Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  independent learning videos

Posted 08-10-2020 19:50
    Hello All,
    Our weekly teaching schedule for online learning includes one day of week that we do not have contact with students. During that 1 hour session, I'd like to have my students watch theatre-related videos that they can take notes on/summarize. What sources do you recommend? 30-45 minute videos are ideal. Thanks enormously!

------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 2.  RE: independent learning videos

Posted 08-11-2020 11:56
    PBS has a wonderful series on the History of Theatre, called Crash Course Theater, that is great for middle and high school students. Each video is roughly 15-20 minutes long.

Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO

• 3.  RE: independent learning videos

Posted 08-12-2020 09:07
    It costs a little, but Teachers Pay Teachers has worksheets to go with
    Crash Course.

--

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    asando@dcsd.k12.nv.us
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you
    ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 4.  RE: independent learning videos

Posted 08-12-2020 08:57
    I love the newer American Theatre Wing "Working in the Theatre" videos.  These videos cover all aspects of the process of creating theatre including playwriting, specialty props, devised theatre, profiles and panels with working artists, features about specific productions or theatre companies and so much more.  I like them because they illuminate for students just how many collaborators and jobs there are in the theatre.  They also do a pretty good job with representation.  Some of the ones that I show regularly are the playwriting video about the program at the Lark and the scenic design one featuring Beowulf Borrit and the one about projection design featuring "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark". My students loved "Casebook: Hadestown" which follows the NY Theatre Workshop production. They are on average about 15-40 minutes but there are some short ones and some that are an hour or more.  The first 74 on this playlist are the ones I am talking about.  The older ones are mostly panels and interviews that are interesting, but not so engaging to students.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL31C5F6C2FE17EB61
    The ATW "In the Wings" videos are also great, but much more bite-sized (4-6 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhy08ToOw66pLYER8juotDyoGy_x_eYYk
    Get ready to go down a rabbit hole!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC