Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Replacing an Officer

Posted 11-19-2019 20:28
    Greetings,

My vice president has just resigned.  This came after some drama where she had been in charge of arranging the induction ceremony and ended up dropping the ball.  This was the culmination of several conflicts where she had simply taken on too many activities and wasn't prioritizing Thespian activities. 

The main question is how to elect a new VP. I believe that some other officers may also want to have a shot at the position.  We don't have any guidelines in the constitution about a mid-year officer replacement, so I have to invent something. This is my first year taking over the troupe after a couple of challenging years with someone filling in while the previous troupe director was absent with an illness.  The interim director held elections by having the senior Thespians pick the officers during a meeting and then vote and announce them.  I'd prefer to start a more formal application process for next year.

My thought is this:  Create an application form and say that anyone who wants to apply for the position has to fill one out.  Allow anyone who has been an active member for a year apply, even if they currently hold another officer position.  At the next meeting, vote for the new VP.  If a current officer wins the election for VP, then immediately I will open their position.  Anyone applying for the position will announce their intentions and be elected right then.

Thoughts?  Better suggestions?  I feel like I'm making this up as I go along here, so any advice would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Chad Gifford
    Troupe 791
    Director of Theatre
    Minot ND

• 2.  RE: Replacing an Officer

Posted 11-20-2019 07:59
    Hey Chad,

That is a bummer for your VP. I know that each troupe is different. With ours, those thespians that are interested in an office fill out an application and have interviews with the program director and technical director. They select the officers. For the at large members, they are voted by the delegation.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Replacing an Officer

Posted 11-21-2019 07:24

Another option would be to hold the election for a president-elect. The student would take on the role of president for the 2020-2021 school year but would step in to the Vice President role now. This would allow them to shadow and have some continuity between years and fill your empty spot. 

we're actually holding elections for all of our 2020-2021 officers in December so they can observe and participate this spring and be better trained for the fall

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE