Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Acts

Posted 10-08-2021 09:30
    Since one act royalties cost just as a much as a full play, what are some alternatives that you have done when students are directing pieces?
    I hate the thought of hokey scripts, but that seems to be the only thing out there (I need to also keep myself from going too in-depth as an advising director with the student directors; once a teacher always a teacher… so classics are the best either).
    I'd like to stray from student written materials, since we also do a 24 Hour project.
    I'd love some fresh new ideas and approaches to rejuvenate our approach this year.

------------------------------
    Erin Bennett
    Theatre and Director
    Archbishop Hoban High School
    OH

• 2.  RE: One Acts

Posted 10-09-2021 08:58
    Do you have any former students studying theatre? For our night of 10 minute plays, I am using a few royalty free ones, a few from playscripts, and then one that I requested from a former student who has a playwriting class at his college. His is my favorite of all of our shows. He was excited to work on a piece for us, and my students are excited to perform his work!

Lisa Groves
    Thespian Director
    Clinton High School
    Clinton, Illinois

• 3.  RE: One Acts

Posted 10-09-2021 09:12
    From what I've seen, most one-act royalties cost 50-60% of a full-length, (book prices are largely the same, though!) 

I started writing plays for my students precisely because I wasn't impressed with a lot of the material aimed for young people (I thought just about everything was hokey, too!) You might want to check out some of my smaller-cast plays like Anna and August, This Side of Heaven, or Driver's Test - all of which are smaller cast and I promise you, not hokey at all. 

There will be the occasional student who wants to do a classic for a student directed project, but I'm sure that the majority of them are not going to want to do a one-act cutting of Ibsen or Shaw, (and I'm pretty sure the audience doesn't either!). 

Good luck!