Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Few Males / Strong lead female

Posted 03-24-2022 16:42
    I am just wondering if any high school has had the same circumstance as we do? One extremely strong female and only three men, only one of whom can sing but not terribly well. I am looking to find a musical for next Spring. We just finished Shrek and we are losing our two best males to graduation. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Rody Gilkeson

• 2.  RE: Few Males / Strong lead female

Posted 03-25-2022 04:50
    Hello,
    Once Upon A Mattress comes to mind. Such a fun show and great for a strong female lead. Since the King is mute, no worries about his lack of singing. My two cents!
    Good luck,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Few Males / Strong lead female

Posted 03-25-2022 11:50
    My Fair Lady has fallen out of favor in high schools, but I directed it once when I was in the situation you are in, and it was loads of fun.  It is one of those shows, like Once Upon a Mattress, with a company that can accommodate a lot of relatively inexperienced actors and gives them a chance to improve their singing and dancing skills in a group.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 4.  RE: Few Males / Strong lead female

Posted 03-30-2022 07:55
    Following!  I too am losing the bulk of my singers!! And my kids and I adore musicals. What to do!!!?? I have cast aside my hope for a musical really. I was going to go the Edgar Allan Poe direction and cast with my one boy Poe, then most of the narrators as female, but the show just seems really dark for us, especially for my very kind eyed male.

I too have one very strong triple threat female who is begging for an "over the top" memorable role, my kind eyed male, who also can sing, and then it falls off super fast after that.  I will be doubling for sure. 

I realize a musical might not be in the works....but please, hive mind, help me too find a show that maybe we can incorporate some of our own underscoring into just to keep the energy up. We always struggle with energy, and take our song and dance away... and I am afraid we will fall flat on our faces!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville GA