Open Forum

View Only

Alternate to spray foam?

• 1.  Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 08:27

​Good Morning everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have used an alternative to can spray foam for creating/texturing set. 
    We are using quite a bit this year to help texture things. They are @ $5 a can and they do no go very far. ​
    Just looking for other cost effective ideas. 

Thanks!

--
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School
    Speech and Theatre

• 2.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 08:30
    Whew! That stuff is toxic!
    What kind of texturing are you needing? Have you tried wall spackle or ceiling texturing material? 

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 10:01
    We are creating large Rocks for Ariels Grotto and Skuttle's perch. 
    Spraying foam around boxes and molded crab cages and crates. (To get big bumps)

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 11:34
      |   view attached
    Large pieces of corrugated cardboard and masking tape can produce great rocks.  I get large pieces of cardboard from Lowe's. It comes in refrigerator boxes. You want the one layer cardboard, not the more durable two layer.
    Start by bending the cardboard corner to corner, on the diagonal. Then repeat from the other corner. Then turn it over and do it all over again. This should give you a nice flexible piece of cardboard. Start bending it and taping it into rock configurations, don't spare the masking tape! Buy lots!!  When you have a nice shape and the surface is solid, paint it black, then dry brush with gray. Then take a sea sponge and sponge it with two shades of gray, very lightly. Then spatter with two shades of gray, looking for the places where it should have more shade. If you want, cut out a stencil and use spackle to create lichens. Practice does make perfect but it's a great classroom project and it can make some very realistic rocks. It also helps if you have some high-resolution photos of the rocks you want to reproduce so the student have a visual image to reproduce. 

I've attached a photo of one that is in the process. It hasn't been spattered yet.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 13:31
    That is awesome! Thanks! 

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 6.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-11-2017 08:01
    I use 8x4 sheets of styrofoam and various tools. You can use a dremel tool/hot knife to get the shape and then water and a heat gun and such to get the texture. There are lots of videos online... it's kindof hard to explain how to do it without demonstrating it. I have made bricks, rocks, cinderblocks with this technique. 

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD

• 7.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-11-2017 10:12
    Anytime you use plastics, foam, etc. and you cut, saw, or heat cut it, you produce noxious gasses. I have tried to rid my program of harmful foams & plastics. You may be doing long-term harm on your students. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-14-2017 23:31
    The drama teacher, Dana Milne, and I have just completed a marathon session of turning 55 sheets of styrofoam into a cement block wall, plus numerous moveable pieces for Disney's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, which opens in less than 2 weeks..  And yes, while this stuff is great for the above, heating it produces dangerous and toxic fumes - including, from what I've read, small amounts of carbon monoxide.  Thus, she and I, since we own respirators, did all of the "burning" ourselves.  We didn't allow any students in the theatre the day we did this operation.  And if we see the need to do any touch-ups etc., we clear the place out until the next day.  I guess we're lucky in that the school has a giant fan (6 ft. in diameter) that helps greatly to get rid of the fumes.  It's great stuff, but don't take any chances with it. 

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant & Co-sponsor
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 9.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-10-2017 18:34
    A great source for info on making faux rocks is model railroad books and magazines. These guys do it all the time and have developed some really good techniques. You may want to check MicroMark, at www.micromark.com    They have it all.

BTW, I second the idea of having the students look at photos of real rocks, or even real ones if possible. Real rocks don't always look like we think they do, especially in the coloration.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 10.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-15-2017 04:55
    We used the recycled attic "fiberglass" insulation which is just mostly paper and other safe recycled material and wallpaper paste that was diluted to create this cave.  You get a big bundle of the insulation for about $11 at Lowes. After you mix it with the paste you can spread it across cardboard and mold it in to shapes. 

Allen Price
    California MD

• 11.  RE: Alternate to spray foam?

Posted 03-15-2017 12:31
    That is VERY cool looking!
    Once the paste is combined it stays pretty light? It Was paintable it seems....

Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA