Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public Speaking/Presentation Skills

Posted 09-24-2018 11:48
    HI,
     I have just been made full time at my school. This all happened after the beginning of the year so I will continue to teach my one theatre class. We are on a block schedule so I have two class periods to fill. I am charged with integrating into the ninth and tenth grade classes and the capstone class to develop their presentation skills.  Does anyone have a scope and sequence for presentations or public speaking that I could look at and build off of?  The presentations tend to be stand in front of the screen and read what they put into a powerpoint. I am hoping to get them to think beyond this. We are standards based so I am working on developing standards and scales for these projects.  I am willing to share what I  develop.  Thank you for your help with this.
    Cathy

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Public Speaking/Presentation Skills

Posted 09-25-2018 06:55
    I also have a course second semester called Public Speaking.  I'd like to focus on presentation skills so I am following this thread closely.  I would also appreciate any and all suggestions/curricular ideas.
    Thanks,

Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois Area Senior High School
    Troupe 6949
    DuBois, PA

• 3.  RE: Public Speaking/Presentation Skills

Posted 09-25-2018 10:55
      |   view attached
    Along with my Intro to Acting class I started teaching a Freshman Skills class a couple years ago and continue to tweak the lessons.  We are coming into our Work/Career/Public Speaking Unit, which is the longest of all.  In this unit they research their top job choice, learn to use note card/bibliography effectively and build a resume.  The two public speaking assignments are 1) to "present" facts about their number one job (using note cards), and 2) to get up on stage under the lights and interview for their #1 job.  In the mock interview half the class waits to be called in the theatre lobby and the others are the interviewERS (but I ask all the questions).

During this unit they are also introduced to the "Seven Vocal Element of Storytelling" which I ask them to learn, define and utilize the script marking symbols.  I've attached them for you.

I am heading into a meeting right now, but if you want more info email me back and I'll end you some more curriculum handouts.

Cheers!​

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    Troup 5596, I.T.S.
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

Attachment(s)