Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound Program

Posted 10-27-2016 12:54
    We run our sound cues from a laptop (PC).  Do any of you have suggestions for a sound program that has worked for you (and is inexpensive)?  Last year we used SoundByte, but it had glitches often, and this year it doesn't even run.  

Lisa Ronca
    Ballard High School
    Huxley, IA 50124

• 2.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 10-28-2016 09:24
    We use audacity.  My students do a lot with sound design and this program works well for us.

• 3.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 10-31-2016 09:51

I use audacity as well. It is flexible, easy to use and free!!! 

------------------------------
    Maggie Ward
    Timonium MD

• 4.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 10-28-2016 11:34

I use a program called Show Cue Systems.  It does sound cues, along  with video and show control.  You can do surroundsound if you like. You can also control your lights in sync them with the sound cues. It is easy to use and you program it almost like lighting cues. I really like this program.

Jeremy Riggs
    Theatre Teacher
    Blue Valley North High School

• 5.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 10-28-2016 12:17

Q-Lab: Figure 53 | QLab | Live Show Control for Mac OS X

Figure53 remove preview
    Figure 53 | QLab | Live Show Control for Mac OS X
    QLab allows you to design and operate amazing multimedia performances from your Mac OS X computer. A single QLab workspace can control audio, video, MIDI, OSC, and more.
    View this on Figure53 >

James Smith
    Illinois Chapter Director
    Ridgewood High School

• 6.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 10-28-2016 18:45

While I haven't used it extensively for a show, MultiPlay is a free option for the PC. It functions along the same lines as QLab, in the sense that you can create a cue list of Audio files and fades and adjust some different parameters for each file. It also had Midi Control functions as well as some simple video functions (which I have never used). 

One thing to note is that it is no longer supported by the developer, and it was last updated in 2013. I have it on windows 10, and the few features I've used still work, so I don't anticipate any issues.

Mike Ritchey
    Technical Director
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA

• 7.  RE: Sound Program

Posted 11-01-2016 08:39

Qlab is really my top choice. it has so many options, and its not that expensive to purchase. One purchase gets you 3 licenses and if you don't do too many shows you can rent it in its seperate parts. It does audio, video, etc. They do have a educational discount as well if you contact them, and thats on the rentals and purchase. The rentals come down to depending on the situation like 3 dollars a day or something super cheap and they always tack on some extra days depending on the length of your rental. 

You can do everything from live layering, which I find nice because you don't constantly have to go back into something like garageband, redo it, export it again, etc. 

You can sequence, adjust levels, pitch, effects, time, repeats, etc. With video, you can basically do all teh same thing and use it to match your scenery. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI