Open Forum

View Only

Students alter script intentionally

• 1.  Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-21-2018 23:32
    Just closed a wonderful run of Curtains (High School Edition), but on the closing performance most of the male ensemble decided to alter lyrics without my (the director) permission. I guess they thought it was funny. I found it disrespectful, unprofessional, and a violation of our licensing agreement. 
    My question is what consequences would you recommend? There is little I can do with the seniors, but I need to set an example for the program's future.

------------------------------
    Sean Blauvelt
    Arroyo Grande CA

• 2.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 06:29
    I am not a teacher, but in the community or professional world, to do this to a show I directed would mean that they would never be cast by me again! I don't care how good they are. As a performer you are to give a performance of the production, you are not allowed to alter text without written permission, you need to give the exact show that was rehearsed every performance as not to cheat the audience. I am not sure what the extents of your punishment can be on the high school level, but I would:

Not cast them in any future productions.
    Remove any Thespian honors used for graduation
    Have all cast members in the future sign a contract that states they will not alter material.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 07:33
    This happened years ago during a fall play - and the HS administration dealt with it according to our district policy of "insubordination" - failure to follow a directive from a teacher/staff member.

At the very least to make the senior serve some sort of detention - or better yet, some type of community service where they need to help clean/improve the auditorium space?  For a senior at our school who makes a bad choice this close to the end of the year, they would also be risking their ability to participate in senior activities like the class trip, class picnic - and depending on the severity of the incident - even the ability to walk in the graduation ceremony.

I would hope that your administration would support some sort of punishment level that fits the crime. Accountability is key, and I agree - if it isn't dealt with properly, you risk it happening in future years by others.

Hang in there! The 4th marking period is always the biggest struggle!
    Missy

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 4.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 08:04
    it is spelled out in my production contract that any willfull alteration of the script or performance is subject to school discipline. In this case, they would be referred to the principal for disciplinary action. 

I had to do this once before with students who violently destroyed set pieces after the house cleared on closing night. 

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 08:21
    I had a similar situation when I started at my present position 10 years ago.  I did the following and we've never had an incident of "intentional editing" to a performance since.

Make it a teachable moment about contracts, professional conduct, and law enforcement:
    Explain to the underclassmen that such incidences will be met with the same consequences as hazing.  Make sure they know - the first day of school, or the first day or rehearsal - that such things have legal consequences and could ultimately lead to the elimination the school musical.

Potential punishments (i.e., threats), that are put in writing on their audition form for all shows.  Students and their parents must sign the form or they cannot audition:
    - They don't walk at graduation.  
    - Their diploma is withheld until a written or formal apology is made.
    - You withhold, or don't even write, letters of recommendation

After three years of including the "threat" list, a tradition of professional courtesy took hold and I decided to eliminate it from our current contract.  So far (knock wood), we have had no problems for the last several years.

Hope this helps!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 6.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 09:47
    We were doing Shrek TYA version and I had students alter the script (purposefully) on the last night of the production.  I chose to do the TYA version because the script had been "cleaned-up" and was/is more appropriate for younger audiences.  After the first offense from a student, I sat up straight in my chair wondering where this was going.  After the second offense, a young girl I was sitting behind said to her mother "Why is Donkey swearing?" At that point I got up, went backstage and confronted both Donkey & Shrek and told them that in no uncertain terms was this to stop, and that I had no choice but to right them up for insubordination and that the school administration would be dealing with them.

After the show closed, both actors apologized to me and to the class for their unprofessional behavior and both served a one-day suspension.

Kind of radical but fortunately the school administration supported me, and used them as an example.  I haven't had a problem since.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 7.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 09:58
    High school theatre is different in so many ways from how I was trained, and we certainly don't have a 2nd and 3rd string as in football.  Through the years I've told my student actors that there are only two things I had over behavior like this:  1) not casting them again, and 2) not writing a letter of recommendation.  
    Many students wouldn't think about the second one, because they don't think that they may need you in the future.  However, the casting issue is one they do think about AND I did (one time) NOT cast someone due to behavior backstage that caused the famous "7-minute scene change".
    Here it is the end of the year, when the teather of patience is frayed.  Have a great summer!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, 2000-2018
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    Troup 5596, I.T.S.
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 8.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 10:23
    ​I haven't had pranks for many years, but have dealt with them in the past by not casting a student again. I stress that each audience deserves the respect of the same performance, that the playwright deserves the respect for his/her words and the publishers expects compliance with the contract. Worst prank ever? The tech crew decided it would be funny to substitute vinegar for the water used in the prop glasses. Had two kids barely make it through the scene before a speedy exit and puke in the hallway. That garnered a three-day suspension for those involved as the admin called it assault.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 9.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 10:34
    I know just how disappointing and embarrassing such behavior can be. Set consequences and be sure to make these consequences clear before performances begin. Be creative but fair. My students have to serve nine hours (three hours over three days) cleaning the prop and costume closet for intentionally changing the script. If they fail to show up for this "detention," they will lose the Thespian points they earned for the show. Very rarely I will have an actor that feels it's worth the punishment, but most do not.

Valerie Gargus
    NJ Thespians Festival Director
    Play & Thespian Troupe Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 10.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 10:45
    The first thing we do about something like that is to deny the students credit for the show on their Thespian records.  Such credit is supposed to recognize excellent, honorable work in the theatre, and clearly that standard was not upheld here.

Depending on the type and severity of the offense, as some have already noted, school disciplinary action can also be called into play.  I once did this for a student-written play when profanity was worked into a previously cleared script during rehearsals, and I told both the writer and the performer to remove it, and yet it appeared in the first performance anyway.  Just to protect myself, I wrote up those two students and let my school administration handle it, so that if anyone contacted me to complain about the language in the show, I could honestly say that it had been referred through proper channels.

Blackballing the student from future casting is an extreme step.  For me, that would depend upon the severity of the offense and/or my estimation of the genuineness of any apology or repentance that the student offered.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 11.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-22-2018 15:48
    I also agree with removing all earned graduation honors and bringing admin into the issue. After all, the school could be liable for violating a signed contract...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 12.  RE: Students alter script intentionally

Posted 05-23-2018 08:35
    I agree that some punishment needs to happen.  I would lean more toward the students involved having to make a public apology to the school, explaining why what they did was wrong.  If you have filmed announcements or intercom announcements, it could happen then.  

I've never had students make changes to the closing night, but I have heard horror stories, and I've had students come in from programs where that happens routinely.  For that reason, I always take a green room moment as we do warm-ups for the final performance.  I remind the students of how hard we have worked together to create the production, and tell them that they will never have this particular audience for this particular show again, and that is part of the magic of theatre.  I encourage them to make the final performance the very best that they have done in this show that we have created collaboratively.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC