Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-05-2018 10:07
    Hi All

I've been looking into She Kills Monsters and I know there are two versions of the script. The original and then the young adventurers edition. I saw the show at our Thespian Conference a few years ago and all the characters were in high school. I can't seem to find that version. Does it not exist or did they make those changes themselves? I'm confused! If anyone has any ideas/insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Jordanne 
    Drama Director
    Estes Park, CO

• 2.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-05-2018 10:35
    If there is a high school version of this script I would like to know as well!

------------------------------
    Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 3.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-05-2018 12:10
    I think the version you are talking about IS the Young Adventurers version.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-06-2018 05:43
    Here is the link I think you are looking for: https://www.samuelfrench.com/p/9764/she-kills-monsters-young-adventurers-edition

Colleen Mylott
    Lafayette CO

• 5.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-06-2018 07:02
    There are actually three versions of the script in existence. The original red version has all the profanity and adult jokes. There was a blue version out a few years ago, and an updated young adventurer's edition that the playwright revised. I happened to be in contact with him during that time (September 2016)

One of the changes between the two blue editions is that Tilly as transgender rather than a lesbian. My middle offspring (non binary, they/them) was upset because that made Tilly's relationship hetro-normative.

I suspect you may have seen a production of the older young adventurer's edition. As far as I know the revised YA edition is the only one available for production.

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 6.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-06-2018 07:46
    That is actually a great question. We chose "She Kills Monsters" because I kept hearing about it, and another school in my area had done it a couple of years prior. The last time it was discussed on this forum, I was very confused because people were comparing the two versions, saying that the YA version was vastly inferior. I had compared the two scripts line by line and the only differences was the switching of a few swear words and re-writing a certain rant that originally referred to smelly female parts. The old YA version was almost identical to the adult version. I ordered extra scripts and received the revised 2016 version and only read the first few pages to discover that it was completely different. Suddenly the chatter on this forum made sense! 

I don't know if it is possible to get permission to perform the older version of the YA script but I would think you could get the adult script and get permission to edit it the way the old YA script was written. My kids loved this show.

Ava Grimm
    Carrollton TX

• 7.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-06-2018 12:18
    We are going through this right now. I think we are now using the original version (where Agnes and Vera are adults) the "new" YA version (pink spine I believe) where they are high schoolers totally changes the relationships within the show. 
    Agreed, it is all very confusing!

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL

• 8.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-09-2018 12:12
    We just closed the Young Adventurers Edition and it was great! I actually prefer it to the original as I think it flows better and is way more relatable to the high school actors and audience. It does change the relationships and they can be a little bit more ambiguous, which bothers some, but I found it to be a little bit of a nod (perhaps intentionally) to the exploration phase of being a teenager and figuring out your sexuality/relationships/etc. If done well it can be very meaningful. Our cast, crew and audience loved it and it led to some powerful conversations. Yay theatre! Happy to answer any questions you have. Feel most welcome to email me directly.

Have a wonderful show!
    Sarah

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 9.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-11-2018 15:53
    We did the Young Adventurers Edition in November 2016.  The blue script says "Revised 2016 Edition" on the title page.  All the characters are in high school.  In this version, Tilly is not definitely lesbian or transgender, which I thought worked well.  Lilith is a lesbian, but we don't ever find out anything solid about Tilly, except that she was a good friend and great warrior in D & D.  My students had a great time doing it, and audiences were very moved.

If Qui Nguyen has changed it yet again, after this "Revised 2015 Edition," someone needs to tell him to quit messing with it.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 10.  RE: She kills monsters script differences

Posted 12-18-2018 06:01
    It's just great, and it's nice to know.You are well versed in teenage relationships.I love Young Adventurers 2016 - Meetville was amazing

Kenneth Gauthier
    Shawinigan AB