Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-24-2022 19:09
    Hello! 

I teach / direct at a (comparatively) small high school in South Dakota. For a school our size, I am currently in a great position with vocal and acting talent. Next year, I'll have 4 very solid and talented senior boys, 5 very talented and solid senior girls, and 2-3 each in the junior class. These are actors who can easily handle a solo. They're hard workers and loyal members to our school's theater program. In addition to this I have at least 25-30 solid chorus members in grades 10-12. 

We usually don't like to redo a musical unless it's been at least 10 years; however, 9 years ago we did Seussical and the large opportunity to feature a lot of singers is making this show very appealing right now. I've counted about 12 parts that can be featured in solos or duets not counting bird girls. Obviously, we don't pre-cast but we can see the show working really well with our current kids and our upcoming 8th graders. The downfall is that we did it 9 years ago. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of a show that is built similarly to Seussical: a heavily featured chorus and a lot of opportunities for solos for a large number of actors? It doesn't have to be a "kid" show like that one but it's okay if it is. 

Thanks for all your suggestions and help :-)

------------------------------
    Cynthia Scherer
    Teacher
    Spearfish High School
    SD

• 2.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 06:09

Hi Cynthia - Like You Like It has five female leads, four male leads and a lot of ensemble moments to shine. It's a very fun (if I may say so myself - I'm one of the writers) 1980s adaptation of As You Like It - basically Shakespeare meets John Hughes. Here is the link : https://broadwaylicensing.com/shows/musicals/like-you-like-it/
    If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer.

Whether it's this show or another, best wishes on an awesome show!

Thanks,
    Sammy Buck

Sammy Buck

• 3.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 08:52
    I'll add Urinetown and Spamalot. However, if Suessical is a great fit and the kids are into, then why not reconsider it.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-26-2022 10:44
    If you can do something that may not have name recognition (yet) may I suggest Ranked, the musical by Kyle Holmes and David Taylor Gomes?  I can't say enough wonderful things about this one.  It has a wonderful "poppy" score ( our kids likened to Dear Evan Hansen) lots of roles and featured singing.  The authors are great and very responsive. 

Holly

• 5.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 07:19
    Hi Cynthia!
    It is great to hear that your program is thriving! My program is rebuilding after the year of virtual learning, but here are some of the shows I have done in the past that may meet your criteria:
    Les Miserables (there is a high school version)
    The Secret Garden
    Guys and Dolls
    The Pajama Game
    Sweeney Todd (high school version)
    Anything Goes
    Feel free to email me if you want to follow up on any of the titles.
    Good Luck!
    Mary

Mary Mitchell-Donahue
    Theatre Director, Fine Arts Department Chair
    Bishop McNamara High School
    MD

• 6.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 08:43
    I absolutely love HONK! and we are producing it right now.  You have Ida, Ugly, Drake, and Cat as your main leads but solo and duet opportunities for Greylag, Dot, Queenie, Lowbutt, Bullfrog, and Maureen.  Plus you have the ducklings and a number of other smaller roles.  While written for a smaller ensemble it is totally expandable.  We have 39 in our cast.  In addition, the message is just lovely.

Scott Usher
    Hartland High School
    MI

• 7.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 11:03
    Maybe Lightening Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical?
    There are 3 "Leads" (Percy, Annabeth, and Grover) and a bunch of characters who get solos and bits. It can also be expanded or reduced based on your group.

Becky Gil
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Willows Preparatory School
    Redmond, WA
    www.willowsprep.com

• 8.  RE: Musical: Lots of Parts

Posted 03-25-2022 14:34
    About 5 years ago I really enjoyed directing Curtains. It has (if I remember correctly) about 16 named roles and great ensemble numbers. It is published through TRW.
    -Rob