Open Forum

View Only

What works for you with ticket sales?

• 1.  What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-20-2015 09:06

Hello theatre community!

In the past, I have required students to sell one ticket to our class produced show as part of their grade and as part of learning how to promote a show. I have also required students to buy a ticket and see the musical (at a discount) as part of their drama grade.

Here's what I don't like about how I have done this in the past:

- students complaining that they have to "buy their grade" - that is not my intention at all

I want to do something different, but we do not get huge audiences and I am scared of losing ticket money that we need in order to produce shows and losing people out of the already medium sized audiences we get.

Our main audiences are our school community. I'd love to expand those audiences as we grow, but right now would just like to deal with this ticket issue for my drama class students.

I'd love to hear what works for you! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Krista Wachob
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    King College Prep
    Chicago IL

• 2.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-20-2015 12:52

You might try making seeing a performance part of the grade without limiting the location. Most of the kids choose to come see the performances here at school because of the ease of location and the reduced ticket price.

I also have an audience etiquette paper that is due in my intro class. The students have to see a live performance and they write a short paper on the behavior of the audience. They really enjoy writing it because they get to grade the adults (including the administration that are present), I enjoy reading it because it's entertaining, it gets them into see the performances, and they learn what inappropriate behavior looks like in reality. 

I can shoot you the assignment if you want. It includes specific behaviors for the kids to look for.
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-22-2015 15:35

I require a theater review each semester. It has to be at a high school level or above, and many students choose to go to our performances.

Shira - would you mind sharing the audience etiquette assignment? I LOVE that idea!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 4.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-23-2015 13:53

I would love to see your Audience Etiquette assignment.

Thanks!

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 5.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-24-2015 06:47

I would also like to see the audience etiquette assignment. 

Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale KS

• 6.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-25-2015 08:39

I would like to view the etiquette assignment as well. I plan on incorporating that early this year.

Kate Caton
    Drury Stage Company Diretcor
    N. Adams MA

• 7.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-26-2015 08:23

Thank you so much, Shira - great ideas! I would love to have your etiquette assignment. I'm at kmwachob@cps.edu. Thank you!

Krista Wachob
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    King College Prep
    Chicago IL

• 8.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-27-2015 08:15

I would like the audience behaviors assignment as well. 

wkerr@auburn.wednet.edu

Thank you  

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 9.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-21-2015 13:09

Hello Ms. Wachob!

I'm a junior at my high school, and our department is familiar with this problem.  One thing that our director does which seems to work effectively to get students to attend the shows is to ask teachers to offer extra credit for going to performances, which means that attending the show won't impact a student's grade unfairly or dramatically.  If the show has any connection to something students are learning in class (for example, when we performed Once On This Island, we talked to our Global History teacher about accommodating our show into a discussion about the racial struggle in Haiti,) that can be a great way to encourage students and teachers to attend the shows.

We also talked with the sports teams and had the coaches gather their teams to come to one performance.  The first time we did this I don't think the football team stayed for the entire performance, but by the next show, they were watching all three acts of "You Can't Take It With You."  This was a great way to have students attend, because they had their friends with them at the performance, making them feel more comfortable in the theatrical setting they probably aren't familiar with.

I hope this helps!  Good luck in this coming school year!

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA

• 10.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-22-2015 12:12

For all theatre classes I require that each student MUST attend that semester's after school production and I offer one dress rehearsal as the "free" option as it is our preview night for the families of the cast and for the theatre students who are required to see the show.  This gives them an opportunity to go see what the theatre department does outside of classes and gives us as a class the opportunity to have a shared experience to discuss when certain topics come up in class.

If students are not able to come on the preview night then they are required to pay for a ticket OR they may work the concession stand on the evening of the production to get their points and get in for free.  

As for the grade I give 100 points just for attending and then depending on the show or the semester students are required to do a written response for an additional grade.

The beautiful thing about this is that students who go on the free night can go with their friends in the classes and those that cannot attend typically bring their family, siblings or other friends and it is a great recruiting tool as they see many of the people they know on stage and often get involved in future productions.  If they aren't able to get involved in the future I find that students have a newfound appreciation for the stage and what we do in theatre class.  

Julie Estrada
    Loveland CO

• 11.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-23-2015 22:25

I do previews. They work much like movie trailers. My principal allows me to offer previews during one class period the day before we open. I invite teachers to bring their classes that hour, so no one feels they are losing instructional time, and only come when they want to. The previews are pretty popular, so I do "first come, first reserved" through email confirmation about a week prior. Once all my seats are reserved, I have to cut off teacher requests.

Once classes are in and seated, I go over proper audience etiquette. Then we do selected scenes, about 30 minutes worth, of the show. Like movie previews I choose the scenes that are most exciting or funny & end it with a cliffhanger, telling the audience if they want to find out what happens they need to come see the show.  It really boosts our student attendance & gets the whole school talking about the show. 

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 12.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-23-2015 03:09

Krista,

I also require students in the drama classes to attend a live theater performance, however it can be at any high school, college, community or professional theater.  I have to offer free opportunities for students to see a production (as per school district rules).  I encourage the students to see the school productions by selling the opening night tickets at a reduced price, giving a $1 discount with ASB card, the first 50 audience members get a ticket for a free cookie/snack at intermission -this is to encourage students to get to the theater early.  I sell my tickets online so that they can pick out their seats and at the student store.

