Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Directors

Posted 10-25-2016 21:23

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice about how to best utilize a student director? I'm also wondering how and when you select this person and what responsibilities are they given when you are producing a show? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rebecca McMillan
    Drama Teacher
    Lake Worth FL

• 2.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 10-26-2016 06:16

My students submit applications in May to be on the production team for shows in the next school year. They must justify what makes them right for a position.

AD's pick sides for cold readings at auditions, they assist with casting, they attend rehearsals, help block, I usually give them a scene that is solely theirs to block, we work together on many choices, they take notes during rehearsals, collect bios, and make a curtain speech at one performance.

Benjamin Sims
    Indian Trail NC

• 3.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 10-26-2016 09:30

I have students submit letters prior to auditions for all production positions (Assistant Directors, Stage Manager, Crew Heads). In it they say why they feel qualified. For an assistant director (we have student directed One Acts in the winter, so for the productions I direct, they are called Assistant Directors) I look for someone with some acting experience. They are the cheerleaders of the production, helping and encouraging the cast.  

They help run auditions, help select scenes for cold readings, as well as situations for improv, they help cast the show and then run rehearsals. After I model some warm-ups, they run those every night. They take down blocking, assist with scenes when I am called to a crew, become prompters for lines, keep track of errors, assist with character sketches, run show line blasts, etc. They do whatever you want them to, and is in their ability. I have had them run lines with students having trouble, work on character walks and stances with actors, give notes at the end of rehearsal and pass out candy to people who have 90% of their lines that night, and so on. They also take care of the sign in sheets since they are responsible for attendance, and often call students on the phone who have not shown up.

All of these duties can be split with the Stage Manager, who also takes down blocking, however this person also takes notes during rehearsal if a prop is added by an actor, etc. Their focus is going to be running the show technically, where the Assistant Director is focused on getting the actors ready. Both students are the first to arrive and the last to leave every night. Between them they get the space ready for the night, and then get everything put away and locked up when it is time to leave.

Some students are better Assistant Directors than others, however I am thrilled to have their help and every one of them grows in their knowledge of theatre. They are often better actors after assuming this job, and develop more confidence and leadership abilities.

At this time I have two assistant directors, who are so enthusiastic they have even researched other warm ups to run with the cast, and have been giving excellent character notes every night. Each of them is reading the character sketches the cast has written, and is taking their jobs so seriously, I am free to just watch rehearsal.

I recommend using students in this position, as they will become vital members and leaders of your troupe.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 4.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 10-28-2016 21:24

Thank you all so much for your input and advice re: student directors. This is my second year teaching high school drama and my student directors, so far, have sort of ended up with the task (once it was a student who wasn't cast in the role they wanted and another time it was a student who didn't see themselves playing one of the roles in a particular production, but still want to be part of it). It's also been a mixed bag of skill sets, levels of responsibility and dependability. But to be fair, because I am new, I have felt I have something to prove so I've been reluctant to delegate and unsure of what I should delegate. Thank you for your comments and helping me rethink my approach!

Rebecca McMillan
    Drama Teacher
    Lake Worth FL

• 5.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 10-26-2016 14:00

I have both an Acting 1 and Acting 2 class and I use my student directors (seniors only, with multiple years in the program) to direct a one act play in my Acing 1 class. I let them pick the show, make the casting decisions, create the vision and direct the students. I have a big role in it by meeting with them regularly, talking them through the casting process and I do offer my opinion when need be. I see it a lot like having a student teacher. If I am in the room while the rehearsal is taking place, the students are often coming to me to ask questions or seek guidance, so I am pretty hands off when it comes to rehearsals. I do pop in occasionally to make sure everyone is on task and my room has an adjoining door to the stage so I always have that open so that I can be aware of what is going on without being seen. I wish I could have underclassman direct because my directors always walk away with a new appreciation of what I do and they seem to do a better job of keeping their peers on task from then on out. :)

Allison Knoll
    Teacher
    Rathdrum, ID

• 6.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 10-31-2016 14:59

These are all great suggestions, some of which I'm already doing, sort of; and many of which I will try.

Here's another: What can your student director bring to the show that you can't? Use them for their individuality and creativity. 

This spring our Drama Club is doing Midsummer, and I know how wonderful that show can be with the addition of music, but that is not my strong suit. Enter my student director, who is also the drum major and knows half a dozen musicals by heart. He will take on designing and arranging some musical interludes for the play (with the partnership and mentorship of myself and the band director), and when we hit rehearsal he will take charge of that part of the play. (We'll see how it goes - I'll keep you posted)

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 11-01-2016 09:38

I have a Drama 4 course, which is like an independent study.  That student will work with the Drama 1 students.  I include the Drama 4 student in lesson plans and we build our way up to directing.  I allow this student to write and direct.  At this point, the student has been exposed to writing, production, and directing.  For the most part, it has been a great experience for everyone involved.      

Kayla Wilson
    Hillsboro OH

• 8.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 11-03-2016 10:59

I have 2 distinct types of student directors in my department. For the Student-Direct Shorts  the kids have to complete a full application and, depending on how many I get, they may have to go through an interview process before I allow them to direct their peers. I can provide the application if you are interested. It's in-depth enough that I can get a really good idea of who has strong ideas and has done the prep work.

For my main stage productions... I sometime allow students to direct a main stage performance; and only if they are a senior (in spring). Before I will even consider them for a role of this nature they have to have stage managed at least 2 productions and asst directed at least 1. If they have the experience under their belt I let them read the play for the spring and come to talk to me about their thematic ideas, we talk and, if necessary, they go re-work their ideas before coming back for another chat. Regardless of their position I am always responsible for casting and producing the pieces. I don't believe it's fair to ask kids to cast their peers for a big production. If anyone is going to be the "bad guy" it's going to be me...  ;)

I do find that the student directed pieces can be very interesting. The kids have a good sense as to what appeals to their peers (which helps with ticket sales) and come up with some really creative thematic choices (maybe because they don't know that their ideas won't "work") that turn out to be really interesting to watch. I tell my kids regularly that they are more creative than I am. They just need to have the confidence to go with their choices and allowing a student to direct really helps with that (not to mention it looks good on scholarship applications - just a side benefit).

I have, and will continue, to tell kids "no" if I don't think they have the ability to handle something of this nature. It's a lot of responsibility and directing your peers can be very difficult so they need to have the personality to handle that as well. Overall though, I like to give kids the opportunity to try if possible. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Student Directors

Posted 11-09-2016 12:34

Thank you everyone!!

Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia