Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-25-2016 23:53

We open Arsenic and Old Lace this Friday and I'm struggling with the decision as to the best placement of our intermission.  Our times will tighten over the next two days, but at the moment Act 1 (34 pg) is running 50 minutes, Act 2 (39 pg) is running 40 min, Act 3 (25 pg) is running 35 minutes.  I frequently anticipate about 1 minute per page, but that's probably my film background talking, it doesn't seem to always hold true for theatre.

What have you done for intermission with this play. What was your approximate length ?  Do you ever advocate for two intermissions?

Any advice is welcome.

Tisha

------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 2.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-26-2016 06:40

Hi,

I've directed this play twice and used both intermissions in the script each time. I wanted to give our student performers and our audience an authentic theatrical experience such as it used to be.

Teddy's charge ends Act I; Mortimer's timely entrance ends Act II. Kesselring structured this classic to have two intermissions at the points he placed them. I used them exactly as scripted.

Running time with two 15 minute intermissions: approximately 2:35.  This is not a big deal.

Intermissions are necessary for the following: audience socializing, restroom break, concessions, souvenirs, cast and crew get a break, make up and costume changes, set changes, clean up, etc.

The audience exits having had a good old fashioned night at the theatre, and the cast and crew learn something about theatre history.

It's your call; you have the vision as the director, and you know your audience.

We did not receive one complaint. 

This is a classic evergreen play and a magical night at the theatre!

CHARGE!

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI

• 3.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-26-2016 11:25

I did the same thing.  Two intermissions!  Great time to have concessions :)

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

• 4.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-26-2016 08:15

Having two intermissions is fine. If you're worried about time, then shorten the intermission to 8 or 10 min each time. Audience members won't mind and will probably be glad for the stretch break. We're doing it as well this January! Best wishes!

Sara Danke
    Wisconsin Rapids WI

• 5.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-26-2016 08:54
    Two brief (10-15 min.) intermissions let's your cast & crew prepare and helps you sell more concessions.

Love that show! Break a leg.

Kate Arthurs-Goldberg, M.A.
    Director, Jesuit Philelectic Society

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace intermission -advice please

Posted 10-27-2016 10:57

I directed this last year, and used the first intermission, but combined Act II-III. It worked, but it was still a 2 hour show. Audience didn't seem to mind, as long as the pace stayed up.

JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA