Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One acts for middle school

Posted 07-20-2018 06:03
    Looking for suggestions for an all 8th grade cast. 3 boys, 16 girls.
    Preferably a creative  ensemble drama with music but not a musical. Something with heart and substance that can be cut for a 45 minute Theatre conference as well.
    Suggestions?

------------------------------
    Heather Davidson
    Drama Teacher
    Augusta GA

• 2.  RE: One acts for middle school

Posted 07-21-2018 11:33

"Totally Red" by Dinah Toups, Music by Barbara Walker, Anchorage Press Plays  (multiple retellings of Red Riding Hood in different genres. Sounds babyish, but it is hysterical-especially the Shakespearean retelling...and the avant garde...and the.... oh, you get the idea. The middle school kids I did this with still remember this show fondly and they are in college now.  Flexible casting. Oh, and the musical retelling is optional.)

"Math and Aftermath" by Jim Grimsley, Broadway Play Publishing (A bit of a middle school psychodrama, but well done. There was a lot of conversation between kids and adults at the end of this one. Large flexible cast, but I do not remember the specifics.) 

"The Chronicles of Jane, Book VII" by Alan Haehnel, Baker's Plays (Light-hearted, age-appropriate show with a large flexible cast. Lots of chance for imaginative movement/staging.)

"What Part Will I Play?" by Mary Hall-Surface, Anchorage Press Plays   (In my experience, it is difficult to go wrong with Mary Hall-Surface's work.  Lost of girls come to an audition and have to take up time while waiting for the director. I am not sure if there are more than 1 or 2 parts for boys in this one, but it is worth a look.)

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: One acts for middle school

Posted 07-23-2018 09:39
    Just as an fyi, Dramatic Publishing Company acquired Anchorage Press several years back and now represents many of the titles that were in there catalog, including Totally Red! Totally Red by Dinah Toups (One-act Play) The Mary Hall Surface title that was mentioned was not included in the acquisition. 

Carrie Granatelli Blomquist
    Professional Leasing Director
    Dramatic Publishing Company
    Woodstock IL