'll look out of place playing - and I say it that way so they know it.

In the end, it's all about keeping the lines of communication open. Let the students ask and say what is on their minds, and give them straight answers, letting them know you are sensitive to what they want but you are minding the big picture and reserving the final word. They should get that.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 16.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 13:20
    I am so grateful for this thread.  For years, our program weighed seniority very heavily in casting decisions.  Frankly, I always thought that it often failed to serve the production - and the students! - so I've been weaning us off of that tradition for the past few years.  It has certainly had its hurdles, but it's settling down now.  

I'm glad to have all of your ideas and responses on record, so I can use them as evidence to support our philosophy!  "See, Mrs. Angry Mom of a Senior?!?  All of these other programs feel the same way about this! I'm not just being mean!"

We, like so many others who have responded, have found it helpful to be crystal clear about our casting philosophy/process from the very beginning.  I put very blunt language about it in all info to both parents and students, similar to the marvelous "mathematical breakdown" suggestion above.  Also, when we have callbacks, we have the students sit in on each other's auditions (general auditions are private).  Nine times out of ten, it is very clear who should get what role, and it helps to soften the blow, so to speak.

Good luck - and stick to your ideals!

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 17.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 13:21
    We have a contract the students sign, and one of the sayings we stick to (and they all know by heart) is, "There will be no drama in drama."  One of the others that we say quite frequently, "The most important person on stage is the person next to you."  I hear students self-policing quite often.  If someone is gossiping or being negative, they will simply say, "No drama in drama..."

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 18.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 04-30-2018 16:08
    About the only time that seniority comes into play in casting at my school is when all other factors are equal.  If we have two or more candidates for a role who are so equally right for a role that we can't make up our minds, then a senior will probably get the part over a sophomore.  Otherwise, it's not a consideration.

I did have some seniors grumble two years ago when a freshman got a lead and those seniors got cameo and supporting parts in the same show.  I told them honestly but gently that the freshman had auditioned with a power and an energy that they hadn't given me, and that he fit the role better than any of them did, though I wanted them in the show in the parts that I had offered them.  Fortunately, they all stayed on.

That's usually the way it goes when students bring up the issue with me or with the other teacher at my school.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 19.  RE: I'm a senior, I deserve it!

Posted 05-01-2018 09:22
    Valuable and important discussion. Thanks to all who have participated. I'm sure it's helping a great many others.

For what it's worth, please ensure your students that schools and prospective employers WILL troll them, looking for just such negative behaviors and comments. I assure you that it's cost people internships, jobs, dates, roles, and more.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH