Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-15-2018 00:20
    What should I tell my students who want to hi-lite their character's name in the script to help them memorize their lines?  Is it better to have them hi-lite the cue before their lines?  Not hi-lite at all?  Any other suggestions?

------------------------------
    Karen Fairbank
    Director, eighth grade play
    Thomas Jefferson School
    St. Louis MO

• 2.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-15-2018 09:13
    ​Good morning,

It varies with our kids. Whatever works best for them. Many kids highlight their all lines and use the post it tabs for the cues.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-15-2018 10:55
    Hello,

I tell my cast members to hi-lite lines in one color and stage directions and cues in another color and I'd prefer they hi-lite the entire line because sometimes lines are broken up by stage directions and they don't always pick up the complete line.  Actually, my biggest problem is getting students to actually look at their lines between rehearsals, but that might be a topic for another thread!

Good luck,

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 4.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-16-2018 07:33
    I think it is a matter of preference for the actor/student.  I also think that script analysis is probably the thing to be going after... many of my students sort of "destroy" their scripts with beats and tactics-- all sorts of notes, I think that is the key.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-15-2018 11:01
    I have had a participant who did his lines with one color, his cues with another, and his staging with a third.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 6.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-15-2018 11:24
    That said, when I am in a play I never highlight everything. That reinforces the notion (for me) that I am responsible for the whole show.

In the end, it's up to the individual, unless you choose to lay down some specific guidelines to provide continuity.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: memorizing and hi-liting

Posted 03-16-2018 08:01
    I emphasize that everyone learns differently, and will learn lines differently.  They need to think about how they learn and try some different things to see what exactly works for them.   I use the example that when I was in high school, and I went and highlighted all my lines completely with a blue highlighter.  All my brain could remember were the blocks of highlighted color on the page and not the words in them. I tried a small section highlighted in yellow, same thing.   I could remember my cue lines, but not how to respond.  My brain remembers color--not what is in that color.  It's an individual thing,  just like kids who can learn from looking at the words vs. kids who learn better by hearing them.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH