Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  I need advice...

Posted 12-18-2015 19:50

I work at a small town high school.  When I started at the high school, there was barely a drama club.  For the past few years (and even when I went to that high school), teachers were forced to teach drama no one cared for it.  A couple of years before I was hired, the choir teacher took over the club and began developing decent plays.  I was hired as an English teacher.  I majored in theatre, but I minored in English because I knew getting a theatre job in my area would prove difficult at times.  I've slowly taken over the drama club and have built it up.  We have a brand new theater (waited 10 years for it), this is our 3rd year of being a Thespian troupe, and we are growing.  We are still relatively small (60 out of 1,200) students and everything has been going great until.....

We decided to begin doing musicals every two years.  The choir teacher who did run the club and I collaborate on the musical.  We had a hard time choosing a musical as we do not have a single strong male singer.  We chose to do The Marvelous Wonderettes.  It has only 4 roles, but we decided to add an ensemble to bring in more students and add some fun to some of the songs.  19 total students auditioned.  We cast the 4 main roles along with 10 ensemble members.  Our trouble came when we decided to cast a student who has never been involved in drama.  She is a senior and has never auditioned before.  She was a wonderful singer and had a great audition.  When I cast her over our vice president (who has been in nearly every production when she wasn't involved with the dance team), everything fell to pieces.  We placed her in the ensemble and presented her with the opportunity to choreograph the show (she is wanting to open up her own dance student - I thought it was right up her ally).  We broke her heart, but it was a decision we felt was best for the show.  The other 3 students cast were all officers...she was the only officer not cast, and she feels slighted.  

I know I'm not in the wrong, but I care too dearly for my students.  She is upset with us, her family is upset with us, and even some drama members are upset with us over the fact we cast a new student versus one who has been heavily involved with our troupe.  How should I move forward with this?

• 2.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 12-18-2015 21:12

Hello Trevor,

I can't answer your question, but I can refer you to previous discussion here on the Discussion Board; as you might guess this topic is volatile.

Others will chime in with advice/opinion specific to your circumstances. In the meantime, you might look to these threads:

Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Cast List Dissappointment

Responding to a parent email . . .

Show politics

Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

audition procedures and casting policies

Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Casting Regret

------------------------------
    Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 12-19-2015 10:57

Trevor,

You are in good company! All of us have run into a similar situation (repeatedly). By casting the best student for the role, you have established an important president, one that will actually make your life easier in the future, as student will know that you do not cast your "favorites" and everyone who auditions, even the officers, have to nail the audition to get the role. Student will have work hard and prepare for the auditions to get the parts - that's not a bad lesson to learn. This can be a teachable moment. A few lessons to consider: 

Theatre programs encourage students to learn to prepare for auditions and part of that is to learn how to accepted disappointment and rejection with grace and humility. Real world application - college acceptance/job interviews/competition losses/job promotions. There will always be moments in life where there will be a winner and a loser, learning how to deal with that loses and pick yourself up and move in a positive forward direction is invaluable. AND while the focus is mostly on the emotions of the student who didn't get the role, the possibility is high that they are not being very sensitive to the emotions for the student who did get the part.

Theatre programs provide opportunities to understand the quality of art - art is not valued because we think the person who created it is nice, but because the product is well constructed, aesthetically pleasing, appeals to the senses, represents the ideas in a way that can be accepted and understood.

Theatre programs offer students the opportunities to view projects from the big picture as opposed to from the individual perspective. "No small parts, only small actors" lesson. Working together collaboratively and cooperatively helps students to set goals that focuses on the whole v. the single. That is perhaps one of the hardest things to teach a teenager, however it is one of the most valued attributes colleges/employers/communities seek. 

There are dozens of ways you can use this as a teachable moment. My one warning is do not wait until the situation divides the kids. They will talk about this, they will pick sides, they will focus on the most negative and dramatic aspects. It is easier to focus on the negative than on the positive. Address the concerns in an upfront and honest way. Don't let the kids have all the control of the conversation around the issues. Help them to process the situation, and use this opportunity to set the future tone of your program. What are the best lessons students can learn from this and how can you spin it to help build a quality theatre program?

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 4.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 01-06-2016 08:45

What I started, MANY years ago, that has saved me from ALL the drama is "blind" auditions. I "interview" candidates for stage manager prior to auditions. The stage manager then organizes auditions. Each student gets a "number". The number is placed on their audition sheet. They then read and sing for me and I have my back to them. I literally do not know which student is auditioning. This reduces THEIR stress and allows students who have never auditioned a sense of comfort. It also ensures that "favorites" aren't always cast.  The audition packet has "sides" for them to prepare and they get to sing 16 bars from a song of their choice. I look for volume, expression, and ability to take direction. I usually ask them to read a side or character they did not prepare.  After auditions, we post a list of numbers for call backs. The ONLY time I had an issue was when I accidentally called a boy who had an unchanged voice back for female roles. I explained it must have  been an error and moved him to the male call backs.  At call backs I do look at them (and ask them to prepare a solo from the show if it's a musical). I have them read in groups and look for chemistry.

I've always practiced non traditional casting and refuse to ever "Hollywood" cast a show. My students know height, weight, age and race are not factors. I recently had a brilliant transgender student who was cast as the gender with which he identified. Since the role was not a romantic character, there was no issue. 

Some folks may be concerned about facial expressions, etc.  Let me promise you that it works. I had a student teacher do a "control' for me one year. She watched them while I had my back to them. In EVERY case we agreed on casting.  

For dance auditions they tape a number to their chest and the choreographer and I watch them. We also do a "learn the dance before auditions" meeting

Douglas Erwin
    Ferguson, MO

• 5.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 12-19-2015 13:15

Two good responses so far! Now, for a slightly different take on the subject...

What you're describing is typical in all walks of life, not just in high school theatre. However, in my own experience, a lot of (if not all) the bad feelings can be tracked back to people making assumptions: "I'm this, therefore I should get that," or "this is the way it's always been, so that's how it goes." The only way I've found to minimize this ('cuz it'll never go away) is to be up front about the rules and make sure everyone hears them the same way.

Casting in the real world is not about who's "in." It's about who will be the best for the show, and, in many professional cases, who will bring in the most money. A director has to cast not only the person he or she thinks will work better in the role, but also who will be the best fit in the story; i.e., if Maria and the Captain don't have any chemistry, the show doesn't work. 

These considerations, and many more, are very important in casting a show, BUT they are not always understood by the students or their parents, mostly because they may have never heard of them before.

I totally agree that this could be a great learning experience for all of you, and my suggestion would be to develop some "rules" or "guidelines" for future auditions and to publish them so everyone can see them the same way. Maybe it's an introduction booklet to the drama program, or maybe it's in the audition packet, or maybe you sneak it into the forms that parents have to sign (if any), or something similar. Just make sure everyone is on the same page up front. Or you can sugarcoat the pill and make it a very upbeat "welcome packet" to the drama program.

It's just a matter of putting the rules on the table before the game starts, and not after it's already started.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE:I need advice...

Posted 12-26-2015 21:59
    I took over the musical 9 years ago. At that time auditions were closed and the director played favorites. When I came in I told the kids that talent is the most important, nothing else. It's not about seniority, it's about who is the best for the part. I think that is the most fair way to do it.

Every year for every show I have he kids and heir parents sign a contract. Basically a list of our rules but there is also a part in there about how I cast and why. I also sit my 10 person executive board down with their own contracts and explain to them that being on the board is a privilege that has nothing to do with getting roles.

At auditions and callbacks I remind everyone about how roles are chosen. So I am very honest with the students and they get it.

This year we are doing 9 to 5 and our male lead who is Hart is being played by a sophomore who did not audition for our musical last year. Did the kids complain a bit, sure. But I know he is the best and I stand by my own values.

Good luck!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 12-29-2015 20:31

Trust that many folk have been where you are, and that it is never easy when kids are disappointed. It makes one go through a terrible bout of second guessing, but ultimately you have to trust your gut. Casting, as many have shared, is tricky and difficult, and at the high school level, is as much about pragmatism as it is about talent. 

We find that doing a pre-audition meeting with everyone and reading a set piece of text before the auditions begin works very well in minimizing some of the upset. Teenagers are still pretty volatile and emotional, it's the stage of life, which is not to say there aren't a lot of mature and humble teens who can understand what you're doing and why this person is cast here and why someone else wasn't. By the end of the production, they won't be able to imagine anyone else in the role. 

Be aware that sometimes these animosities won't come out for a couple of weeks, as well. I double cast most of my productions, for safety net reasons mainly but also because more students get a chance to perform the 'main' role, so called. It takes a lot of continuous education of your students to emphasize that there are no small parts, that everybody is important, everybody supports one another, yadda yadda blah blah etc. but you get the idea. Tackling the potential problem before, during and after is a tactic that has served me well, and I picked it up from several much wiser folk than myself in this community. Learn from this experience, and apply the excellent suggestions for next time. Right now, ride it out, don't waffle, and be as loving and supportive as you can. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 12-30-2015 11:21

you got some great advice from some folks already:  Here's some of my favs:

its about your expectations... not their suppositions!  

Don't let them "own" the conversation abt casting

I would add a few things...

#1 I never allow them to thank me for roles, I make a point of correcting them(sometimes in front of others...) , "You earned it - I don't hand these out!" (no favorites)

#2  Remind her, and all the kids, that you care for them as good people and appreciate all their hared work!

#3 Keep building your program, Sounds like things have come a long ways!  Congrats!!!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 9.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 01-04-2016 13:51

Lots of great comments. You guys all rock! :)

I actually ran into a similar situation at the end of the last semester (and I've been at my school for 8 years!). We did a big musical in fall so I decided it was time for an intimate cast again. Including the 2 swings (1 male and 1 female) the cast has 11 kids in it. I had over 70 kids audition so you can imagine the numbers of tears that were spilled when that list went up. *sigh* For the most part the disappointed kids were reasonable about their disappointment. I have a standing policy, long established, that after auditions are over you are welcome to come ask me for individual notes on why you weren't cast or why you received the part you did. I provide specific examples so the kids can improve on future auditions. The only rule I have about this is that I will not discuss ANYTHING until the casting process is complete and I will only discuss that child's individual audition. 

When I cast my spring show the 2 name parts ended up going to sophomores. They were simply the best fit in the cast and, like it or not, physical appearance does have an effect on a production. I specify at the beginning of every cattle call that I will be casting the best CAST for the production and that sometimes means that the "best" actor doesn't get cast because (s)he doesn't fit as well in the overall cast. It happens. In fact, for the first time in a very long time, only one of my ITS officers ended up cast. It's heartbreaking for them to know that they won't finish their senior year with a main stage performance but it happens. I think it's very important that they learn that hard work (if applicable) and desire isn't necessarily going to be enough to get you what you want... especially if you are a senior and getting ready to leave high school. 

It's important to remember that no one is "owed" anything. They try, hope, and either are cast or not as you determine what will create the best production for your school. Trust yourself.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: I need advice...

Posted 01-05-2016 14:04

Something else you can do is remind the students that, if they're really serious about acting, there are other opportunities such as community theatres and possibly acting workshops. Some areas, like here around San Francisco, have lots and lots of community theatres which do several shows a year and often need younger actors. Getting out there and seeing how other companies cast their shows, and do things, can go a long way towards a reality check.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net