Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-09-2015 22:58

Lots of things we do in class and rehearsal  are devised, and while I want students input and creativity, they often speak without raising hands, speak over eachother, and basically turn an organic process into chaos. How can I be open to their ideas while still maintaining control as a teacher and my vision as a director? Usually because we spend so much time discussing, I end up shutting the ideas down just so we can see SOMETHING fleshed out that I had in mindbefore stopping again to discuss it. 

------------------------------

Elizabeth Simmons

Elizabeth Simmons

• 2.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-10-2015 19:14

I've found a book that I really like, lately.  It has some good exercises and she talks a lot in the first chapter about the need for a balanced relationship between the demands of teacher -- director; school -- theater; student driven creation -- safety and cooperation.  I've been reading the book lately and have been sharing some passages with my students. They seem to really appreciate some of the discussion and philosophy she shares in the book.

At Play: Teaching Teenagers Theater by Elizabeth Swaddos

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-12-2015 05:02
    Great book. I used it a lot and it helps with the process issues. I also found Michael Rohd's book, Theatre for Community Conflict and Dialogue: The Hope is Vital Training Manual very useful for process points. For the record I used his structure with over 50 middle school students in devising work.
    Richard Silberg
    (currently an English Language Fellow in Cambodia, formerly drama/esl teacher Martin Luther King middle school, Berkeley, Ca.)

• 4.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-12-2015 21:17

I also use this book and add my own flair to the process. It is wonderful to see students use this or Boal's techniques to create moving theatre.
    Karin Stratton
    Director / Instructor
    MSD of Pike Township
    Indianapolis IN

• 5.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-12-2015 02:22

I always have set rules that are implemented from day 1 and posted in my room, the most important of which is one microphone (only one person speaks at a time and I require hands). I also go over rehearsal etiquette where we discuss appropriate times for questions and ideas v. inappropriate times and questions.  For group projects and rehearsals, my students complete group work contracts which sets up expectations for collaboration is rehearsals or script writing.  If group members don't follow the guidelines, they can be fired by their group members and have to do an independent project.  hope some of this helps.

Heathe Stecklein
    Theatre Director/Teacher
    Aurora CO

• 6.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-13-2015 10:40

It is challenging!  

I've done devised theatre as a participant with adults, and as a teacher with high school and now middle school students.  Balancing the amount of discussion with the amount of 'doing' is a challenge with all ages.

Middle school students really want to have their say, so I often use large sheets of paper and graffiti style for brainstorming, comments, pros/cons, questions to explore, "What do we know? What do we want to find out?" and more.  I also use exit tickets - share an idea, voice an opinion ... whatever the focus is at that time.  I can read the exit tickets outside of class time, and can be ready to present them with a decision (I keep more artistic control with middle school than I used to with high school), the results of their vote, or a narrowed-down choice ready for a vote.  Both of these methods help to cut down on the discussion time, while still allowing all students to express their ideas.

And I, too, strictly enforce one speaker at a time and hand raising.  If they have been talking for a long time and I want to move them on, I will clearly say:  "Three more comments, let's hear from people who haven't spoken yet."  Then I stick to it (usually!).

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 7.  RE: Managing Student Collaboration?

Posted 10-14-2015 00:23

Thanks everyone!   Heathe what do u frame as appropriate vs inappropriate times?

Elizabeth Simmons