Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  OUR TOWN

Posted 12-10-2018 10:19
    Do you teach the play "Our Town?' I invite only those who do teach the play to respond. 
    If so, is it required reading for the English Curriculum or the V&PA Theatre Curriculum or IB Theatre? 
    If not included in the required course curriculum, is is included in the resources or supplemental lists?
    'If you are answering the above, could you include your school district and state and what grade level includes the play? 

I appreciate your help. 
    I am researching the information for a colleague. None of your school information will be shared. 
    Thank you.

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 2.  RE: OUR TOWN

Posted 12-11-2018 11:27
    Hi Gai,

I do teach "Our Town" in my Drama II (mostly Sophomores and some Juniors; Tech Theatre combined with Acting II) classes.  It is not part of the required curriculum, but is on a supplemental list.  We are fortunate in my district (Whitfield County in north Georgia) to have a fairly flexible listing of scripts we are required to cover.

Through "Our Town"  I focus on Georgia Theatre standards of (among others):
    - Set Design
    - Historical/Culturally Significant Texts
    - Directing
    - The role of and interaction of narrator/chorus
    - Script Analysis

I also coordinate with our English department to see which teachers cover it in their standard or AP classes.  If there is a large number of cross-over students, I focus specifically on the theatrical principles of the text and the ELA teachers focus on the literary and cultural aspects.

Every year, I'm amazed at how many of my students BEG me to produce the show for the general public.  Maybe next year...?

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: OUR TOWN

Posted 12-12-2018 00:12
    In high school my daughter, a violinist, was asked to be in the cast of "Our Town"  She was thrilled!  It was a production in the round and she played during the scene changes and also during other times as underscoring.  It was a stunning addition.  An accomplished violinist, she and her teacher came up with the music, all was memorized and everyone commented on what a great addition she was to the show.

Corinne Walker
    Private voice teacher
    Musical theater director
    Mesa, Arizona
    corinnewalk4.wixsite.com/mesa

• 4.  RE: OUR TOWN

Posted 12-12-2018 08:52
    Gai Laing Jones
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net

Www.gaijones.com

• 5.  RE: OUR TOWN

Posted 12-13-2018 17:03
    HI Gay - I have taught and continue to teach OUR TOWN.
    I always find it timely, appropriate and beautiful.
    Even more when the students create time capsules of their time and towns.
    I could talk on and on about how mush I love to read this play aloud in class and to work on characters.
    One year I combined OUR TOWN with O. Henry’s THE GIFT OF THE MAGI and the class created a holiday message that surpassed my expectations because the students generated so much from using the two texts as inspiration.
    Kristin Duerr
    Notre Dame Academy
    Los Angeles CA