Open Forum

View Only

Appropriate Musicals

• 1.  Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-20-2019 16:02
    I know there was recently a thread of appropriate plays for Catholic Schools, I’m in the same position and need ideas for Musicals. And on top of that I only have about 17 students and only 4 males :(
    I do have a senior male who is outstanding, so I’d like to showcase him. Ideas?? Thanks so much

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 2.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 07:18
    The first thing that comes to mind is GEORGE M about the life of George M. Cohan. You need one great guy to be George and there are only two other "main" male roles (George's father and Sam the producer). You could do most of the big numbers with George and a chorus of girls. I'm not sure how it will sound with only female voices but it's worth checking out, I think.

------------------------------
    Daniel Doerger
    EdTA Membership Outreach Manager
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 08:03
    My fair lady is a wonderful choice all you need is Professor Higgins colonel Pickering Mr. Doolittle and Freddy hill for boys.

Ashley Richards
    Longwood FL

• 4.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 08:59
    Little Women!

• 5.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-22-2019 07:53
    LIttle Women is a great musical but you need at least two STRONG males who each sing multiple solos or duets. All three of the men sing solos but the 3rd can be done with someone who can at least sing in character.

Brian Lovejoy
    Sunrise FL

• 6.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 11:16
    This may have been mentioned before, and I missed it, but have you thought about the musical "Godspell?"  It's based on the Gospel of Luke,  and could be done with the group you have.  A good showcase role is the role of John.  He actually fulfills several other roles as well.  It's a great show, works in a small space and with a small combo or piano.  It worked very well for us, in a 99 seat venue.

Best,

Mack

Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    GUSD
    Glendale CA

• 7.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 11:24
    Honk!
    R&H Cinderella
    Peter Pan
    Matilda
    Newsies

• 8.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-22-2019 11:46
    Believe it or not, we had a parent complaint over the language in Newsies.  Not one of our parents, but a parent of a child at a local elementary school in our district.  It went directly to our superintendent, and then to my principal and resulted in a demand to change the language (which is very minimal) mid-run.  ( We didn't--we posted a warning) We have been dealing with issues surrounding this ever since--two months now.  It's a wonderful show with a worthwhile and timely message.  It's in fact quite wholesome in so many ways.  (We even had two elementary school kids in the cast!)  But I did want to caution you on this so you can tackle that question from the beginning.  

On a side note, we are a rural and fairly conservative district.  We have done Les Mis, Hairspray, Grease, Footloose, Rock of Ages 101, and even some more on the edge peices in our non-musical program.  The only other shows we have received complaints about were Oklahoma for language! ("I'll be damned if I ain't just as good") and Almost Maine for homosexual content and premarital sex (the final scene).  Both of those complaints were handled very well by our previous administration and our choices were backed up.  This time it has been a little more difficult.  

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Drama and English Teacher
    Theatre Program Director
    VHSL One-Act & Forensics Coach

• 9.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-23-2019 17:25

I totally believe it.  We cannot do any of the shows you were able to do.  My district is very conservative.  I blame Disney and the Newises writers for not seeing that the language could be a problem and the bulk of people producing the show would be high school theatres.  They should know that the D-word is not acceptable in a lot of schools and not include it in the script.  And high school versions of certain shows are still not a version many high schools can do.

Secondly,  there will always be someone who complains about something.  That's sort of built into the whole experience.  You can't please all of the people, all of the time. 

Continued success with your programs and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 10.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-23-2019 22:33
    I do wonder if you’ve appealed to the licensor to let you drop the words. I too am in your situation and have never had a company told me I cannot do it when I’ve explained our school and community culture.

• 11.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 11:29
    Have you looked at some of the Broadway Jr. collections? I have been at my conservative Catholic school for 10 years and we are small so I have done two JR productions at times when I was struggling with numbers or needed to have something a bit simpler. Some of the JR cuts are really good. I would look into Xanadu, Lion King or Once On This Island. We did Lion King this year and it was a hit!

Anna Boedigheimer
    Drama Teacher
    Salem OR

• 12.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 12:42
    What about Fiddler on the Roof?  There is a junior version too if you are interested.  
    Tevya (I think I spelled that right) is a wonderful role to showcase a male.  Plus it is a beautiful story.  It makes me cry every time.  

Sent from my iPad

• 13.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 12:46
    Oh - and what about Shrek the Musical?  Shrek would be great for him.  I just did Shrek Jr. with about 23 kids and only 4 boys as well.  Many kids had to play multiple roles (except Fiona, Donkey, Shrek & Lord Farquaad) but we managed it, and the audience loved it.  

Sent from my iPad

• 14.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-22-2019 07:57
    Fiddler needs at least 5 men who sing plus a singing chorus. Its a large scale musical. Also Tevye pretty much carries the show.

I suggest:
    Honk
    A year with Frog and Toad
    Schoolhouse Rock'Alice in Wonderland
    Most of these contain fantasy or animal characters that can be played by girls (pants roles) believably

Brian Lovejoy
    Sunrise FL

• 15.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 14:55
    Maybe WIlly Wonka? I think you could do it with just 4 boys.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 16.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-21-2019 17:42
    Thank you all so much for all of these fantastic suggestions! It is so nice to have a team of knowledgeable people to help out. I will spend the next month perusing these ideas and hopefully find the right fit

Karin Neal
    Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 17.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-23-2019 09:44
    Alexandar and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.  Small musical, male lead, ensemble acting.  Lots of fun

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 18.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-26-2019 19:36
    I think these are some good suggestions, and I second those who say it doesn't hurt to ask the licensing company if you can make some changes to any problematic language. My musical "Sympathy Jones" is pretty clean already, but sometimes schools contact us about swapping out a few mild swear words or some innuendo, and me and my co-author have always obliged.

Brooke Pierce
    Co-author of the "spy musical" Sympathy Jones
    www.sympathyjones.com

• 19.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-27-2019 08:17
    This looks great! Brooke, can it be produced without intermission or is it a full two-act production?  I ask because I am always on a quest for shows that run w/o intermission (I am not a fan of breaking the flow). 
    --
    Susan Sterman-Jones
    Theatre Teacher, Theatre Director
    7th Grade Advisor, GSA Co-leader
    Grace Church School

• 20.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-27-2019 11:41
    Freaky Friday

Emily Griffin
    Drama Instructor and Director
    Des Moines IA

• 21.  RE: Appropriate Musicals

Posted 05-27-2019 15:32
    Thanks, Susan! I can totally understand your interest in intermission-less shows, but this one is really built as two acts. I think you could technically do it without an intermission, but it would be a pretty long sit for the audience (it usually goes at least two hours).

Brooke Pierce
    Co-author of the "spy musical" Sympathy Jones
    www.sympathyjones.com