Open Forum

View Only

New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

• 1.  New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 06-21-2021 12:42
    Hey friends!

Starting this fall I will be teaching theatre at a classical education school (woot woot). It's also a Christian school (*ohhh ahhh*). Basically, my options for shows/plays will be limited and I'm wondering if anyone has taught within the classical education model before and has any advice/ideas/resources for teachers? I'm teaching 5th-12th grade! Thanks so much! 

Warmly, 
    Savannah

------------------------------
    Savannah Hard

• 2.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 06-22-2021 09:17
    Congratulations on your position!  I teach in a public school, but I am surprisingly not far from your situation: we are very small and very conservative. I too have to screen heavily  the shows and materials that I choose.  Lucky for me however, because my students and community's average exposure to performing arts is very limited (mostly my students only know of High School Musical, Grease, and Hamilton, thanks to Disney Plus) plus we had a nonexistent program up until I started working with students, I had no set "expectations" as to the shows that were performed on our stage. I've been pretty fortunate with my cast size and talent lately, that I haven't had to dig too hard the past few years but here is what I have found along my way...and probably where I will return soon after I graduate some large groups.

I started with Pioneer Drama, https://www.pioneerdrama.com/.  Most shows are geared for Elementary and Middle, but I have performed a few of their musicals with high school students, and have found much success. The more mature the kids, the more "mature" the shows can seem. You've got to pick through a bit, but most of the shows are really cute.  I recommend "Headless Horseman" and "The Taming of Katy Lou."

Next, I have used quite a bit of Beat by Beat press' materials. Love their teaching guides, I also have a vocal warmup track set from them that was a game changer for us since I am not a music teacher or piano player!  And their shows look fun too, the music sounds great, but I haven't performed any yet: https://www.bbbpress.com/. 

Next, not sure if you have heard of The Skit Guys or not, but their material can be purchased for monologues and small skits, all Christian based, but really have some range of emotion and topics: https://skitguys.com/. I have used a few of their pieces for monologue competitions and classroom activities. 

Next, I follow Maverick Musicals a bit through email. Their shows have always appealed to me, and are primarily written for "younger audiences and younger performers" which lends much more favorable in the content department.   And that being said, I recommend searching the larger publishers using "young audience" or what not filters in your search! Haven't produced one of Maverick's yet, but I always check out what they have to offer in my search: https://www.maverickmusicals.com/play-category/new-release/

And finally, I came across this site searching hard one day, and I am in love with some of their content, very Christian based, think more church pageant style.  Not sure if I could get away with it in a public system, but it may work for you.  I adore the idea behind their show Not Your Average Joe https://littlebigstuff.com/musicals/, the closest we would ever get to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat anyway! Ha!

Hope this help, also, feel free to reach out if you have other questions.

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville

• 3.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 06-22-2021 09:56
    This was so incredibly helpful! Excited to fully explore all of these resources, thank you!!!

Savannah Hard

• 4.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 06-22-2021 11:28

Dear Savannah,
    Congrats on your new position!! My daughter taught Theatre at a Classically oriented school for one year, and I learned they are very classic literature based! Her HS play that year was Mark Twain's only play called "Is He Dead." It is a farce and very comical! I have also leaned toward classic stories with my Middle schoolers through the years. I would suggest plays like Charlotte's Web, The Secret Garden, Tom Sawyer, The Little Princess, and Little Women. There are all kinds of versions of all these plays, as well as musical versions. Also, become a member of Dramanotebook.com!! That is my all time favorite site with all kinds of scripts of fairy tales and Shakespeare. 

"break a leg!"
    Suzanne "Mama" Craig 

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 5.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 06-22-2021 13:15
    Thanks so much Suzanne! I really appreciate it!

Savannah Hard

• 6.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-07-2021 22:39
    Hi Savannah! I also teach drama K-8 for a classical school and I am looking for play options for the year as well. Please feel free to email me directly at kmcfarland@covenantclassicalschool.org if you want to swap ideas!

Katie McFarland

• 7.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-08-2021 15:33
    You might want to look at PLAYS magazine. You have to join, but once you do you have rights and scripts and everything you'll need. They do a lot of small play options good for elementary and junior high and then they do a lot of classical plays and stories in a shortened form good for class work. I used them for years when I taught middle school.

It's an option for you.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

• 8.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-09-2021 10:41
    Thank you so much Kelly!

Savannah Hard

• 9.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-09-2021 11:02
    Yes! PLAYS magazine is a wonderful source of simple plays, incl edited versions of classic stories.

-Chip

• 10.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-09-2021 07:07
    Hi, Savannah--

I teach PK-8 Drama at a Catholic school (going into my seventh year!) and I routinely confront a complex roster of challenges and opportunities when I select plays for my community.  Without a doubt, my most successful productions have blossomed out of high quality material: while there are many versions of beloved stories ("Little Women," "Anne of Green Gables," etc.) not all literary adaptations are particularly well-structured or well-written.  Because of this, I usually order multiple versions of a title that appeals to my students (I love to give them voice in selecting plays), and I go after the version that has the strongest dramatic structure and most playable dialogue.

I have also had great success with high quality, often very sophisticated pieces that have been written specifically for young audiences.  You may want to explore pieces that have been produced by Seattle Children's Theatre, the Kennedy Center, or the Children's Theatre of Minneapolis.  There are some excellent scripts anthologized by SCT as "Plays for Young Audiences."
    https://www.hitplays.com/default.aspx?pg=sd&st=SEATTLE+CHILDREN%27S+THEATRE%3A+SIX+PLAYS+FOR+YOUNG+AUDIENCES

And how wonderful to HAVE to do Shakespeare or Moliere!  I am very fond of Lazy Bee Scripts for their abridged versions of Shakespeare plays. (The scripts maintain the original language.) https://www.lazybeescripts.co.uk/

Musicals can be more challenging for us, but I do want to recommend the small but intriguing TYA collection available through MTI.  https://www.mtishows.com/theatre-for-young-audiences-tya

Your position sounds fascinating!  I hope you have a wonderful year!

Julie

Julie Olsen
    Drama Teacher/Theatre Director
    Assumption-St. Bridget School

• 11.  RE: New drama teacher for a Classical Education School! (help)

Posted 08-09-2021 10:41
    This was so helpful, thanks Julie!

Savannah Hard