Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  School-Save Red Smoke

Posted 09-26-2017 11:29
    I'm looking for a way to make a puff of red smoke for the witch in The Wizard of Oz. I want to do the effect at least once on stage without setting off smoke alarms. We have a fairly large PAC with a fly system and 44'x18' proscenium. I don't know much about special effects and would appreciate any help.

Ideally I'd like a quick effect (5-10 seconds) that comes on in the wing and precedes her entrance. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 2.  RE: School-Save Red Smoke

Posted 09-27-2017 06:44
    We did something like this with our production of Macbeth over the summer.  We used a large flash pot filled with flash cotton that was mixed with red special effects compound.  If you want more info I get you the supplier.  That effect was used on the end of a staff...ttps://store.metermall.com/s104r-colored-smoke-emitters-red-p303.aspx  (I believe this is where we got the compound)  I can double check with someone though.

no matter how big or small the effect is you should always test it with the fire alarm system and see if it will set it off.....

If you want a larger effect I would go up to colored smoke cartridges.... there are a few theatrical SFX supply houses.. here is one of them.
    http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo-cs102-smoke-cartridges.html

Hope this helps!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh Brashear High School
    Photography/Theatre
    Pittsburgh Pa

• 3.  RE: School-Save Red Smoke

Posted 09-27-2017 07:57
    I looked at the second link earlier, but they didn't have anything shorter than 45 seconds and that was even only in white. :( I'll check out this Metermall link. Thanks!

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 4.  RE: School-Save Red Smoke

Posted 09-27-2017 10:18
    Would colored powder work? 

Here's a link to making your own: Homemade (Nontoxic) Colored Powder

And here's some on Amazon: Festival Colors (Rangoli) Holi High Quality Colors, 50 Gram Packets (Pack of 10)

I'm not certain if they would make too much of a mess, but you shouldn't have to worry about the smoke alarm.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance