Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Directing Bye Bye Birdie

Posted 02-06-2014 13:31
    We are in the midst of rehearsals for Bye Bye Birdie. If you have done this show in the past, can you tell me if there is a recording of the Ed Sullivan voice that I might be able to buy or use? On the same note, can you tell me what you did with the Ed Sullivan voice in your production? Thanks! ------------------------------------------- Susan Sterman-Jones Drama Teacher/ Director -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Directing Bye Bye Birdie

Posted 02-07-2014 07:22
    Oh, I love Bye Bye Birdie!!  I hope you are having a blast working on it!  I don't know of a recording. We contacted a local DJ/Emcee who could imitate Ed Sullivan and he recorded for us.  I bet there is someone in your community who could do it.  When I need adult voice over work, I always head to the folks at our community theatre.  They are always so great to work with and so willing to step in. 

Hope that helps!  Break a leg!!

-------------------------------------------
    Carolyn Greer

• 3.  RE:Directing Bye Bye Birdie

Posted 02-08-2014 12:13

When I did it a couple years ago, our principal at the time was a real ham. So he did the voice, imitating Ed Sullivan as best he could. (It didn't matter how good it was; the audiences just loved that it was him.) Also, we didn't tape it, but dressed him in a tux and he did it live for each performance. It was a hoot.
    Robin Share
    Teacher
    Los Angeles Unified School District

• 4.  RE:Directing Bye Bye Birdie

Posted 02-08-2014 15:31
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the principal doing it live idea!!!!!!!

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools

• 5.  RE:Directing Bye Bye Birdie

Posted 02-08-2014 16:09
    I asked a teacher to do the role. He had a blast working on an impression and performed it for us every night.
    :)

Amber Goodspeed
    Teacher/Director
    School District of Superior