For students who are not able to buy a ticket, they are given the opportunity to usher.  They have to write a review of the show and this is 100 points.  I will also try to procure complimentary tickets to area theaters for students. 

We do a lot of promotional work for the productions with posters for each classroom and study guides for teachers for each show to encourage them to talk about the show with their classes or offer extra credit.

I also offer 2 complimentary tickets to the faculty and staff.  Some of the faculty will ask for their tickets and then pay for extras for their families.  On the day of the show, we again remind the faculty by putting a treat in their mailboxes (based on the theme of the show--Legally Blonde we had cookies with pink frosting).  The faculty can be a big help with promoting the show--keeping them happy will help and they look forward to what the next treat will be!

I also have the students who are in the productions send an email or note to their intermediate and grade school teachers to let them know they are in a production and invite them to attend.  Many come to see their former students and the kids love to see them too.

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 13.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-23-2015 13:44

In my read, we are talking about two separate issues, selling tickets and requiring kids to see the show.

I require kids to get Thespian points, not see the productions.  That means that they can get a half point for reviewing either a school show or some other production.  However, it also allows them to get the points by working on a show, assisting in a theatre festival (even when not performing), or taking after school workshops.  Most students opt to work the box office, usher, and work concessions.  That way, I staff the show and get the kids to watch it.  Because of the variety of ways to get points, administration is happy, but I also get more people in seats.

As far as ticket sales go, my students agree to buy ten tickets at a reduced price.  Many of the cast members pass this savings on to their families and friends.  However, I include the fact that cast members have reduced price tickets sales in all publicity.  Students typically have no problem selling them.  If they do, the other cast members usually help them out.  If students want more at the reduced price, we provide them.  My tech director and I have not made designers and crew purchase tickets because the student population has a harder time finding them and their families do not always understand the work that they do on the shows.  However, if I worked in a more affluent neighborhood, I might make a different decision.  I know this is not a particularly innovative approach, but one that has seen audiences steadily increase since I instituted it a year ago.

Joshua Brady
    Menifee CA

• 14.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-24-2015 00:11

I require every student taking a theatre class to see one live performance of a play or musical each course and complete a live performance critique.  We are not allowed in my district to force students to pay for anything, so we offer an open final dress at 4:00 p.m.--school ends at 3:30--on the day before the show opens.  Students with financial or transportation problems can just stay after school and arrange for just a ride home.  The open dress is open to anyone, so some teachers come as well.  We get great word of mouth around the school on opening day from the folks who attended the dress rehearsal, and my actors get home early for a night's rest before the run.

I also offer students in classes the opportunity to serve as ushers.

I share my live performance critique with teachers and ask them to use it if they give extra credit for attending, rather than just asking for a program.

The most successful thing we have done to get ticket sales from the community is to start a Facebook page and offer an online link on our school's web site to purchase tickets with a credit card.  Our bookkeeper sets up the link for us.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 15.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-24-2015 07:05

I hope you are paying royalties for the open final dress. Any performance with an audience requires a royalty payment.

I hate to be the curmudgeon here but I'll keep reminding people of the need to pay royalties. I know it's expensive but it's the price we pay to make sure the art is available to us.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 16.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-25-2015 21:10

Thanks John, I was trying to think of a delicate way of mentioning the royalty payment, too.

Previews, final dresses - any performance with an audience of people not associated with the production is royalty-bearing. Even during school hours. (Although personally I wouldn't go so far as to say the same re: teaser scenes. I'd personally lump that in with 'promotion' since - if there was a budget for it I'd assume you'd create a traditional video commercial.)

Since there is no hard ticket price involved, the good news is that many licensing houses have a minimum royalty rate for such occasions. This is the same rate that a church or other types of groups that - for whatever reason - do/can not charge admission to their productions.

Of course, I'm sure that there are also many musicals that follow the play model and have one rate of royalty for amateurs regardless of ticket prices. But I don't think that's the usual case at the Big 6 (TRW, MTI, R&H, French, Tams, Dramatists).

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 17.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-26-2015 08:37

Thank you all for your responses. Wonderful ideas, and I now know what I can do differently this year!

Krista Wachob
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    King College Prep
    Chicago IL

• 18.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-27-2015 07:28

Good morning,

Like you I have medium sized audiences that are really still mainly the parents and friends of students in our productions. Since making our season bigger last year, we have started to increase audience size a little. As several of our productions are class productions, I struggle a little bit with parents who complain (and it's only one or two) that they have to pay to see little Johnny performing. Usually this is taken care of by explaining that theatre costs beaucoup's money to produce, and that the school does not provide us with a budget, and we are happy enough if we break even.

This year I am experimenting with offering a season ticket, which will allow entry to all 13 of our shows (2 Shakespeare, 4 one act plays, The Crucible, Evita, Shrek, and four Improv shows). I'm pricing it at $49 and marketing it as more of a fundraiser for our program that has the fringe benefit of free entry to all our shows.

Otherwise, ticket sales remain a tricky path to navigate, but I have gotten some great ideas from this thread! Thanks, folks! 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 19.  RE: What works for you with ticket sales?

Posted 08-27-2015 08:39

Put the parents who complain about paying for tickets in charge of fund-raising. And show them the budget!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY