Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Color Theory

Posted 07-10-2017 20:08
    I am teaching a tech class next year and am looking for a lesson plan on Color Theory that uses M&Ms.....thank you!

Julie Estrada, MEd.
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School Theatre
    1100 West Main Street
    Windsor, CO 80550

• 2.  RE: Color Theory

Posted 07-11-2017 06:39
    I do not have one, but to teach color theory in light, I recommend getting Rosco or Apollo Gel swatch books and providing little flash lights, shining the light through on different colors to see what happens. Your expense should only be the flash lights as they are happy to send the swatch books.

------------------------------
    Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Color Theory

Posted 07-11-2017 08:16
    Hi,

USITT has a publication that has this lesson included, it is Practical Projects for Teaching Lighting Design, Vol, 2
    and can be found at:

Online Store
    Avectra remove preview
    Online Store
    View this on Avectra >

It is $40 for non-members but has other useful lessons as well. Side note, a colleague suggested using Skittles rather than MandM's. The plain M and M's are manufactured in the same environment as the peanut and may pose a risk to students with peanut allergies.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 4.  RE: Color Theory

Posted 07-11-2017 17:00
      |   view attached
    Are you looking for lessons on paint color theory or light color theory?  M&M's would suggest paint?  But, just in case you're also looking for some information on light color theory, I've attached an except from my book that explains about the 'color of light'.  Please let me know if you have any other questions - looks like I'm not too far from you, in Westminster, CO.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Fall Session starts Sept. 11. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot; a step-by-step guide" and several more books on Amazon.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Color of Light Theory.pdf   4.96 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Color Theory

Posted 07-11-2017 17:44
    While I have not taught that lesson, I have taken that lesson in my college stagecraft class.  It is a blast.  My professor had set up fixtures with at least the primary lighting colors (RGB), and put out M&Ms in the dark/without us seeing them.  He turned on one or more colors at a time, and we had to sort them based on what colors we thought they were, and then he would turn on white lights to reveal their true colors.  Needless to say, we were all surprised when we would group things together as looking the same, even when they were different.

This was helpful in understanding how different objects appear when various colors are used on stage and opened up a discussion about using opposite colors, using the same colors in lighting and object, and how our color choices affected the appearance of set pieces, costumes, makeup, props, and skin tone.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR