Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a play

Posted 03-21-2017 12:34
    I am looking for a play for my Advanced Drama Class to tackle this semester and hoping you all can help me.  I had decided on one, and then had a student expelled, which changed my breakdown.  

I am looking for something for 5 men, 5 women (although reasonable and allowable cross-gender casting is fine).  An extra or two or actors playing more than one role would also be okay (I can pull in some club kids for very minor roles).  Of those, I have three really strong senior men and a strong underclassman male, as well as two excellent senior women and two very strong junior women.  

I have been primarily looking at dramas and have both "The Diviners" and "These Shining Lives" under consideration right now, but I'm not totally sold on either one for various reasons. Ideally I want something written post 1950 (although that's flexible), with strong acting roles for men and women, and something that avoids trite "teenage play" themes.  I do not want Shakespeare or anything in verse for this group, but would consider the right classic play otherwise.  (I'm also looking at "The Seagull"...)

In recent years with this sort of group I have done "Anatomy of Grey", "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", "Nora's Lost", "Black Comedy, "Fame" (play version), "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Picnic", "See How they run", "Harvey", "Our Town", "All  I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten", and "It's a Wonderful Life".  This fall we did "The Kentucky Cycle: Fire in the Hole" as our one-act.  This particular group of actors is quite strong and could probably handle just about anything.  I have several seniors and they have done such a great job all four years.  I'd really like to find something that has good featured parts for all of them.  

Any suggestions?  I need to find something fairly quickly and want it to be something that stands out.  Thank you!

------------------------------
    Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 2.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-21-2017 13:26
    There is a great adaptation of Diary of Anne Frank by Wendy Kesselman. It's a 5 and 5

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-22-2017 10:52
    I can second the recommendation of The Diary of Anne Frank by Wendy Kesselman. We just staged that as our Winter Play, and did historical tie-ins and promotions with this being the 75th anniversary year of the Franks going into hiding. (The 75th anniversary of their discovery and arrest won't be until 2019.) There is humor in this adaptation, but the final monologue by Otto Frank never failed to touch our audiences. Tears were shed at performances, and by cast members at rehearsal as we expanded on the honor they had to portray these very real people.

Steven Pruitt
    Westview Jr/Sr High School
    Topeka IN

• 4.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-23-2017 07:53
    Anyone looking to perform The Diary of Anne Frank should also consider "And Then They Came for Me: Remembering the World of Anne Frank" by James Still.  Not looking to diminish the Diary, but having directed this play this past fall all I can say it's an incredible experience for director and students.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 5.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-22-2017 09:56
    Almost, Maine has flexible casting! I'm doing that one now with my kids. 

Also, look into some murder mysteries. Those have flexible casting too. 

Fredreka Irvine
    Teacher of Theater Arts
    Carlsbad CA

• 6.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-22-2017 10:27
    Almost Maine should have been on my list as I've done it already, but thanks!  It's such a good play.  

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 7.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-23-2017 21:25
    Do you specifically want a full-length or are one-acts okay?

For <g class="gr_ gr_350 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="350" data-gr-id="350">full-lengths</g> a few shows come to mind...
    "The Farnsworth Invention" has many great roles, and there are opportunities for doubling if you want to explore that with your acting class and challenge them in that capacity
    "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Neil Bartlett
    "Eurydice" by Sarah Ruhl has opportunity for a chorus of stones which is where you can fit in 3 additional women (this one would be the heaviest drama out of the three)

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 8.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-24-2017 09:06
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm specifically looking for a full-length and for a play to produce.  It is my class that produces and acts in the play, but it is done for the public.  

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 9.  RE: Looking for a play

Posted 03-23-2017 22:44
    Are you looking for something to produce or to work on in class?

If it's to work on in class, Distracted by Lisa Loomer might work, though it has some r-rated language. It deals with a mother of a ADHD child and her quest to find the best treatment for him. Many of my students really connected to the story. Due to the language, it might not be the best choice to produce, unless you receive permission to change some of the swear words.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/