Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-07-2016 17:02

So I'm working on finalizing my school's season for the year, and we're having a hard time picking a play for the spring to do. I've written plays in the past and have a couple that I feel would be fun for my students; however, I wasn't sure if doing that is something the theatre education community would approve of. 

My thinking was that if I did this, I would in no way pay myself any "royalty fees" and I would use a pseudonym. 

For some context, in the fall we do student written plays, so they also have an opportunity to create their own shows. 

What are people's thoughts? 

------------------------------
    Ranger Puterbaugh
    Theatre Teacher
    Union OH

• 2.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-07-2016 21:16

Have your top class read it without telling them who wrote it so you will get honest feedback. If they like it, do it, and don't bother with a pseudonym - if they like the play, they will like/respect you even more. Of course, if they don't like it, listen to their criticism and choose something else. 

I've been through the exact same process. Luckily, the students loved the play, and we put it on with great success. 

One suggestion: if you do go with your own play, listen to the students' suggestions and be willing to incorporate them. I ended up adding a few new characters, and also changed some of the dialogue due to student suggestions.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-08-2016 06:55

I concur with Kenneth. I, too, have produced work I've written or adapted. It's anot invaluable process for both you the writer and the student actors. Developing a show, and essentially workshopping it, is a process most students won't experience any other way. And there's no reason to use a pseudonym, as long as the focus is on the students and the literature, no one should object to who wrote it. 

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 4.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-08-2016 12:52

I too have produced and directed my original works. I think it was a really good learning experience for the kids. I asked them to tell me where they found the lines difficult to say or understand and used their suggestions to make the piece more understandable for the audience (it was classical...). Don't be afraid to go for it!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-08-2016 13:21

I directed a play I wrote for our full-length fall show a couple of years ago.  But I did not make the decision to do that alone.  Our Thespian troupe helps me in making decisions about our season, and this time was no different.  

First, we scheduled a long troupe meeting, and they took parts and read it aloud while I took notes.  Then they commented, using the response method we use in class, adapted from Liz Lerman's Critical Response.  It was helpful for me to hear what seemed vivid and intriguing to them and what questions they had that were not answered by the current script.  At the end of the meeting, I had them vote on whether or not to do the play, because we had been considering a couple of other works.

Then I revised.

Then I had a class of students read it.  Same response method.  

Then I revised.

By the time we held auditions and started rehearsing, the script was virtually set.  I made only a couple of minor line changes during the rehearsals.  

I actually had very little trouble directing my own work, because I just slipped out of the writer shoes and into the director shoes, looking for clues in the text as I would with a published play by any other author.

I did not ask for royalties.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-09-2016 10:08

Hello & perfect timing with this conversation...

I would love to know more about this "workshop" process because I am in the midst of making a decision to put up an original work this year in the Spring if the students like it.

Thanks!

Richard Reliford
    Director of Student Life, Leadership Development and Theatre Arts
    West Hollywood, CA

• 7.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-08-2016 11:43

When I was teaching full-time, I wrote a pair of short plays as "curtain raisers" so that we could involve more students in the production (one of them was Twisting Carol, which was mentioned on the board a few weeks back). We did premiere a full-length play of mine, War of the Buttons, but that was done by the other drama teacher, not me.

I think if the play is legit, there's nothing wrong with mounting an original work you've created. But there's another concern to consider: while there are certainly examples to the contrary, many/most playwrights think it's not necessarily a great idea to direct your own work, particularly the first production of it. The problem is that certain things are clear to you about the play because you wrote it, but they may not necessarily be as clear to an audience--only you won't know what they are. An outside director (i.e. someone who didn't write the thing), on the other hand, will see those things the way an audience might, and therefore will know what needs to be explicated better via the production. It's why I've almost always avoided directing the first productions of my own work (except for that time when I was freelancing and I needed those directing stipends to make rent!).

The one time I did it with one of my full-lengths back in college, a friend who was a very experienced director assisted me, basically standing over my shoulder and periodically telling me, "No, that doesn't work." So my suggestion would be if you do it, if you've got a colleague--or a student who has shown an interest in directing and a good eye--who can periodically stand over your shoulder, that would be wise. (While a student cast can tell you how they respond to the play, they can't tell you in a production if it's working, because they're IN it.)

In any case, break legs.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-09-2016 14:44

I think Jonathan's advice is priceless. Some folks can write their work and then step off into director mode, and I think what's been said here is valuable in terms of revising the work, revising the work, revising the work is also a really good practice.

Don't feel the need to hide behind a pseudonym. People can tell the difference straight away if you're doing it for self-aggrandizement, or if it is for the benefit of the students. If students help substantially in the writing/re-writing, you could highlight that in the production programs.

Great question! Great discussion!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: Ethics behind using a play you've written

Posted 08-11-2016 07:54

I have done this lots! I love to write, and when I write something I can keep my kids in mind and/or adjust to my needs for my kids. I can create a character to accommodate the new student who moved in during rehearsal process or cut a scene that just isn't working, or change a line! Kids love waking on original work. One of our local theatres does a new play festival..... Every play starts with someone workshopping it! No one is going to think you are bragging or self serving. The kids want to be on stage and the parents are happy to see them there.

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC