Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-20-2016 00:41

Shorewood HS in the Shoreline School Dist. just north of Seattle has posted an opening for a full-time position in English and theatre.

Here is the official job posting: http://schools.shorelineschools.org/hr/employment/

We’ll be looking for a person who

• has a WA teaching certificate with endorsement in English, language arts, and/or theatre.
    • has teaching experience or superior student teaching references.
    • will teach theatre and English.
    • wants to grow a strong program.
    • will direct and lead the extra-curricular drama program.
    • will work in a beautiful, new (opened in 2013) 425 seat theatre with excellent lights & sound, fly loft, scene shop, makeup/green room, black box theatre, and good storage.
    • will have tech support from multiple adults, including a theatre manager.
    • will work with an established and committed student and parent group.
    • will have a supportive building admin team and community.

Please spread this message to anyone who might be interested. You can write me with questions.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shorewood HS
    English Dept. Co-Head
    Shoreline WA
    barb.lachman@shorelineschools.org

• 2.  RE: Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-20-2016 00:56

More specific job posting link: https://www2.nwrdc.wa-k12.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wshorels71/rappljoblst0502.w?isPopup=true

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 3.  RE: Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-21-2016 11:04

Having taught English AND Theatre, I have reservations about the listing bullet point:

"desire to create a strong theatre programme"

The amount of work that goes into teaching Engish AND "creating a strong theatre programme" are not synonymous. Please expound. What exactly IS the percentage of English classes/Theatre classes?

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 4.  RE: Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-21-2016 16:06

The job is .8 English and .2 drama in the curricular day. There is also an extra-curricular stipend of $6,277. More specifics of the job are in the job listing.

http://schools.shorelineschools.org/hr/employment/

Click Fast Track

Sort by location and scroll down to "Shorewood"

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 5.  RE: Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-22-2016 08:56

Thanks for posting this, Barb! Wow, that is a great opportunity! If it was available one year later, I'd apply, but I am committed to my current position for at least another year. I even did my student teaching at Shorecrest High School. If whoever you hire doesn't end up working out, let me know :)

Also, Donalda, I know that teaching Drama and English is not necessarily ideal, but it's a reality for many of us. I'd also say that I have (and I'm sure many, many other teachers here have as well) built a successful program while teaching primarily English. Just my two cents.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 6.  RE: Drama/English job in Western Washington State

Posted 06-22-2016 10:30

Please spread the word to people you know, Chris. I'm sorry you're not available.

There are areas of the country where a full-time curricular/extra-curricular theatre job is common, but it is rare in Washington. Jobs that used to include more sections of drama have been reduced because of graduation requirements that restrict the ability of students to take electives. Many of our committed drama students are also vocal or instrumental musicians, and that dominates their elective choices. I agree that it makes for a very challenging position, but I did it for 26 years!

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA