Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drowsy Murphy bed

Posted 12-05-2018 06:53
    I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about the Murphy bed in The Drowsy Chaperone.  Did you use a real bed or did you construct something?  Besides "Nightingale," is there any other advice you would offer?  Did you use roller skates for "Accident"?
    Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    [Karen] [Malone]
    [National Board Certified Teacher of English]
    IB Theatre Teacher
    ITS Advisor
    [Commack High Schoo]
    [Commack] [New York]

• 2.  RE: Drowsy Murphy bed

Posted 12-05-2018 09:47
    Karen, we used a real bed, but rather than having it fold down like a Murphy bed, we had it hidden behind a low bookshelf.  The bookshelf was slid to the side and the bed rolled in.  It was easy to do this way.

Brad

Brad Schmidt
    Belleville IL

• 3.  RE: Drowsy Murphy bed

Posted 12-06-2018 08:51
    We used a chaise that also came out of a bookcase, then we didn't have to worry about the mechanics of a murphy.

We did use roller skates.  The biggest thing we made sure of was that the actor could actually see through the blind fold that he was wearing, and he felt very comfortable with his scene partner.

For Nightingale, we didn't use the actors that are in the script.  I used ensemble members that I added in the show (they were also wedding guests, maids, etc.) . The ensemble members used Bunraku style puppets to do this scene.  That made the scene look completely different from the rest of show and added humor in an otherwise awkward scene.  We were lucky to have Lisa Lambert, the lyricist, in the audience one night and she found that scene to be a great way of doing it.

Enjoy the show.  Putting it together was a blast!

Justin

Justin Indovina
    Director/Dept. Chair
    Brooklyn NY