Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  expanding the cast of 39 Steps

Posted 06-27-2016 16:44

To those of you who have done this show and expanded the cast:

Exactly how did you break down the characters?  Any important considerations that you'd like to pass along to me?

------------------------------
    Cindy Baker
    Larkspur CO

• 2.  RE: expanding the cast of 39 Steps

Posted 06-28-2016 06:56

This is how we broke down the characters (with gender flexibility) for casting purposes:

Richard Hannay……………………………………..       M                                

Annabelle Schmidt ………………………………...        F

Chairman McQuarrie/ Radio Announcer /Thug 1…  F                                             

Clown 2/Thug 2…………………………………...           F                                                         

Compere…………………………………..................        F                                             

Mrs. Memory…………………………………...........        F                                                         

Milk Woman / Clown 1 ………………………..….          F                                             

Mrs. Higgins & Palladium Announcer……….…         F         

Chief Inspector Albright/ Salesman 1…………           M                    

Salesman 2 ………………………………………...          F

Pamela Edwards…………………………………....        F                                                         

Crofter/Sheriff…………………………………..........       M                                                        

Margaret       ………………………………………….       F                     

Mrs. Jordan/Paper girl      …………………………        F                     

Professor Jordan/ Train Porter…………………          M                    

Policeman 1…………………………………………         M        

Mrs. Dunwoody / Police(wo)man 2………………        F                                 

Mrs. McGarrigle/ Passenger 1…………………….        F                                                         

Mr. McGarrigle / Inspector/ Passenger 2 ………         M                                            

Clown 3/ Pilot 1……………………………………....       F                                                   

Clown 4/ Pilot 2……………………………………....       F    

The ensemble of this show will also play walk–on roles, dancers, train passengers, etc.

Some of the roles we cast as female could certainly be male.

Hope this helps. We had a great time with the show and audiences loved it! Best of luck!

Dawn DeMaio

• 3.  RE: expanding the cast of 39 Steps

Posted 06-28-2016 09:40

I did the show a few years ago with a cast of 11 - 6 men, 4 women & a pianist who played all the music live on an upright directly in front of the stage, did some of the sound effects like the train whistle and had a several interactive bits with the cast, embracing a "show with in a show" concept. I didn't go into auditions with any specific plan in terms of numbers or break down, other than to keep the cast on the smaller side, I let the auditions dictate those.

After auditions I went through the script and tried to logically brake down all the parts based on give each of the nine at least one "bigger" character to play and then, aside from the actress who played Pamela (I think she only played 2 or 3 additional bits in the first act), divide the rest of the show up relatively equally. I turned Mr Memory's assistant into a "showgirl" for the 4th bigger female part which worked really well, especially for the scene at the end of the play, but kept all the rest of the characters their original genders regardless of who played them. The only thing I "added" to the show, besides the pianist, was in the train scene. When we blocked the scene I had used 8 of the 10 actors, I kept the changing hats bit between the salesman/old lady & paperboy/constable. The cast said they really wanted at least one scene that they were all in and asked if I could include the other two actors on the train. I put the two as passengers in the compartment between the salesmen & Pamela, and it worked beautifully - sometimes the kids really do know best.

If you're interested in any more specific details, let me know.

Melissa Purdy
    Westminster High School
    Westminster MD

• 4.  RE: expanding the cast of 39 Steps

Posted 06-28-2016 10:27

Here's my breakdown from a couple years ago.  It worked well.  Isn't necessarily "equal" division as I divided after auditions to planned it to my actors' strengths.

Actor 1 Actor 2 Actor 3 Actor 4 Actor 5 Actor 6       Actress 1 Actress 2 Actress 3
    Hannay Memory Ques 1 Ques 2 Compere Ques 3       Anabella Pamela Margaret
      Sales 1 Sales 2 Sheriff Mrs H. Milkman       Mrs. Jordan    
      Crofter Heavy 1 Prof Jordan Dunw Heavy 2            
      Pilot/VO Thug 1 Police 1 Porter Thug 2            
      Mrs. M Inspector McQuarrie Paper B Police 2            
        Pilot 2   Mr. M              
    Rob Grumich
    Director of Drama, Chaminade College Prep
    St. Louis MO