Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comedic Monologue for College Audition

Posted 03-04-2018 10:08
    I am trying to help a student find a comedic monologue for her Howard audition. I suggested Anna Christie as her dramatic. She played Dorothy in The Wiz this year to give you an idea of her type. She has a very sweet, soft voice. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Comedic Monologue for College Audition

Posted 03-05-2018 12:55
    I love Topsy's monologue at the end of The Colored Museum by George C. Wolfe.  It is energetic and sassy.

Molly's conversation with Mattie in Joe Turner's Come and Gone by August Wilson can be put together for another spunky monologue for a woman of color.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 3.  RE: Comedic Monologue for College Audition

Posted 03-06-2018 15:22
    Playing off of C.J.'s suggestion, and relying on what Taylor said about the student's disposition, I would recommend "Git on Board" from The Colored Museum.  On the surface, Miss Pat should be the stereotypical cheery flight attendant, for an ironic contrast with the extremely dark situation that she's describing.

And, Taylor, since I'm right here across town, I'd be happy to lend you a copy of the script if you promise to get it back to me!

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: Comedic Monologue for College Audition

Posted 03-07-2018 06:08
    Thank you, Jeff & CJ. These are just what I was looking for. Jeff, I really appreciate the offer. I Amazon Primed it yesterday. I look forward to seeing you at State!

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL