Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Torch and pyre effect

Posted 03-05-2018 13:26
    Our school is producing “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” the end of April. Has anyone found a satisfactory way to have a replica of a lit torch on stage and a realistic pyre for Esmeralda?
    We would be interested in any info you could share.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Torch and pyre effect

Posted 03-06-2018 07:48
    ​One of my volunteer dads is an artist and he created the coolest torch!  I believe it is a flashlight of some sort, but it doesn't create a beam of light.  So some sort of battery powered light source.  He mounted it on an actual log and added tulle in red orange and yellow (cut in fire shapes) around the top edge.  The actor clicks it on right before entering the stage.  It looks so amazing!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: Torch and pyre effect

Posted 03-06-2018 09:03
    ​Our sister school just put on this production and they used a GAM torch. It is a real flame that uses fuel pellets and emits very little smoke. It is super safe and looked amazing. When we did Shrek, we found some online that looked pretty good. The link is below.
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powered-Flameless-Torch-Insert/dp/B00B6YS0RE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1520344935&sr=1-2&keywords=fake+torches

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Torch and pyre effect

Posted 03-06-2018 13:12
    We used a tiki torch as a base and fastened twigs and sticks around it.  nestled LED red and orange twinkle "fire fly" lights inside.  Actor controlled it on and off.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH