Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 11-30-2016 08:59

We are about to start working on CATCH ME IF YOU CAN for our local high school Spring musical. Are there any special problems, pitfalls or concerns we should be aware of ? Musical ? Technical ? Casting ? Thanks in advance for any input.

------------------------------
    Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 2.  RE: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 11-30-2016 14:47

I think this might help, Jessica Harms shared her experience with this show here. Break a leg!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 12-01-2016 08:42

Thank you. Good things to consider here.

Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 4.  RE: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 12-01-2016 08:06

I've music directed Catch with adults, and the biggest thing is that it's high for the men! The good news is that it's not too high for women. I was lucky that I had one or two great high, light, tenors to cover the highest stuff. But, overall, I just added women to the male part in a lot of numbers, particularly Don't Break the Rules. This made our choreographer happy, as she then used them in the number, to great success. 

The harmonies are tight, and it's a non-stop show, but lots of fun. Goodbye is particularly high as well. Our lead took it upon himself to write all of the parts down a step, for everyone in the pit as well, because he wanted to do what he wanted to do. The quicker solution, if that last modulation is too high, is to keep the ending, but skip the modulation, by having the musicians repeat what they played in the previous verse. 

Have fun! 

Julie Ann Hawk
    Drama Director
    Meade High School
    Ft. Meade, MD

• 5.  RE: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 12-01-2016 08:46

Thank you. I've passed this on to the music director/teacher as well.

Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 6.  RE: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Concerns

Posted 12-01-2016 11:20

I directed "Catch Me If you Can" at Sycamore High School in Cincinnati and I concur with the challenges the score presents.  The harmonies are tight and some tracks call for 6+parts.  The range of Frank in particular.  We choose to use MTI's transpositions on demand  ($125 a tune I think) for the opening number and I think one other.  We had a fabulous young tenor who could sing all of the notes but there are just so many tunes that stamina was concern.  I thought giving him confidence at the beginning and not overtaxing his voice in a tune with great choreo could really help.

Hanratty is also challenging. Norbet Leo Butz's performance on the sound track is awesome, but a young high school  baritone trying to mimic his style can lead to problems.  I advise early intervention vocally in this role as well. Good support in the spoken  

Our set design was similar to the original Broadway with the band on stage and it worked well.  An area for projections to help the audience keep up with the many changes in location helped our production.

John Whapham
    Cincinnati OH