Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-06-2018 13:50
    My program is in a bit of financial crisis. We absolutely need a sure fire, can't miss fall musical that will make us $$$$
    I have the rights to both Newsies and Mama Mia. I feel confident in our ability to do either, although Newsies is generally a tougher show. 
    The future of my program probably depends on my making the right decision. 
    Any thoughts? 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 2.  RE: Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-06-2018 18:57
    Good afternoon,

Mamma Mia, without a doubt. We had two community theatres do the show and both sold out and added performances. I love Newsies as well. Our sister school piloted the production last year and took it to festival this year. Great show as well.

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-07-2018 08:49
    Who do you think you'd have a stronger team for? Cast and design wise? Newsies has premiered a lot on this side of MA, and Mama Mia has not been done a lot on this side of MA, but of course, we know things are different on the western end. Could you do some kind of big audience poll to help drum up interest? Give a week for people to cast their vote, and do a big reveal? 

--

• 4.  RE: Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-07-2018 12:21
    If you want to make money, I recommend choosing a show that targets family audiences.  SEUSSICAL was a HUGE hit with our community last spring - families are looking for something they can bring their whole tribe to see and we sold out every performance BEFORE we even opened.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 5.  RE: Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-09-2018 07:43
    Annie.  Bring in a handful of middle school and/or elementary kids to be extra orphans, and market heavily to your feeder schools. Do a toy drive in connection with the show (Bring a toy and get a free item from the concessions stand) and see if you can get any media coverage. See if you can get teachers in your school to give extra credit. 

We did Annie Jr last fall, and it was our biggest money maker to date.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Need to pick a big money making musical

Posted 08-10-2018 00:07
    If you are asking between the two— I would say Mamma Mia solely because the movie just came out. While Newsies might be more popular in the theatre world, in pop culture- Mamma Mia wins it. You will probably make a killing. Break a leg!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------